Auto tire balance compounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

What do the veterans here on the Board think of the use of this method of tire balance?

I just recently had new tires installed.  The new tires were balanced using the standard lead weights and though satisfactory, I still have a slight vibration between 40/45 mph. 

I'm going to add some "Dyna Beads" to the front tires.  My question is:  Since the balance is very close with the weights installed, should I leave them on, or remove them as the Dyna Bead folks suggest?

Won't the beads just improve the current balance?  (assuming they work at all)

Thanks, Gary

I'll try them awhile with the weights still on and maybe take them off later.

I gather you are installing the Dynabeads yourself. Are you using the applicator that injects though the valve stem? I'm interested to to hear how well that works and will probably try Dynabeads myself if that method works OK. Otherwise, I'll wait until either tire replacement time, when I need to remove a tire from the wheel anyway.  I know Innovative says the valve stem injection method is their preferred way to install but I guess I'm skeptical enough to want to hear a success story first.

In the Dynabead FAQs that they say a "maintenance level application" is possible, in which beads are added to an existing tire set up. I think that is what you plan to do. It only mentions low-pro and SUV applicatins, though. See http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

For those who may be interested in Dynabead for do-it-yourself dynamic balancing, see:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
They have detailed, full-color photos of the installation process as well as lots of product info..

Gary,

I put a 4oz bag in each of the front tires using the applicator method.  it was no problem but took a few (10 to 12) minutes per tire because you have to continually tap the side of the stem to keep the beads flowing.  The applicator is simply a little plastic bottle with a nozzle feeding a short piece of plastic tubing placed over the open stem.  I did have to use a 1/8 inch drill bit to open up one of my stems as it was different from all the rest and didn't have a large enough hole, down beyond the valve insert, to allow good bead flow.  This procedure is explained in the dynabead brochure.  Not a big problem.  I haven't moved the coach yet, so I cant say it was a total success.  I'll report after the weekend.

I read somewhere on their site, that for my size tire, 4oz was the norm for 235/85/16's.  Larger tires will require more.

P.S.  Just be prepared with a new valve stem valve, as when you remove yours (with 80 to 140 lbs pressure) it will land somewhere in your neighbors yard.

BTW.  one of the (so called) filtered valve stems that I got in the kit was defective and I wound up using a standard valve.  It should not cause a problem as far as I can see.  If I was constantly inflating/deflating as in off-road activity then I may worry.

It should not cause a problem as far as I can see.

When I put a new set of Toyo's on my m/h last year, the installer neglected to put the screened stems on and I had two of them plug up on the first trip.  Had to change all of them out while setting at Moab.

Jim, Good response, but were you using the dyna beads or "Equal"?

I've exchanged some messages with Robert at Innovative Balancing and he suggests touching a vibrator sander against the tube to keep the beads flowing. Says it works great.

Their published table shows 6 oz front and 8 oz duals for my 235/80R22.5's but Robert suggested increasing that by two oz. He says the published numbers are a little light for  that size and it might not be quite enough if the tires are really off balance. He also strongly recommends removing any existing weights, but agrees it can be done without that.

Gary, thanks for the additional info.

Jim,  How will I know if a stem valve gets clogged.  Will my pressure Pros not work?  Will my stems leak? 

Can't get air out - maybe none in either, if badly clogged. If the air can't reach the PP sensor, essentially it won't work, since it won't know if the tire pressure drops. Sometimes the clog gets pushed back a bit when the valve is pished in to open it, then the bead gets caught in the bottom of the valve and it won't full close again, allowing air to leak out.

You can check for a clogged sensor by trying to bleed some air out. If air comes out, release the valve so it closes. Then put some soapy water (or the old stabd by, some spit) over the valve opening to see if it blows a bubble.

The real problem is you don't know when it might happen. Could be right away or could be years from now.

OnaQuest said:
What do the veterans here on the Board think of the use of this method of tire balance?

I just recently had new tires installed.? The new tires were balanced using the standard lead weights and though satisfactory, I still have a slight vibration between 40/45 mph.?

I'm going to add some "Dyna Beads" to the front tires.? My question is:? Since the balance is very close with the weights installed, should I leave them on, or remove them as the Dyna Bead folks suggest?

Won't the beads just improve the current balance?? (assuming they work at all)

I used the Counteract Beads, and used 8 ounces per tire, I put the bag in the tire and re-inflated.? Drove down the road for about a mile, and the wheels were really vibrating, then all of a sudden, it all smoothed out as the bag must have broken open and the beads dispersed.? Not one little vibration, very very smooth, and I am really pleased with this product.? Counteract uses really small stainless steel beads.? I think DynaBeads are ceramic.? So, I can recommend the Counteract product.? ?;D

How will I know if a stem valve gets clogged

OnaQuest

When I would put the tire gauge on the stem to check pressure, the valve core would stick in and the tire would completely deflate.  Happened twice before I changed all the cores.

Have never heard any suggestion that these products can cause any harm in any way (except maybe by eating them!).  Equal has been in use in commercial truck fleets for many years. 

And if the tire company did raise a fuss, the manufacturer of the tire balancing compound would have to stand by you and fight it, since their business would fail if their product was alleged to have caused some failure.  Note also that the Magnusen Act protects the use of aftermarket products - the tire comapny cannot void your warranty merely because you used an aftermarket product. There would have to be actual evidence the product caused a failure of some sort.

Now, using golf balls might be another story. You would be on your own if the tire company said they casused some internal damage.

Well I did it!  Put in some Equal today, 3oz bag per tire on my Ram 2500 4X4.  It runs the smoothest it ever has...I am pleased.  I had the tires mounted at Sears and they messed up the balancing.  Not realizing this I thought perhaps a rim was bent and they suggested I needed new rims so I bought new rims.  My $400 investment looked cool but the same guy balanced the tires to these rims and the problem continued.  I went to my local tire shop and they came in a few minutes after they started working asking who had balanced my tires.  I told them and they showed me the balancing machine...looks like Sears put the weights on the side that needed to be counterbalanced.  I gave them my trusty Equal, which they were not sure about, but put it in as per the directions.  Things are much smoother now.  I need to visit with Sears tomorrow about this expensive mess they led me down. 

Did you also put in the Equal valve cores?  If not, you run the risk of sucking some of the powder into a valve core when servicing the tires and causing a leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom