Avenue of the Giants (CA Redwoods)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I was going to head out to Sacramento Pass, NV, but I see its now close to 100°F (38°C) even though that is at a high elevation. So I will head out that way perhaps in a few months when things cool off a bit.

So I decided to go up near the Avenue of the Giants, near Redcrest and Garberville, CA, where is it cooler.

Any recommendations of where to stay or anything else?

-Don- Auburn, CA

We stayed at Benbow KOA more than 10 years ago. At the time it was a decent campground. It was just a few miles from town and if memory serves, it was close to August and pretty warm. While in the area, we drove through a State Park that IMHO was one of California's worst.

We stayed at Benbow KOA more than 10 years ago. At the time it was a decent campground. It was just a few miles from town and if memory serves, it was close to August and pretty warm. While in the area, we drove through a State Park that IMHO was one of California's worst.
Worst in which ways? I have been in the area before but perhaps even more than ten years ago.

I see the RV camps in the area now are asking around a hundred bucks per night.

Yeah, the peak temps have been in the 80's. That is tolerable.

-Don- Colfax, CA

The park we drove through was old. Likely one of the oldest in the State. It didn't have any facilities and was not much more than a cleared dirt site with no hookups. Things may have changed but I'd be surprised. As rich as California is, not much of the money goes to State Parks.

Don the last time we were in that area (South of the redwoods) we stayed at an Indian tribe CG, directly across the N/S highway(101) from their tribal HQ. The sites were all drive through because they were side by side with utilities in between. I can't remember any names.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about Ancient Redwoods RV | in Redcrest. Reviews are good and plan on being there July 10 with granddaughters.

Another one is Home We did a drive through with the toad several years ago. Spent some time talking to the managers. Right on the river.

Don't miss Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center a few miles north of Meyers Flat. There is a State park adjacent to it but with the size restriction we wouldn't be able to fit, according to them. We drove through it also with the toad, it is a beautiful park. I did see a few spots that I would fit, 35' Class A, and the roads didn't seem that tight.

I have heard good things about Ancient Redwoods RV | in Redcrest. Reviews are good and plan on being there July 10 with granddaughters.

Another one is Home We did a drive through with the toad several years ago. Spent some time talking to the managers. Right on the river.

Don't miss Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center a few miles north of Meyers Flat. There is a State park adjacent to it but with the size restriction we wouldn't be able to fit, according to them. We drove through it also with the toad, it is a beautiful park. I did see a few spots that I would fit, 35' Class A, and the roads didn't seem that tight.
That sounds perfect! I just sent an email to Ancient Redwoods.

I am leaving a bit later than expected, I want to get past the July 4th extra-long weekend for many. Other reason as well, for delaying my leave date, which was going to be this Monday.

There is a good chance we will both be there at the same time. I am going to be staying there for a week, but nothing is yet confirmed.

-Don- Reno, NV

Reviews are good and plan on being there July 10 with granddaughters.
I will be there July 7 to 14, so we will be there at the same time. Are you only staying for one night? I am booked for the week.

Only $396.36 for a week there. Another place I checked near there was asking closer to a hundred bucks per night.

They ask to call them on the way in, but no cell service there, so has to be done from a distance. They do have their own wi-fi system, so can still get on line. And they say their wi-fi there is a good system that actually works well.

-Don- Reno, NV

I will be there July 7 to 14, so we will be there at the same time. Are you only staying for one night? I am booked for the week.

Only $396.36 for a week there. Another place I checked near there was asking closer to a hundred bucks per night.

They ask to call them on the way in, but no cell service there, so has to be done from a distance. They do have their own wi-fi system, so can still get on line. And they say their wi-fi there is a good system that actually works well.

-Don- Reno, NV
We are there 7/10-12.

I recall seeing them going south, sorta have a vague idea. Coming North I would stay on 101 to exit 671, Barkdull Rd. and then head south to the park. IIRC Ave of the Giants doesn't get too twisty till just south of Redcrest. I have no doubt I can do it, but it is one of these things I'd rather not depend on other drivers to keep their rig on the proper side of the road. There is a load of trees right at, if not over the fog line and most are missing some bark. Besides I hate the collision alarm in the right seat.

Leaving from there to go to Gold Beach for the jet boats. Rogue River Jet Boats | Jerry's Rogue Jets

Coming North I would stay on 101 to exit 671, Barkdull Rd. and then head south to the park. IIRC Ave of the Giants doesn't get too twisty till just south of Redcrest.
Thanks for the instructions. I see that on the map and it isn't as far from the north, so it does look like a better route to take to pass the place first on 101.

-Don- Reno, NV

Coming North I would stay on 101 to exit 671, Barkdull Rd. and then head south to the park.
That is what I did and that worked out very well, thanks!

I called them and asked if I could come a day early, and they said okay. So I will be here for 8 nights.

There are many unused RV slots here, about half, even on a Saturday, that they do not want to rent out. Another RV Park that has no interest in making more money. Reminds me of this place.

There is NO cell service here. Not a trace of it, cannot even get one bar on my Verizon cell or hotspot.

But the wireless here at the RV Park does work better than most. The best I have seen yet, but I normally don't use the RV Park connections, but here I have no choice.

-Don- Ancient Redwoods RV Park, Ave of the Giants, Redcrest, CA

Interesting on the cell coverage. According to RVlife reviews it shows decent signals. Wonder if the tower nearby is down.

Interesting on the cell coverage. According to RVlife reviews it shows decent signals. Wonder if the tower nearby is down.
They tell me coverage on all cell systems never works here. So where is that tower located? The elevation here is 125 feet with a lot of thick trees just above to attenuate the signals.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

Here is some info about this park. No way to stay here after 1700 hrs without a reservation. And no way to call them because the office is closed. And no cell service.

The sign says "no sites available" and here are some photos of this "full" RV park (the RVs at the end on the right were part of a group which already left, so those spaces are now also empty):
fullpark1.JPGfullpark2.JPGnovacsign.JPGreguestsign.JPGrulesign.JPG

-Don- Ancient Redwoods RV Park, Redcrest, CA

The Eel River next to here does not have eels, but it has lampreys that many people call eels. They look weird:

1720454682780.png
-Don- Redcrest, CA

Today, I first took a short hike in the Redwoods.

Some of these old Redwoods have names.

First below is the "Tripple-Tree". It shares the same base, all three are the same tree.

Some others we can stand inside or walk through them (last two photos below).aTriTree.JPGStandinside.JPGwalkthrutree.JPG
After that short hike, I took a swim in the Eel River.

I enjoy this place a lot. Perfect place for me. Here, it is great for motorcycle riding, hiking, and swimming. Great scenery everywhere around here

I will come here perhaps every summer from now on.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

They tell me coverage on all cell systems never works here. So where is that tower located? The elevation here is 125 feet with a lot of thick trees just above to attenuate the signals.

-Don- Redcrest, CA
We are in the park now. I have Visible which runs on Verizon and has 0.0 service. Wife is on Consumer Cellular on AT&T towers and it is wall-to-wall signal, I'm hot spotting off of her phone now. Last night we stayed at Golden Bear RV in Klamath, CA and I'm the one who had a signal. Go figure. (Until I go to post this then I get kicked off.)

We are in the park now. I have Visible which runs on Verizon and has 0.0 service. Wife is on Consumer Cellular on AT&T towers and it is wall-to-wall signal, I'm hot spotting off of her phone now. Last night we stayed at Golden Bear RV in Klamath, CA and I'm the one who had a signal. Go figure. (Until I go to post this then I get kicked off.)
Oh, I thought you were headed north, but you are coming from the north, which means you're headed south.

I am at the far end of this park in 26, you will see my Zero electric motorcycle outside when I am here or close around here.

Also, I have a ham antenna in front of the Vision Class A.

That is interesting that AT&T works here but not Verizon. I don't miss not having the cell here, as I rarely use mine as a phone. I have other ways to communicate that work from anywhere, such as my inReach. But can't make a phone call with it, just good for email accounts.

-Don- Redcrest, CA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom