Australia Standard Drivers Licence and Class A or Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casperam

Hi Guys
I now am in a state of confusion after viewing several reference sites, forum posts and articles.
I realize that the rules may change from state to state but I have a standard Australian drivers licence that allows me to drive a vehicle up to 4.5 tonnes which is 9900lbs and upto 12 seats.
I seem pretty confident that my licence will sufficient to be able to drive a class C but a Class A is another question.
Would I possible be able to drive a class A vehicle depending on its weight ie less than 9900lbs?

Thanks

Normally, I'd say that a regular/standard drivers licence from your home state or country would be all you need. But, if your licence specifically states a weight limit, I suspect you would be restricted to that. The challenge then becomes finding a motorhome weighing less than 9,900 lbs. A 'lightweight' class A would be closer to double that weight, and you'd likely be hard pressed to find a class C under 9,900 lbs. You might need to look at a class B (van).

FWIW the 'car' (large SUV) we tow behind our motorhome weighs approx 8,000 lbs.

I am using my standard Australian licence in conjunction with international licence to drive my A class Thor Ace with out problem. I have been stopped by police once only in Oregon and all was OK.

Back
Top Bottom