Atwood 6 gal water heater inlet check valve(?) water leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bokoto

Atwood 6 gal water heater #GCGAR-10E.
Is that a check valve at the inlet (bottom) between the elbow/plastic nut and the tank wall? I broke off the black plastic fitting that is screwed into what looks like a metal coupling. Is it a metal coupling and or a check valve?
Is the metal fitting(?) threaded and screwed on to male threads on the tank?
Can I unscrew the fitting or is it welded onto the tank?
Is the plastic piece the check valve?
Will I have to ease out the broken black plastic fitting(?) or can I replace the coupling(?) and the plastic fitting?
Help will be greatly appreciate.
Thanks 1668540769519.png

1668540769519.png
EE82954A-13EF-4EA6-9FBB-8AA6A109E2E8.jpeg
FC6FB3D0-85EC-42AF-84AE-111CE3EF54A3.jpeg

A check valve isn't required at the inlet but many systems have one there to avoid the possibility of backflow. And since you have a 3-valve bypass system, no check valve is required at the outlet either.

The tank inlet and outlet are designed to accept 1/2" NPT threaded fittings. I think what I'm seeing in the photos is a threaded PVC fitting, not a part of the tank itself. The tank threads are metal, not plastic.

It looks to be a broken thread which is still in the compression nut but has broken off of the tank fitting. My 2001 6 gallon atwood was installed with a check valve. I think its on the cold water make up side. I do not see anything in the fotos that looks like a back check.

My guess is yes, the fitting should unscrew from the tank inlet. Remove enough insolation around that tank fitting to have a good look. It looks to be an aluminum fitting which indicates it is probably a stock factory installed fitting. Hopefully it is threaded tank side. If not, probably time to get a new tank or maybe thread the inside to accept a smaller thread and adapt from that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
I was trying to fix a leak from the threads between the plastic threaded male tubing adapter and the female metal coupling when I snapped off the plastic fitting. I may have to remove the tank to make the repair. There is no room to use tools under the sofa.
Thanks guys

It could also be a nipple but whatever it is, as Gary said it is threaded into the fitting of the water heater tank. To me it looks like metal but it is hard to tell from the picture.

Talk to a local plumber. They have tools to remove broken pipe in fittings. Made like a screw extractor only larger and doesn't distort the fitting.
1672368234463.png

I removed the tank and replaced the nipple that was leaking and that I broke trying to remove it initially. Apparently the fitting on the cold water inlet is a heavy duty schedule 80? coupling that must be welded to the tank. I heated and used what is sometimes called an internal pipe wrench (ease out) to remove the broken and leaking plastic nipple. I replaced it with a brass nipple with a hex nut for a better grip.
Problem solved, thanks for the feedback.
On to the inevitable next repair.

Back
Top Bottom