automatic propane regulator tank-switching valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MAC702

Do these things have a bad reputation?  I have a 96 Fleetwood travel trailer and bought it this year from a friend.  He said he had to replace this valve in the past, and now I find that it leaks.  It leaks from the top of the valve/regulator itself, not from a hose fitting.

I plan on just replacing it with the manual two-tank regulator from my 1976 travel trailer.  Any issues with this?

I live in this travel trailer, so this is a daily issue.

The auto valves seem to die periodically, though they generally last anywhere from a few to several years. A leak from the regulator itself indicates a ruptured diaphragm inside, something that can happen to any regulator.

Replacement with a manual changeover is fine.

What is the typical mode of failure on these tank switching valves?  I can hardly believe we are still running off of one tank after all this time. 

A different question: Has anyone found any accurate way to determine the fuel volume remaing in their propane tanks?

What is the typical mode of failure? 

Stuck of course, (Does not auto-switch to the other tank)

In fact there are only 4 possible failure modes

1: Stuck (Switches manual only)
2: Stuck (Won't even switch on manual, tank 1)
3: Same as 2 save tank 2
4: Both tanks open

1 is very common, never heard of a 2,3 or 4

Farm I grew up on we had 2 people houses plus a milk house, Both people houses had propane hot water and range, Milk house had propane heat (Electric Hot Water)  All 3 locations had auto-valves with multiple gas bottles,  And 2 of them failed in mode 1, Would switch manually only.

RV Roamer said:
...Replacement with a manual changeover is fine.
Does the old manuals leave both open at the same time?  Does it have check valves so that one tank can be off to be filled while the other tank stays open and services the RV?

Back
Top Bottom