Atwood Range ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvman44

We have a Atwood MPD57279 & 1 top burner will not light with the ignitor, it seems to spark as good as the other 2 top burners but will not light.  I can light that burner with a match and get as high & good a flame as the other 2 that light with the igniter.  I have tried cleaning the electrode anyway but no joy.  Anyone have have a similar problem, or have any good suggestions?

I don't have that issue but it has to be the alignment of the electrode to the holes where the gas comes out. Compare it to the other two electrodes. It may be just a matter of using a pair of needle nose pliers and just bend the tip of the electrode so that it's closer to the gas holes. Let us know how you make out.

I have considered that, but it looks the same as the others and i am reluctant to try bending it as there is so little room to grip it and I am afraid to break the insulator then I would be up the creek.

Hopefully others have ideas. Good luck.

Update: I just looked at mine and the electrode is part of the burner so there would be no way to make any adjustment like I suggested. I would have no idea on what to do if I had that issue. Older RV's I've had did have the electrode separate from the burner.

If yours is like mine, I wonder if maybe the gas holes next to the tip of the electrode may be plugged preventing the gas from escaping. Just a thought!!! :eek:

I had one like that in a previous coach. I'm pretty sure it was the path of the spark vs the gas, but the difference wasn't real obvious. Carefully note where the spark jumps vs the other burners - mine seemed to be a hair different.

I fiddled with it a couple of times and suddenly it began to work reliably again. Not sure what I did to fix it either - I just removed/cleaned the electrode and surrounding area 3-4 times.

I believe this is your owners manual:  http://www.northstarcampers.com/Manuals/Atwood-Slide-In-Range---Oven-Manual.pdf

Looking at it, I would remove the burner. It looks likes it's only held in with a couple of machine screws with nuts. Then I would try cleaning it. It may be just a matter of a small piece of metal still in the hole from when they punched the holes. For you Floridians, the name would be a "CHAD".  ;D

I am having same problem. .. may I ask  how you would clean these... nothing  about trouble d hooting in manual.... lights with match on cue...

Hard to say without more specific info (maybe a photo?) of your particular burner, but you can probably wipe the tip of the electrode with alcohol or mineral spirits in case there is something stuck to it. Or brush lightly with fine piece of sandpaper, something like 320 or 400 grit silicone carbide paper. Do the same for the nearby metal that the spark jumps to.  The direction of the spark jump is critical too - it has to pass through the path of the gas. Sometimes the spark jumps a tiny bit sideways and misses. Cleaning the "target area" may fix that.

Here is a picture of ignitor

Attachments

• 20160228_153536_resized.jpg
    20160228_153536_resized.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom