Auto Parking brake 2nd nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmoredad

2004 winnebago siteseer 30b chevrolet workhorse
Hello,
My parking brake is stuck on .it happened last year .I pulled the bolt where the two cables meet . But had a alarm noise while driving. been using lvl system for brake since first trip last year . Could not figure out how to stop alarm . Anyone know how ? I had found a blown fuse .so I put Bolt back in no luck still stuck in park . Ugh not sure if something happened to old bear no answer and site had dead links .

Due to age / health reason Old Used Bear is no longer able to answer questions, I think his daughter made a post about this over on IRV2 last year, maybe year before last, saying that he was no longer able to read and reply to emails, I think he is well over 90 now. For the last year or two and his web site has been sporattically down off and on sometimes down for week at a time About | rvAutoPark.com | Chevy P32 Workhorse Chassis, J71 Version I, II, & III Auto Park Brake System troubleshooting, repair & Motor Home support web site When it is up there is still lots of good information there.

p.s. note if you pull the linkage pin to disable the auto parking brake, it is also VERY important to pull the fuse or disconnect the power to the APB pump as it will potentially burn itself out in just 15-20 minutes if it failed due to a fluid leak / stuck relay, or pressure switch, and then you will have an even bigger repair expense.

Got rid of last motorhome because of auto park. Finding a shop or mechanic to work on it might not be easy. "The oldused bear" helped me to make the repair myself. New " rotten green switch" and brake pads, springs, fluids cost about $200. A shop back then was $2500 to $5000. Just didn't trust the auto park afterwards so we sold it. Wish you the best on whatever you decide; but the auto park is terrible!! Watch the movie RV to illustrate what can happen.

2004 winnebago siteseer 30b chevrolet workhorse
Hello,
My parking brake is stuck on .it happened last year .I pulled the bolt where the two cables meet . But had a alarm noise while driving. been using lvl system for brake since first trip last year . Could not figure out how to stop alarm . Anyone know how ? I had found a blown fuse .so I put Bolt back in no luck still stuck in park . Ugh not sure if something happened to old bear no answer and site had dead links .
Well thanks for your replies .I replaced two relays and the Orb (old rotten brown switch ) . Have take off looking towards the replacement for the whole unit .can't remember but someone has everything documented online .
Enjoy til the next time I stop and go to put it in drive .

Well thanks for your replies .I replaced two relays and the Orb (old rotten brown switch ) . Have take off looking towards the replacement for the whole unit .can't remember but someone has everything documented online .
Enjoy til the next time I stop and go to put it in drive .
Guess they changed the color but nonetheless you got a problem. That system is so complex it can be most anything. Read through the oldusedbear library to solve your problem and better understand what you have. Loved my old motorhome but that one system was just too risky to trust for travel and wallet. Any motorhome with auto park is one to avoid regardless of the manufacture. That said, they all will have some sort of issue.

I disagree, what is important is to understand how the automatic parking brake works as most mechanics you might deal with will have no clue how it works, and much of it is counter intuitive, and secondly routinely inspect and maintain this system such as when changing oil.

Brazles/ Ultra RV Products look the company who looked at the real problem ans solved it with proven up grades. why would anybody take a chance with that garbage. My brother came from CT with his winnabago his system locked him up in my drive way the cylinder for parking became red hot to hot to handle I unplug the line next day it was cold and it started to work it worked till he got home He it to his dealer they were going to charge him 1900 dollar to fix that junk . He call this company they sent for less then 1/2 of dealer and he was able to install parts heself. He did call them a couple of tome for help but they walked him through it. He told me he never had a fear of a brake problem any more. Four 5 year never teal he pass away as a happy camper.

GM made 2 otherwise seemingly identical pressure switches with different part numbers one is brown one is green. It seems most J71 automatic parking brakes came with the green switch, though some may also have came with the brown switch. Most of the experts claim these two switches are completely interchangable. There is a gray stop switch which functions at different pressure levels and opposite function.

My RV 2000 Fleetwood Flair is in the shop currently for this same reason. It is going to cost me $3800. Needs new actuator, pads, springs drum. Switch and motor are fine is what they tell me.

There was a Workhorse recall having to do with this. Not sure if anything can still be done regarding coverage. My Dad had a 2003 Bounder on that chassis and he had the issue during the recall.

Memtiger, how did that happen? About the only way the drum can get destroyed on these is to continue to drive with the auto park engaged, or if the shoes are not properly adjusted.

Memtiger, how did that happen? About the only way the drum can get destroyed on these is to continue to drive with the auto park engaged, or if the shoes are not properly adjusted.
That is exactly what happened. Went on a short road trip when the auto park light came on while were standing still in traffic threw it in park then back into drive light went off as soon as I hit the gate to that park I noticed a smell so I pulled into lot put it in park and emergency brake and it started rolling backwards. Got under the RV and noticed fluid dripping from the actuator. Guess it was slowly pushing the pads against the drum till they turned to nothing. I had no idea this was a common problem till I got home and researched it.

I did not go in and inspect the drum myself since I was out of town I took them at their word. They could have lied, sure but I did really want to delay the repair process. I didn't take it to a dealer or place like camping world I took it to a local diesel repair place that was referred to my through several people.

Back
Top Bottom