Atwood Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Don't you just love older RV's?
We have an Atwood water heater with electronic ignition. If I shut it off at night to save propane I have a hell of a time getting it to light up and stay on. I turn on the inside switch and I can here the igniter fire and I can hear the propane ignite. Then it stops and the "pilot out" light comes on. Then I shut it off and the cycle repeats 5 to 10 times. I have been leaving the heater on at night and this morning it happened again but corrected itself.

Overnight temperatures have been in the high 30's and low 40's here. It seems to be affected by the cold but sometimes I have to position a chair in front of the door to block the wind. Seems like the wind will blow it out if it comes from a certain direction. I can't get a technician here until January 16. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

Try unplugging the wiring connector at the ignitor module and plugging it back in a few times to clean the contacts. It takes very little corrosion to interrupt the millivolt signal from the flame sensor. Also make sure the ignition points are spaced correctly.

NY_Dutch said:
Always go with the cheap/easy stuff first...  ;)

Agree^^. A new circuit board isn't always the correct answer. A lot of troubles attributed to a bad board could have been repaired by cleaning the terminals as suggested above.

I just went out and pulled some connectors off, (shut power off first!) and put them back on a couple of times.
Turned power back on. The water is hot right now. We will see what happens when it heats again.
I will take a couple of pics and post.

Here are pictures:
A view of the heater & me pointing to connections that I pulled off and on a few times.
Any other connections I should look at?

Attachments

• DSC05298.JPG
    DSC05298.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC05299.JPG
    DSC05299.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05300.JPG
    DSC05300.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 18
The pressure relief valve shoots water directly on things that should not get wet.
The easiest fix was that 45 degree angle PVC joint. It is a snug fit and can be rotated to direct the water.
Glad you like it!

Had the same issue with mine when it was new. Several suspects  IN my case Eventually it stopped trying (Control board toast) and a new control board fixed it... Do not know if the oem was bad or if it was coincidence. but .. it always worked fine once it was pre-warmed.

Back
Top Bottom