Atwood Hydro Flame Furnace Set Screw Stripped Ouch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jomomma133

I'm trying to replace the heater motor. Removed left side no problems.
On the Combustion side I Can not get the Squirrel wheel/cage off the lock collar. The set screw is stripped.
Any ideas on how to remove it without tearing out all the sheet metal around it?
If I drill out the screw I'm sure I'd have to purchase another collar, or can the collar (brass) be re-threaded or tapped?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Thank You..

Most locking collars are already threaded for the largest screw that size collar can accomodate.  If it is an Allen screw maybe the closest metric Allen might give enough grip to remove?  I?ve had some luck really putting a lot of pressure on the ball-end type Allen?s this way. 
If you drill it out a left handed drill (running in reverse on your drill) might spin it out without damage (HF has an inexpensive set of LH drill bits).  Make sure you lube the threads for several days first.
Lock collars aren?t expensive if you have to replace.

Be aware, if trying to drill a set screw, most (not all) are made of very hard steel. You may need a cobalt bit to get through it.

If it's a female hex setscrew, you can try to use a Torx bit one size over the hex key size.  I've had luck tapping them in and getting enough purchase to unscrew.

FunSteak said:
If it's a female hex setscrew, you can try to use a Torx bit one size over the hex key size.  I've had luck tapping them in and getting enough purchase to unscrew.

I've had good luck doing this....

FunSteak said:

Yep, that has worked for me as well. I've also had good luck using a small E-Z Out that tightly fit in the hex cavity of the set screw.

Back
Top Bottom