At Last!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John From Detroit

Due primarly to the COVID-mess it tool me till this month to get a copy of the Title for my motor home so insurance could pay me.
Finally got it, messed it up. took them a week to figure out how to deal with that then we E-mailed a few thigns back and forth one day
This AM on the way back from the lab (Dang girl called in sick again, so got to go back tomorrow) I checked my mail box.
CHECK WAS THERE So this afternoon (Well lunch time) I "hit" the bank,, ,I did not notice but Insurance company uses same bank!!!!
So instead of a 2.3.5 or 7 day hold it was Instant deposit.. Snagged 100 cash to re-fill my wallet from ATM and outta there.
Tomorrow I have already found a car on line. my 2001 is getting a bit long in the tooth and thin in the frame per the last person to look at it.

So This time tomorrow I will be driving a still used but a whole lot LESS used small JEEP (like a compass or a liberty I hope) YIPPIE.

And what's more I'll owe $0.00 out the drive.

Sounds great, congrats. My opinion, and probably not going to be highly agreed upon, but I had a Jeep Liberty once, one of my daughters high school car. Great condition, but just was an endless money pit. Got rid of it and bought her a Toyo when she went off to college, never a problem. My 2 cents, nothing against jeeps, but there sure are a whole lot more vehicles out there that will cost a whole lot less to keep on the road, and a whole lot more dependable. Just my opinion, but finding a Honda Pilot or CRV or Toyo Rav 4 would possibly save you lots going forward. I say this with the kindest intent, I hope you find and get the perfect next vehicle with the least amount of problems. Be sure to post pics of your next ride.

We had a 2009 Jeep Compass as a run about car at the family business until it was totaled in an accident around 2014. It was ok, though interior ergonomics were lacking, and it was not all that comfortable to ride in, plus it was slow. Of course it was a base model with a manual transmission. It was also cheap at under $10,000 new end of model year clearance sale.

I have driven a Liberty.. The Compass is near as I can tell not much different. I really enjoyed the Liberty (it was a a 2013 or a 2014.. When Enterprise handed me the keys it had 11 miles on it. Over 300 miles later I handed 'em back).

Yes Jeeps are a bit more expensive to maintain but I've been wanting a jeep for about 55 years.

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport. 2012 was the last year of the Liberty AFAIK. I got it in 2015 with about 30k miles on it off lease. I really, really like it overall. To me it's the last year the Jeeps looked like Jeeps - I hate the cats eye headlights of later Jeeps. The new truck looks a lot better and I might consider a used one if my Liberty ever dies. It currently has about 120k on it.

The good is that it's big and heavy and a Jeep. I get about 28mpg on highway and about 22mpg around town. I've towed 5,000 pounds and like all vehicles at the limit of capacity it's not a fun tow. I've towed up to 4,000 pounds cross country. The 4WD system is electronic but never had an issue with it. For me it's a very comfortable cross country warrior and I have driven it to the west coast 3 times. I have had up to 15 hour days in the saddle with not too much fatigue.

The bad - The electronics are pretty dodgy. The main thing is that periodically all the 4WD, Cruise, anti skid and ABS lights come on. It "seems" like it's related to a wheel speed sensor but it's not. Guys have gone so far as to replace transmissions and transfer cases trying to solve this - sometimes at a dealer and near as I can tell all dealers are clueless.

The best theory I have found is there is a connector in the driver's kick panel that gets wet or goes intermittent. When the lights are on the cruise and the 4WD will not work. However the vehicle is still driveable and I have driven up to 200 miles with the lights on (in the middle of a trip). The nutso part is that after a shut down and restart the lights will often go out.

Mine did this repeatedly in like 2017-2018. I ignored it and it hasn't happened in 2+ years.

The rear cargo area dome light gets a failure/short in it. The fix is to disconnect it from the "manual" switch - it still works with the passenger door sensors - weird.

The latest electrical glitch is that if you shut the car off with the wipers "on" sometimes they won't come back to life after start up. Wiggle the wipers manually (in the rain - LOL) and they fire right back up. If you remember to shut them off before shutting the car off it's not a problem.

Finally the driver door window switch is a but dodgy - I have to wiggle it to make it go back up. It's been doing that for 2 years and I am sure at some point I will get stranded with the window down and have to replace the switch.

So that's the long term review of the Jeep Liberty - I love it but the electrics are really "crap" IMO. If I had the money I would have bought a 4-runner as much as I like to "buy American."

Well wound up with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude about 25MPG So far. Rides nice. Drives nice, Roomy Way easier to get in an out of. Quieter. Phone BT-s to Radio so I can play WTWW TX-2 or music files stored on phone.. So far liking it greatrly... Silver is not the best color but I will wash it frequently :) A bit more than I hoped to pay but I still have a couple thousand to toss at the credit card balance left over. That's nice.

Congrats. I bought silver this time, I find it stays a lot cleaner than I thought it would.

Congrats, I hope it works out well for you, my wife has a 2017 Cherokee Overland edition, which we bought 3 years ago as an end of model year deal. So far it has been a good car, just had our first issue with it a couple of days ago when a warning light went off, and dash displayed, "service shifter" , she parked it for a couple of hours, and the warning has not came back since.

Congrats. I bought silver this time, I find it stays a lot cleaner than I thought it would.
I've always found this kinda funny. I don't think it "stays" a lot cleaner. I suspect it gets just as dirty as any other colored car. Silver just manages to hide the dirt a lot better than other colors. But hey, I've been know to be wrong before...it says so in my signature block!

Ed you are correct, lol.. coming from a guy with a dark color :ROFLMAO:. My post should read... I bought silver this time, I find it stays 'looking' a lot cleaner than I thought it would. After cleaning it up yesterday I can attest, the dirt is still there.

Well I will say so far I'm very pleased.. I meant to try a trick to CD today but alas forgot to take it down (I can always haul a laptop down and Blue tooth to it)

Few things I'd like better. and some are optional So I'm going to be happy.

One thing is it has, it appears 3 12 volt DC outlets now one is either switched or not and I get to choose! (once I find the fuse that is)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom