Auxiliary fuel tank in front of the slide in camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelaland

x.gif

Hey folks, was wondering how many of you have done this or seen it done and think its safe. I have a dodge ram 3500 dually with an 8 ft bed. I want to get a Lance camper 815 that is 8ft 3 inches and pull it back 9-12 inches so I can fit an auxiliary fuel tank in front of it. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• camper pulled back.jpeg
    camper pulled back.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 10
x.gif

Hey folks, was wondering how many of you have done this or seen it done and think its safe. I have a dodge ram 3500 dually with an 8 ft bed. I want to get a Lance camper 815 that is 8ft 3 inches and pull it back 9-12 inches so I can fit an auxiliary fuel tank in front of it. What do you guys think?
With the camper all the way in, take a measurement from the ground to the front bumper then do it again with the camper back the distance you need. See what the difference would be. Some of that difference will be offset by the weight of a full tank but what about when it’s empty. You might want to also do it at the rear bumper.
Also, You have to think about what the outcome could be if someone rear ends you. Those little hold down straps won’t stop it from sliding fwd.

When I had a cabover I utilized the space between the wheel wells and the front and rear of the bed for storage. I ended up getting 2 house batteries in the forward spaces. IIRC I had tool boxes in the rear spaces.

I would be more inclined to manufacture a couple of tanks, or in the classic (hot rod) world you can buy all kinds of form factor tanks ready made, and fit them in the spaces and plumb them together.

I lived in that cabover for more than a year while I was in trade school.

When I had a cabover I utilized the space between the wheel wells and the front and rear of the bed for storage. I ended up getting 2 house batteries in the forward spaces. IIRC I had tool boxes in the rear spaces.

I would be more inclined to manufacture a couple of tanks, or in the classic (hot rod) world you can buy all kinds of form factor tanks ready made, and fit them in the spaces and plumb them together.

I just remembered that the truck camper I had there were two doors inside the camper down by the floor that gave access to the front two spaces

I just remembered that the truck camper I had there were two doors inside the camper down by the floor that gave access to the front two spaces
Yes - and because the spaces were exposed to the elements you were limited in what you wanted to store in there.

The rear spaces were actually enclosed now that I think about it. The left rear was a furnace and the right rear was a broom/hanging closet.

Man, that was some years ago - like 1978/1979...

With the camper all the way in, take a measurement from the ground to the front bumper then do it again with the camper back the distance you need. See what the difference would be. Some of that difference will be offset by the weight of a full tank but what about when it’s empty. You might want to also do it at the rear bumper.
Also, You have to think about what the outcome could be if someone rear ends you. Those little hold down straps won’t stop it from sliding fwd.
yeah getting hit from behind might pose a problem, wasnt thinking of that really...

yes I guess i could have someone weld some tanks to fit around my wheel wells, that might get a little costly though...to replace the oem 36 gallon tank for a 100 costs about 1500 I think, didnt really want to spend that either...

No harm to just put the TC on a foot back. If you can still tie it down to the truck and the TC floor is fine hanging off a little (or tailgate down?) then no issues. Dont load the TC with weight at the back as much as you used to of course.

I had a truck where I kept two GC batts in front of the wheel fenders. The batts were always with the truck. On the same truck in a newer model the fenders were different and of less room and this was not an option. I would not think it cost effective to custom make two tanks to fit there, but maybe it would be in your case.
Check with welding shops, $1,500 sound high for a couple hrs work welding and cutting...
You make a model out of cardboard and take it in to be replicated in metal will save lots of money.
Have you checked under the truck for more room?
Run the exhaust out in front of the rear tire and that opens up a lot of room for another fuel tank. You can buy a generic tank and bolt it in, similar how the stock tank is bolted in. Or get a junk yard tank and have the same 35 gallon capacity as your stock one, and keep TC in place.

No harm to just put the TC on a foot back. If you can still tie it down to the truck and the TC floor is fine hanging off a little (or tailgate down?) then no issues. Dont load the TC with weight at the back as much as you used to of course.

I had a truck where I kept two GC batts in front of the wheel fenders. The batts were always with the truck. On the same truck in a newer model the fenders were different and of less room and this was not an option. I would not think it cost effective to custom make two tanks to fit there, but maybe it would be in your case.
Check with welding shops, $1,500 sound high for a couple hrs work welding and cutting...
You make a model out of cardboard and take it in to be replicated in metal will save lots of money.
Have you checked under the truck for more room?
Run the exhaust out in front of the rear tire and that opens up a lot of room for another fuel tank. You can buy a generic tank and bolt it in, similar how the stock tank is bolted in. Or get a junk yard tank and have the same 35 gallon capacity as your stock one, and keep TC in place.
I will look and see what kind of space I have underneith and possibly move the tail pipe like you suggested. The $1500 was the 100 gal replacement tank that goes where the OEM 35 gallon tank is currently.

Do a google search for "(your year) dodge 3500 auxiliary fuel tank". There are pages and pages of hits.

I once had a Ford F350 (don't remember the year but it was in the early '80s) that I put saddle tanks on. They were after market. They mounted between the frame and the outside of the box on both sides underneath the truck just behind the cab. With the stock tank, I had total of 100 gallons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom