Automatic TV cut-off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billk42

HELP
I have a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 35 foot MH. We are new to RVing, but we found an issue we are hoping someone has experienced and can help us with.
I want the kids to be able to watch TV while we roll down the highway, but.....whenever the ignition goes on, the TV goes off. I realize this is some sort of safety feature, but I need the tv to work so I can let the kids watch the tv AND be in seatbelts.

Any ideas?  Anyone with the Holiday Imperial with a fix? or work around?

Thanks

Not sure about a HR but on most coachs just move the cord from where it is plugged in to any other available outlet.

Jerry

There is an interlock on the outlet for the TV that prevents it from powering up while the ignition is on if the TV is visible to the driver.  There may be some legal considerations if you remove that interlock.  Check the laws for your state.

I am going to very strongly suggest you not tamper with the safety interlock.

On many motor homes the Front mounted TV sits where the driver can see it, In many states if you have an operating tv in that position you are going to become familure with phrases like "Yes Your Honor" and "No your Honor" and, well, Your honor is going to decimate your budget when he's done talking.

Thus I suggest you not mess with it

instead do what I did, I noticed my TV switch had an unused outlet so I routed cable and put an outlet next to the gally (in my case) this is across the "hall" from where the kids would sit if I had kids and it's next to the swivel chair when moving (Not for passenger seating when moving) I simply strap a small portable TV into that seat and then wife or whomever can watch TV while I drive  It is behind me so it's really hard for me to see, and it's legal

;)
Cool Great answers. I didn't realize there were legal issues involved.  But what you all said makes sense. I have a small fold out table next to the swivel chair and adjacent to the couch, i could place a tv on that with a strap to secure it and the kids could watch from there.

Thank you very much.  New to this and eager to learn

It's a violation of federal highway safety standards to have a tv screen in view of the driver. It is OK to place a tv behind his field of view, as you described.

RV Roamer said:
It's a violation of federal highway safety standards to have a tv screen in view of the driver. It is OK to place a tv behind his field of view, as you described.

Thanks Gary,,, I knew Michigan has laws against it (Copy of vehicle code on hard drive) I did not know it was Federal.

So I learned something today.  Thanks

(Always a good day when you learn something cause when you stop learning it's time to push up the grass)

Dang, I knew there was a Colorado law against having a TV on that was in the driver's view but didn't know it was a Federal law !! Guess I won't be able to watch the Broncos when Mike's driving, drat.

RV Roamer said:

Book and verse please. If that is true than there are an awful lot of MHs out there in violation of federal law. Our MH's TV is operational while it is in motion (and it is not modified). It is used for the backup camera or anything else you want to look at.

Wendy, as I said, just get a cheap portable and plug it in BEHIND THE DRIVER use any spare outlet on the video selector

When I came out west last winter I hooked a hunk of RG-59 to the spare jack on the back of the video switch and ran it "Overland" as it were... A few weeks ago I properly ran it down the channel, behind the trim and routed it to where I really want it to go

Got two more hunks to run (This time RG-6) and perhaps a few other cables for other stuff

Better yet, I think I'll just make sure the coach is stopped and parked anytime there's a Bronco game on...that way Mike can watch it too.

Back
Top Bottom