atwood hot water heater not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoggerdinger

Hello,
I have a 2005 Keystone Laredo 5th wheel.  I have used it with no problems for an entire winter.  This winter we used it for about a month when suddenly we have no hot water.  The water will not flow at all when the hot water faucet is on.  Cold water runs fine when the cold faucet is open.  The water in the water heater is hot, but no hot water at all runs.  Again, when cold water is turned on, cold water comes out.  On the hot water side, no water runs at all.  I have drained the water heater, opened the hot side faucets and re-filled the system and the same thing happens.  I have also tried to open the pop off valve.  I don't know what else to do.  It is not the bypass valve by the way, I tried that also.
Please help.
thanks
Hoggerdinger

Dit it stop working all at once, or gradually? Does the pump run? Are all h/w faucets affected? Does it work when connected to city water? Without knowing more, my first guess would be either a blockage or kink in the h/w line, or a filter screen full of debris in the faucet.

Carl,
Thanks for the reply.
The hot water faucet will not work in the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, or the bathtub.  (all outlets).  It will not pump water on city water or the holding tank pump.  It is not a clog at the sink itself because it pours great when the cold side is turned on.  I find it hard to believe that it would be trash in it being this new.  It might be though.  When I turn the bypass valve, cold water shoots through what is supposed to be hot water.  The second I turn the bypass back to normal operation, the water shuts off and only the cold water side works. 

Many RV's have a special shutoff valve for the ho****er system. Is it possible this valve has been closed and then not opened back up this year ??
It should be located near the water pump.

Woody

thanks guys!
i called a plumber.  he tole most likely it is a clog in the line somewhere.  he will be here at 1pm today. 
i appreciate you taking the time to help.

Sure sounds like a blockage in the hot water pipe of the tank itself. Try removing the drain plug and reverse flushing the tank by forcing (not too much pressure) water thru one of the faucets with the hot water tap turned on. Might require a little ingenuity to do that, but a garden hose without the end connector and some duct tape might do the job. Use enough pressure to get things flowing, but not so much that you send the junk, if present, into the rest of the plumbing. Wondering if this isn't a warranty job given the year of your 5'er???

There are usually a pair of valves to shut off or bypass the hot water tank, used when winterizing the trailer. It sounds as though one of the valves got turned off, so no hot water can flow out of the tank.

Good point Gary!

This winter we used it for about a month when suddenly we have no hot water.

This year while camping at Lake Pleasant, I had the pleasure of having two mom's and their seven young children parked very near me. They were the most well-behaved kids I have ever met, loved to play with Hercule, and were extremely polite - home schooled. One of two twin brothers (dont ask me which one; they're identical) was inquisitive about everything, so much so that he naturally had to turn off my water supply valve on the post AND flip all the circuit breakers in the box! Imagine my surprise when nothing worked! (had the inverter turned off)

hoggerdinger said:
  I find it hard to believe that it would be trash in it being this new.  It might be though.  When I turn the bypass valve, cold water shoots through what is supposed to be hot water.  The second I turn the bypass back to normal operation, the water shuts off and only the cold water side works. 

It is very common to find trash in a new rig. Lots of plastic pieces are left in the lines and clog them quickly depending upon how much was left. It sounds like the blockage is in your bypass valve. It could also be a defective valve.

Guys,
It was a check valve inside the fitting on the hot water tank.  The water in the park has been cut off a few times while we were here and I guess the pressure shut the valve inside the fitting so water would not flow.  He removed the check vavle from the line and it fixed the problem.  No trash.

hoggerdinger said:
Guys,
It was a check valve inside the fitting on the hot water tank.  The water in the park has been cut off a few times while we were here and I guess the pressure shut the valve inside the fitting so water would not flow.  He removed the check vavle from the line and it fixed the problem.  No trash.

Glad he found the problem.

Back
Top Bottom