Attwood g6a-8e problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitsydad

I have a 2016 Jayco Jayflight that has an Attwood g6a-8e gas/DSI water heater. The water heater lights and heats the water , but when it shuts down it will not relight when needed. The igniter sparks and it lights, but goes out as soon as the sparking stops. The light by the switch goes out when it lights, then comes back on when it goes out, but even shutting the switch off and back on doesn't change it. Still flame as long as sparking but goes out as soon as sparking stops. Will do this 3 times every time the switch is off/on. Will not light for several hours and the red light stays on until it finally relights, but it will only heat once and that's it.

I have reseated the thermostats, checked and cleaned all the electrical connections, when lit the burner burns blue and very smooth, can't find any problem with the flue, the gas valve seems to function properly, and the ignitor is clean and gapped correctly.

Any ideas on the problem would be appreciated.

What is a card?  If it's the circuit board, I wouldn't do that just yet. How do you know it's not a propane problem? In the meantime, take your circuit board out and have it tested.

One well known problem is the igniter/flame detector. It may seem to be working but is not furnishing a sufficient "flame lit" signal to the board. This could be the result of a poor/dirty connection on the board, a not so good detector, or a bad board. A new detector is quite cheap to replace.

A key point of diagnosis here is whether the flame quits instantly when sparking stops, or if it takes several seconds.  If it is instantly, then its a propane combustion issue; if it burns for several seconds and then shuts off, it is the flame sensor circuit (the board is intentionally shutting it down because no flame is sensed, even though it is in fact burning).  Please tell us which it happening - that difference is crucial.

In neither case is a new circuit board called for. If the igniter sparks and a flame starts, the circuit board is doing its job.

It goes out instantly when the spark stops, but only after it heats a tan k of water. It shuts down and the red light comes on. If you shut it off and wait a few of hours and flip it on, it lights and runs till water is hot. If you don't shut it off, it tries 3 times to light and quits. You can turn it off/on and it will try 3 more times, but it will not light until it cools down.

However, as I said when it does light the flame is blue and smooth. It has no yellow and is relatively quiet when burning and heats the water in about 18 minutes.

I should also add this trailer has set for almost 2 years since last use. Guess I should have put this in the original post, Sorry!

I would start by cleaning contacts (unplug and re-plug a few times) and check the burner. you may be able to do some cleaning there.

Mine worked the other way around when new.  COLD it took 3 or four cycles of the power switch (Each accompintd by 3 times attempting to start) but hot it worked normally.

Eventually it quit working and the issue traced to the control board.. But I'm nto sure that was the same issue.

Replaced thermostats and igniter and no help. Replaced the circuit board and it works perfectly.

No idea why the board went bad just setting, but it did. This trailer was stayed in 2 nights, winterized and not used again for 1.5 years until we bought it and the water heater didn't work. Poor design would be my guess.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, we been camping for several years now so I will monitor this forum and hopefully I will be able to help someone else fix a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom