Auxiliary fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardrider

While investigating a fuel delivery problem to my generator I discovered that the aux fuel tank is labeled diesel only. The gen is gasoline and there is a fuel station onboard. What difference does it make?

Welcome to the Forum!

Please provide a bit more information:  Make and model of the camper, TH, I assume?
Is this a motorized RV or a towable?
Where does the genny draw its fuel?  The aux tank or the fuel station?
Where is the aux tank labeled Diesel Only located and what does it feed?

As I am sure you know, gas and diesel are NOT interchangeable!

If you take the cap off of the auxiliary diesel fuel only tank and smell inside the tank does it smell like gas or diesel?

You need to sort this out before doing anything else, using the wrong fuel can be catastrophic. 

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

The trailer is a 2006 24' Santek custom build. It's a toy hauler. The fuel tank supplies the fuel for the generator and fueling station. The tank label is located next to the fuel pickup plumbing and fuel level sensor. Tank has never had diesel fuel in it. I found the label after cutting a hole in the trailer floor so I could access the tank connections. My guess at this point is that the diesel only on the label is there to warn you not to put another type of fuel in the tank.

So, you are saying the label was hidden from a normal viewing location, the tank has never contained diesel, and there are no other labels or indicators that the tank is diesel only.  The tank is intended to feed a gas generator and a fuel station which presumably will fill gas powered toys.  The aux tank and fueling station tank are on in the same.  I think we have an answer!!

A "diesel only" label could mean that the pump is not rated for volatile fuels. Gasoline is highly volatile and will readily ignite with any spark. Diesel will not. Or possibly a tank that does not meet FDOT standards for gasoline fuel tanks.  Most fuel tanks I see are rated for both, but there might be differences in the requirements for gas vs diesel.  Read more about FDOT fuel tank certification on the Transfer Flow website:
https://www.transferflow.com/regulations

More often, though, it's just a preventative to warn against putting gas in a system that normally contains diesel, i.e. a diesel genset.

I would contact the manufacture and ask them what the he-- is going on!

Back
Top Bottom