AT&T (Direct TV) muddy's the waters a bit more....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I came across this article a few nights ago. AT&T CEO makes a bold statement about "cleaning up the customer base" in a talk at a JP Morgan conference. He doesn't give details about exactly who that customer is, but it is interesting.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/atts-ceo-wants-you-to-cancel-directv-now-directv/

That's the wild card Scott. I am sure that there is a "line" that they feel is the profit vs non-profit group. They just won't tell us what that is.

It appears they want you go go away if you have 'basic' Service and want you to subscribe to a bunch of Premimum services.

The only costs to them for customers is
1: Equipment
2: Billing
3: Programming. (that's the big cost) but the cost of programming is dependent on the number of paying customers.

I have said many times that Sat TV is a rip off. I mean 60-160 dollars for TV.  EVERY MONTH and most of the time I have Shows that have sat on my DVR so long.. Well I FINALLY got rid of all the shows I recorded in GA (That was over 2 years ago I recorded those)  I have 3 movies on my rear DVR and a whole bunch on the front along with several hour shows. I"ll still have shows left when I return to Davison where I record more than I can possibly watch. It's like that..  I pay 25 dollars a year for an electronic TV guide and that is optional.

My guess is they attracted a lot of new subscribers with bargain rates but were unable to grow many of them to more profitable service levels.  That's a pretty common problem in businesses that offer low rates to new customers.

The problem with DirecTV is their customer service has went down hill since the AT&T take over, and they use any excuse in the book to extend your contract, need a service call when the dish dies at the sticks and bricks house, find out later that your contract is extended by 2 years, due to receiving upgraded equipment, ...

Gary RV_Wizard said:
My guess is they attracted a lot of new subscribers with bargain rates but were unable to grow many of them to more profitable service levels.  That's a pretty common problem in businesses that offer low rates to new customers.
The company I used to work for bought a very small company that was all about initial orders. They would keep discounting and discounting until they got the sale. Someone else then had to make the sale profitable. That worked out so well for them that my company acquired them for a song because they had a technology we wanted. The rest of the company got closed down eventually. We tried and tried to make it profitable, but it just couldn?t.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom