AT&t wireless for home phone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGiacomo

My son went into AT&T to talk about his cell bill and asked them about wireless coverage for home based phones........

the charges in our area are unlimited nationwide, for 19.99......

I am now paying my cable company 87 bucks for internet and phone, i have been a customer to this company for 30 plus years and am paying more per month than their new customers, this is a little a&& backwards, [as far as I am concerned],  but it is how these companies choose to treat their old customers..........soooo i am trying to just drop the whole cable deal, I'm sure they won't much care, but it will make me feel better ;) :D

Has anyone tried the AT&T wireless for home use yet????

We use prepaid for cell phones and they serve us well, but my wife does a lot of church business and is on the phone extensively ;D, that's why it is imperative to have the unlimited at home ;) 

Just in case... probably need to find out if you can call for help if the power (electrical) goes down in an emergency.  In most places, the wireless comm system goes down without power but a POTS usually stays operational... not the new cordless phones but the "older" plug into the wall phones...

It won't make any difference as his current cable supplied phone service will be down also in a power outage.  There's a better chance that a cellular system will stay in service.

Sure wish AT&T offered cell service for $19.99, cheapest plan around here is about $45.00 for 450 minutes. :(

The dang cable has been down more than our cells phones have.....i don't think that down time would be a problem..[for me]....I'm used to picking up the cell phone to find out what the heck happened to the cable ???..............

I went to dishnet last year and have been very pleased with it, at home and in the MH......i was happy to hand the cable receiver back to them ;)

I'll check the coverage out a little more and maybe give it a try, I used to believe in being a good loyal costumer, but that doesn't pay off any more..........it  seems......

tvman44 said:
Sure wish AT&T offered cell service for $19.99, cheapest plan around here is about $45.00 for 450 minutes. :(

The plan is  " AT&T wireless home phone"...........NOT a cell phone account...I'm sure you can go their site and find out about it..........I'll do a little research before i sign also......

Verizon offers the same home phone connect service for the same price.  Just in case your interested.  Yes it is a pretty good deal.  If you can figure out how to get cheap internet connection now your set to go.

While not a cellular plan, the AT&T wireless home phone does use the AT&T cellular network.  It's also "Not compatible with services requiring data including but not limited to home security systems, wireless messaging and data services, fax service, DVR/Satellite systems, medical alert systems, medical monitoring systems, credit card machines, IP/PBX Phone systems, or dial-up Internet service." so don't plan on using it for anything but voice calls.

We have always had good verizon coverage in our area, I'll check that out also..... thanks a lot.......

At the end of the month, I probably won't be saving a lot of money, ..........I'm just not satisfied with my cable service, they are loosing a lot of customers in our area right now, and they just don't seem to give a hoot ???

Ned said:
While not a cellular plan, the AT&T wireless home phone does use the AT&T cellular network.  It's also "Not compatible with services requiring data including but not limited to home security systems, wireless messaging and data services, fax service, DVR/Satellite systems, medical alert systems, medical monitoring systems, credit card machines, IP/PBX Phone systems, or dial-up Internet service." so don't plan on using it for anything but voice calls.
thanks Ned, at this time I don't think we need any of these services, but i'll look a little closer to make sure.........to tell you the truth, i'm not sure my cable connection offers anything from your list........

I am not a fan of ATT, I had their cellular service last year and I had too many dropped calls and poor reception. At the same time I had a Verizon cell phone (the ATT was for a business I worked for) and my Verizon would almost always have a signal when my ATT did not. So I actually ended up forwarding the ATT calls to my Verizon number and never had an issue.

I no longer work for that company but personally I have a Verizon cell phone and a Verizon Hot Spot for my internet service and love it! No cable TV if it doesn't come over the air or a cable hookup in a campground then I don't watch it....I'm in my RV to get away from TV and phones!

Enjoy,

Jim

We have the Verizon home connect and have had it for almost 2 years. It has been trouble free and since we have a good verizon signal it is always clear. One drawback is you cannot use it to fax. The other nice thing is you disconnect the wires outside so you don't backfeed and then you can plug the home connect into any jack and feed the whole house. You can also take the unit with you on the road and get all your home calls. It plugs into a 110 outlet but does work off battery power when the power is down.

We just switched over internet and home phone to Verizon. There are some drawbacks that one only sees after signing on. I.E. We lost part of our caller ID in our location. We no longer see anything on the home phone CID except a phone number, this until Verizon upgrades equipment out of the center we come out of, it they decide to do it. What we were used to as unlimited internet now has limits . . . and consequences if we need more data.

In the end, I don't think we've changed our bottom line a bit. We do, however, now only have one phone and internet bill as opposed to the three we had before.

One caution, when there is an emergency the powers that be can take control of cell phones and prevent all other use.  Also even if they do not take control, the cells will usually become overloaded and essentially useless.  Text messaging MAY work but that too is problematic.  The land lines should work longer and more reliably.  If it is an earthquake, hurricane, etc., even they may not work.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom