Auto+camper trailer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeeperDon

Does any MFG make a trailer with a small camper in front and a auto hauling flat section in the back?  Actually, I'm looking for any combo system to haul a car (off-road Jeep in my case) and have room to spend a night or two?

JeeperDon said:
Does any MFG make a trailer with a small camper in front and a auto hauling flat section in the back?  Actually, I'm looking for any combo system to haul a car (off-road Jeep in my case) and have room to spend a night or two?

I'm not sure anyone makes a trailer that will haul a Jeep within it's interior but I think one of the motor home manufacturers makes a unit that can haul a car inside the rear. Can't say it will take a full sized Jeep. It might be Monaco.

Thanks Jim, but I was not necessarily looking for the Jeep to be inside.  One approach to get what I want in function is get a pickup truck and slide in, then tow a normal flatbed trailer with the Jeep.  Since I don't have a pickup at the moment, I thought a longer flatbed trailer might work with a small camper body on the front of it.  I guess I just wondered if there was anything out there.

Hi Don,

Can't say I've ever seen anything like that but it might exist. I guess you could construct something along that line but not sure what the costs might be. I hope someone here might have more info for you. Happy to see you here on the forum!!!

Sure seems as tho it would have a lot of trouble hauling a trailer of such.? ?Vehicle weight in the rear and unless it's got appliances in front, it wouldn't appear to have much tongue weight on the unit.? Makes for terrible trailering. Even on our 24' trailer our car has to be reasonably balanced to even tow behind our MH with more weight forward than aft pf center, placing tongue weight were it should be.? Just a thought and my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong but after doing this for many years, I'll stick with what works for me.

S
JeeperDon said:
Does any MFG make a trailer with a small camper in front and a auto hauling flat section in the back? Actually, I'm looking for any combo system to haul a car (off-road Jeep in my case) and have room to spend a night or two?

That describes a toy hauler, but I don't know of anyone who makes a toy hauler for a toy as big as a Jeep.  Probably what you are looking for is a small Class C motorhome with enough tow rating to haul the Jeep.  As far as a Jeep trailer is concerned, most folks around here regard such trailers as a curse and an abomination.  However, the Jeep should tow four down on the ground just fine, so why fuss with a trailer?

Carl,  I have a couple friends with ClassA's that tow the Jeep without trailer and they agree with you, a trailer behind a motorhome is way more agrivating than a flat tow behind one.  I prefer a trailer (have a simple 16' one now) for the piece of mind knowing anything that happens in the woods won't be a problem getting home.  In May my Jeep's transfer case exploded in the woods leaving me in no-wheel-drive.  Then 2 weeks ago, the clutch went in PA such that I couldn't even run the motor for power steering.  I was looking for a solution that did not involve buying another motorized vehicle.  My '01 Dodge Durango R/T can tow 7,300 lbs and the present trailer and Jeep are less than 5,500.  I was hoping to maybe (a wish) get lucky and find a perfect setup for another 1,500 lbs.  I guess not. 

Back
Top Bottom