At The Campsite With Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

We have two high energy 3-year old Brittany's. We left them home with a sitter on our maiden voyage in our Class C. Besides walking them on a leash to wear them out how do you or what have you seen that works at the campsite? Putting them on 2 leads ends up in a tangled mess. I've seen collapsible fencing available online to pen them in. I don't know if 36" high fence would be enough since one of the 2 was able to get over it as a pup. Most likely I'd need 48" high.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Dogs.jpg
    Dogs.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 5
I use a dog run cable between 2 trees. One dog gets hooked on the run, the other (old/small) gets tied off separately or put in the folding pen. Separate or apart they always end up snarled on something, not sure what you do about that. Something I've found that helps a bit with the tangling is to use a retractable leash hooked on the run. They seem content enough just to be outside and can see us, and of course they love the hikes and sniffing around.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Over the years, like Mark, I have found the wire dog run the best solution with the screw in anchor also being good depending on dog size and soil.

Through empirical testing I've learned that the only way to keep them from wrapping around anything is to ensure there's nothing for them to wrap around. If I have the linear space the run cable gets knots positioned at a point distant from the ends equal to the leash that's hooked to it, which keeps them from wrapping around the end supports. There can't be anything within the leash length parallel to the cable. I've encountered the described space maybe 3 times in 20+ years. For the most part at campgrounds I find 2 adequately spaced trees, string the cable up between them and they enjoy tangle free freedom for some period of minutes until they hopelessly wrap themselves around whatever and I end up undoing them. Such is their life, and mine.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

A line run about 6' off the ground between two conveniently located trees with a relatively short lead can give even a big dog a fair amount of space to move around. We use 2 of the the portable pens 34" high to make a big pen for our three dogs, 2 ankle biters and a german shepherd. The big dog could easily leap over the pen but seems happy to be in the pen with her 2 buddies. The pen takes about 20 minutes to set up and take down. The dogs are very content to be in the pen when anyone is around the campsite outside which is more often than not.

Buy them bones to chew. Those semi-dry ones at the pet center. A dog will use an incredible amount of energy chewing a bone. I've watched my dog (142 lb Golden Retriever) chew on a new bone until he fell asleep right there in front of it. He then woke up and continued to chew.

Buy the lead that is about 6 feet long with a ring in the middle. attache each end to one dog then attach a long lead to the middle. The dogs will need to move in unison but they usually do anyway and they won't get as tangled.

Although I have done it a time or two many parks heavily frown on tieing anything to trees. Anchors or fences seem to be the best solutions. Our last Lab mix loved to run, so I invested in a Walkie Dog for my bike. Hooked him up and we would go for a bike ride. I clocked him one time at 22 MPH pulling me! I got some negative comments from a few people claiming I was abusing him. I just laughed at them and explained HE loved to run amd that I let him dictate when how fast and how long we rode. Dogs, especially working dogs need exercise to be happy, so the OP needs to figure out how to work his dogs to keep them happy, then he wo t have to worry about them so much.

Hell I had to hang on for dear life. Boy could that dog run!

Buy them bones to chew. Those semi-dry ones at the pet center. A dog will use an incredible amount of energy chewing a bone. I've watched my dog (142 lb Golden Retriever) chew on a new bone until he fell asleep right there in front of it. He then woke up and continued to chew.

Buy the lead that is about 6 feet long with a ring in the middle. attache each end to one dog then attach a long lead to the middle. The dogs will need to move in unison but they usually do anyway and they won't get as tangled.
Wait, you have a 142 lb Golden? Pictures please.

Hmm, our English Springer Spaniel does fine walking him on a leash. If we hike, he goes with us. When we are in the camp area, we let him run from me to DH dragging his leash behind him. He loves that run. he would climb over or knock over a fence.

what kind of bone is that??? My 55lb ESS chews through most any bone pretty quickly

Wait, you have a 142 lb Golden? Pictures please.
Those things are expensive. Go to a large grocery store and ask the butcher for marrow bones. We buy them, boil them for about 20 minutes, bag and freeze them. Pull one out for my mutt and he is busy for hours.

I just call them dinosaur bones, they are about 2 1/2 feet long and look like the femur from some large animal, cow? It takes Hudson three or days to chew one of those down.

Pic of Hudson sitting beside my wife Michelle.

And another of him sitting across from me at the dinette in the trailer.

Finally, on his side having a nap, using the lower step as a pillow.

Attachments

• Hudson.jpg
    Hudson.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_00000022.jpg
    IMG_00000022.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_00000331.jpg
    IMG_00000331.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
We have two high energy 3-year old Brittany's. We left them home with a sitter on our maiden voyage in our Class C. Besides walking them on a leash to wear them out how do you or what have you seen that works at the campsite? Putting them on 2 leads ends up in a tangled mess. I've seen collapsible fencing available online to pen them in. I don't know if 36" high fence would be enough since one of the 2 was able to get over it as a pup. Most likely I'd need 48" high.

Thanks!

I remember when my wife and I got our first dog... she put her on a leash... I would have none of that.

Train them with love. The only problem is they like spoon. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom