Attempting to learn to play my mom's old Dulcimer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to know an elderly gent who late in life learned to play that insturment. It was also the first time I ever saw one by the way (But I instantly recognized it.. long story by Spider Robinson is responsible for that) Alas Ed is no more.. (Somewhat shorter story. he failed to recover from a robbery/beating which made it murder. I had another friend who did the same there) I still have one friend (Sue) who plays one but she's much younger.
John McCutcheon.. Buy a CD or 2 if you don't already own.
Oh. Ed.. He was also our church Guitarist.
One weekend after Mass I slipped a cassette single along with a piece of paper in his pocket.
next week it was the Meditiaion piece (Straw Against The Chill)

Here is a cover of that same tune
(Oh and thank you for making me look that up. that's nearly 5 minutes shot to HEAVEN).

Last edited:
Hammered dulcimer or mountain dulcimer? I have a mountain dulcimer Kevin made, but I never did sit down to learn how to play it. Nice and portable though.

Which one? Loved Spider's Callahan series...
Fractural Node. I goofed it's not a Robinson it's by Piers Anthony.
(Just remembed enough of the title I could look it up)

Liked the Callahan series as well. The best one however was the first one The Time Traveler.. You see.. It was 100% scientifically POSSIBLE for that book to have actually happened.. From then he got into what was clearly fiction.
I've read a LOT of books.. Used to take boxes of paperbacks to the library and donate just so I could make room for more.. usually when they counted and sent the enclosed SASPC (Self addressed, Stamped Post Card) the number was in the 90s)....

Hammered dulcimer or mountain dulcimer? I have a mountain dulcimer Kevin made, but I never did sit down to learn how to play it. Nice and portable though.
It's a mountain dulcimer, mom was fair to good on it. I hope to become passable enough to play in front of others, (if I'm granted enough time here)
I've given up playing my Fender Dreadnaught guitar, it's too big/thick body for me to handle. I also have artheritis in my wrists so bad they will not move right. With sadness I'll be selling it soon.

I also had to walk away from my two banjo's and guitar due to hearing problems and arthritis in the hands,, not to mention that a "good" quality banjo will weigh at least 13 to 15 pounds. Hang that around your neck for a three hour gig..>>>Dan

You should see Leroy Troy's "washing machine" for something heavy:

Attachments

• LeRoy Troy Wash Mach.png
    LeRoy Troy Wash Mach.png
    677 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You are already a traveler, so I might suggest that you look up the Dulcimer Festival in Evart Michigan. It is in the third week of July. You kind of have to come by coach as all the local accommodations for this year are probably already booked, but you want to be on the fair grounds already anyway.
It is all about strings, yes it is a hammer thing, but there will be lots of other as well and always many classes for everything. I often went for the autoharp groups. I've only been playing them for 50 years, but still have some learning to do.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom