Averting a disaster...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going with the HDPP on this one and have opted for a trailer that still meets my needs (wants) and is a bit less weight. This one should be within the safety AND weight limits.
  Good....this will be a great towing combo for you. The new 3.5 EB engine at 375hp and 470 torque sure won't have any issues in the mountains or out here in high head wind areas. Nor does the power drop off with the twin turbos like the 6.2 engine in the F250 at higher elevations.
  The big plus for you will be some high mpg as a daily driver compared to the 6.2 gazz guzzler in a F250.

A good lesson from others comments about their F150s is they bought into the wrong F150 with those smaller GVWR/RAWR packages for their trailers. Your starting at the top with the F150 HD with 7850 gvwr and 4800 rawr. A wise choise indeed.

Here's the thing, the F150 with enough payload to handle the trailers you like PLUS a family of 5 will ride just like an F250 but will not have the increased frame of the 250 or the increased mass to overcome a 32' trailer that weighs more than the truck. It's just not a great idea, costs more to buy and is less truck.

I haven't read all the comments and I'm sure by now most have said you need a 3/4 ton and maybe a vote or two for 1ton. Hogwash. Keep to the specs of the truck and the truck will do its job.

The new Ford's have no problem towing their rated capacities. These trucks have been tested to these limits to a standard. Not like the days of old when the manufacture did what they wanted and made wild claims based on marketing hype.
Video F150 towing 9500 pounds up/down the IKE. 60 mph up 7% grade towing 9,500 pounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4isefQedA

I don't have max towing or max payload and have no trouble towing 9,300 pounds (7,000 pound 5th wheel and 2,300 pound boat). I crusie at 60mph, no issues with braking or getting up to speed. I average 8-11mpg towing, depends on headwinds. Last weekend I made a 450 miles round trip with just the camper and averaged 10.4 mpg. It was 11.8 heading to St. Louis, and less coming back (headwinds). No wind going there. Yes, I triple tow with a F150. Yes, I would tow it through the Rockies, and yes I grew up in Summit county, elevation 9,100' above sea level. I was at the Eisenhower tunnel wihen it opened. Before the IKE we used to drive over Loveland pass to get our monthly grocieries in Denver. The pass goes above tree line, something like 11,000' or 12,000'. The tunnel is a nice shortcut.

As a DD. I average 19-20mpg around town during the summer and 17-19mpg in teh winter. I let it idle about 10minutes before I leave. I love remote start. towing only the boat I average 17-18 on the interstate, again doing 60mph. Last summer I made a 1,000 mile family vacation (week long trip) and averaged 24.2 mpg. No 250 or 250 cam touch those mpg.

keymastr said:
Here's the thing, the F150 with enough payload to handle the trailers you like PLUS a family of 5 will ride just like an F250 but will not have the increased frame of the 250 or the increased mass to overcome a 32' trailer that weighs more than the truck. It's just not a great idea, costs more to buy and is less truck.

The frame is fully boxed which makes it stronger than the old c-channel and plenty of strength for towing its rated capacity.
Besides, ALL trucks can tow more than they weigh, so that is an invalid argument. True a 1 ton can tow more than a 1/2 ton, but it's still towing more than it weighs.

Ford uses three different frame thicknesses for all their F150 GVWR and GAWR packages.

... .087 thick LD....4.95 sect modulus
... .100 thick HD....5.73 ""    "    "
... 110 thick HDPP.....6.28 sect modulus
All with a 49,300 psi frame and  6100 up to 8200 lb gvwr....and 3300 up to 4800 lb rawr. Its not hard to see how some folks bought the wrong F150 for the job.

We just went through this.  I was debating the 150/250 thing having traded my 2013 in for a truck with more payload.  I went with the 150.  When I did, I looked at my wife and said "will you be ok with the Rockwood 2509S?  Getting a 150 will rule out several trailers we are looking at".  She was fine with it.  We went with the smaller trailer, and are happy with it.  I'm really liking the ride and 20mpg during my commute to work. 

The power, towing capacity, handling, features, and ride comfort on the new 1/2 ton pickups is amazing. On the other hand, my old Durango rides like a truck not too distant from the ride of my dad's 1951 International pickup.

pip said:
I'm really liking the ride and 20mpg during my commute to work.

You just have to love the 20 MPG.

I would recommend looking into a bed cover. It will give you extra dry storage and it can improve your MPG's. We did for the storage but picked up 2 plus more MPG's

Already have a bak revolver x4.  That 20mpg is coming with 3.55 gears, and LT E rated All Terrain tires.

I traded in a 13 F150 with 3.5eb and a tow package (not quite max tow) and 3.31 gears.  The gen 2 ecoboost, and 10speed transmission are giving me better combined gas mileage than the other truck got on the highway, 500 pounds greater payload, and a more comfortable ride.

Gonecampin said:
Yes sir. I found an F-150 forum that has a section specifically for the 3.5L V6 EB HDPP. It's CRAZY what some people pull with those things. Far more than what I have seen "seasoned" haulers are recommending. In any case, several people have confirmed that as long as I go with the HDPP setup, I will be well within the limits (safety and capacity wise) for this truck/trailer combo.

This is the truck we have pulling a Jayco similar in size and weight to what you?re planning to pull and we can?t even tell it?s behind us.  The new F150s with this engine are so much better than they used to be.  Night and day difference, enjoy! 

I think I might of just seen your twin yesterday at the dealership! He was returning a 13k lb trailer due to being too big/heavy for his F150 :)

My advice as owning a F150 eco is this:

-I just towed ~5000 lbs back from the dealership almost effortlessly. I was able to maintain highway speed up hills/etc, get around slower vehicles, etc. My GVWR on the trailer is 7600 lbs. Knowing that, and how it towed, I am expecting my truck to be right at "enough" when fully loaded to be able to still maneuver around the road. Any more weight than that with our motors I think you are going to start to be stuck in the "slow lane" pretty much permanently. You will not be passing even slower cars without holding up traffic behind you.

Towing that trailer home you will get a VERY good idea what kind of power you can maintain. For example, I saw 2nd gear on the highway for the first time in my life. That is somethign to keep in mind when you are towing home the unloaded trailer.

And that payload does seem almost unrealistically high for the F150; unless there are 0 options installed on the truck (except max tow, HDD, etc). My Lariate is only rated for 1175. Before you sign ANY single paper, get an actual picture or look at yourself on the door sticker to conifrm.

P.S. I would also reccomend a higher gear ratio if you can swing it. I have the 3.31 (its fine) but you could be better off with a 3.55 or higher if you really wanted some hauling capacity. (plug it will help keep you in the higher RPM range for power)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom