Avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasillaguy

This is more of a spectator sport than an outdoor activity, and all you need is an avocado and campground squirrels.
1. Eat avocado
2. Place avocado seed on picnic table of empty site adjacent to yours.
3. Grab a beverage and watch the show.

This is the best camping tip I know.

I used to camp with friends and while fishing they would take the hook off the line and tie peanuts for bait. The kids would cast into the outer edges of campsite and tease the squirrels. Some pretty hilarious tug of wars.

I used to camp with friends and while fishing they would take the hook off the line and tie peanuts for bait. The kids would cast into the outer edges of campsite and tease the squirrels. Some pretty hilarious tug of wars.

This one sounds like it could be really funny to watch.

I guess I'm the wet blanket, per usual. Don't feed the animals, any park ranger will tell you the same.

And, I tend to think there are more amusing things than watching animals fight over food they need in order to live? Right?

I don't really want to spoil anybody's fun, but, Avocado pits can be dangerous to pets, and rodents like Squirrels.

I learned this after my granddaughter stopped me from offering one to her horse.

"The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and more serious signs in other animals due to a wide range in sensitivity across species. Birds, horses and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado toxicity."

Reactions: SMR
So what do I do about the squirrels in my yard that destroy my avocados while they are green, they steal my pomegranate fruit and make a huge red mess, they take my tangerines before I can pick them, they get my tomatoes before they are ripe.

Am I feeding wild animals?

Campground squirrels are like rats, they will eat holes in you tent and food boxes to get to your food. Kids having fun with peanuts at least get something in return. And the squirrels were not fighting over food they need to live. There was tons of natural conifers at the campground and forest, the squirrels just prefer easy pickins.

But I agree with the concept of not feeding wild animals.

I agree with the concept of not feeding wild animals too. Great concept, but not reality as already mentioned. Humans feed wildlife in a thousand different ways, but mostly straight out of the fields and orchards. Avocado trees all over So. Cal. and yet they still have squirrels.
Think of it this way- we are also natural creatures, so when our activities result in feeding wildlife, that's natural. If we are self conscious about it and stop doing it, that's natural too.
We can't lose!

So what do I do about the squirrels in my yard that destroy my avocados while they are green, they steal my pomegranate fruit and make a huge red mess, they take my tangerines before I can pick them, they get my tomatoes before they are ripe.

Am I feeding wild animals?

Campground squirrels are like rats, they will eat holes in you tent and food boxes to get to your food. Kids having fun with peanuts at least get something in return. And the squirrels were not fighting over food they need to live. There was tons of natural conifers at the campground and forest, the squirrels just prefer easy pickins.

But I agree with the concept of not feeding wild animals.

I don't know. My neighbor used to gripe about the bobcats that would eat his chickens and the neighbor next to us was mad that animals got into the trash, specifically a bear. I used to just roll my eyes.

What I know about all animals, wild or not. If you put food out, they will come.

It seems the world is full of stuff we aren't supposed to do any more.

Now that I have moved onto the "ranch" my dogs are outdoor dogs - remember those?

I put them in a 20 X 20 kennel at night but they are free to roam all day long out here in the country.

I put their food out twice a day and the left overs are mostly eaten by ants. If there is any left from the last feeding I toss it in the grass. Rabbits and squirrels (and the odd stray cat) have been see eating it. But when the dogs see them the chase is on - that's fun to watch - squirrels tend to get up a tree but rabbits put on a good show. Dogs and rabbits and cats are wicked fast.

I suppose I am going to animal hell for allowing the poor rabbits to get traumatized - LOL.

The dogs love being outdoors. It seems that dogs are not actually human babies and don't have to sleep in bed with humans to survive. And if an odd squirrel or rabbit eats some dog food? Oh, well. Last I checked the world wasn't running out of squirrels or rabbits - of which I put both in the rat/varmint category.

I'm reminded of a cartoon or comic.. I think Comic, I think Broom Hilda. (not sure)
Brommie is teasing the monkeys at the zoo.
Behind her is the Great Ape exhibit.
one of them has spread the bars, Picked up a good size rock, stretched an inner tube (with the rock) and is taking aim at Broomie.

Now that I have moved onto the "ranch" my dogs are outdoor dogs - remember those?

I live in a rural area and the biggest problem with "outdoor dogs" now is naive people who move here from the city thinking a dog is lost if it's off leash. So they capture it in their car or take it home and then post it up on a community page as a lost/found pet. There are several people around here who have had their dogs "kidnapped" by a concerned Karen more than once. Some have put tags on their collars which say I AM NOT LOST or something to that effect 🤣

Up here it is perfectly legal to shoot dogs/cats that wander onto your property, and many people do.
They're kind of like anti-Karens.

Back
Top Bottom