Awning latch worn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rankjo

Hi. This is an A+E 8500 awning, and the latch is worn. When I pull out the awning it won't catch until it rolls up again two or three turns.
I can see that the endcap has been off before and re-riveted back on.
I have been on the internet and looked at what's available for advice. It seems like you pull out the awning and lock it with "cotter pins" which stops the torsion bar from spinning round on you. I'm trying to imagine what kind of cotter pin I would be prepared to trust my life to: would this be a split pin like something you might put in a trailer bearing?? Maybe I don't understand the physics of this. And do you need to pin both ends or just the end with the latch?
If I order the latch will these pins come with it?
Rankjo

Hi, this may be the same information you have already seen:

rverscorner

dutchmen-rv

Just make sure that you use a quality pin, not a cheap one from a bargain assortment. Any hardware store should be able to help. Better to be bothered by the trip to the store than broken fingers.

[edit]Made links live - Karl[/edit]

Thank you for that. Yes, I have already looked at those. Further researches seems to suggest that the cam latch on the end of the tube no longer is offered as a separate item for the A+E 8500. Apparently, according to the local RV repair shop, the torsion bar and cam latch comes as one part. This is supposed to be for safety reasons.
I guess my question is resolving itself. The repair procedure seems to be that you use "cotter pins" to fix the torsion tube in position, then take the whole thing off the coach and set it on sawhorses. Then unbolt the lower arm. Then grasp the endcap with a FGBVG (large vicegrip) and unwind the tension turn by turn while other(s) hold the tube steady and you take extreme care not to break a wrist or let the VG fly round and round and maim someone.
Then you knock out the pin just outside the endplate, take out the cotters, drill out the rivits, and take the endplate off. Then you can see what the problem with the cam latch is and repair it.
Sounds like it needs a team of about three strong guys with steady nerves and a day to spare.
Rankjo

Your RV guy is right.  A&E quit selling the camlock seperatley several years ago.  You now have to replace the whole spring assembly to fix the problem.  Reason:  unit comes assembled from another country and they make more money on the assembly.

Well now, I seem to be managing fairly well without the latch right now, so maybe I'll just plug along for a while. Before you jump in, the "awning up" part of the latch works just fine, it's only the "awning down" that is worn out. Maybe I'll look for a used one, spend all sorts of time avoiding the inevitable, and then give in to the ripoff.
Rankjo

Actually it is rather simple to replace the cam and spring on an A&E - I've done it  a couple of times. It is convenient at one point to have a second pair of hands, but not totally necessary. And you don't have to remove the awning from the coach - just lower it fully and disconnect the arm from the side of the coach. I find it useful to rest the awning on a step ladder or other tall support while the arm is disconnected, but an assistance could hold it for you too.

If you order the torsion spring/cam unit, you will get complete instructions with it. Less than an hour if you've done it before, but probably longer your first time. I've found PPL Motorhomes part a good & inexpensive source for A&E parts.

rankjo said:
Well now, I seem to be managing fairly well without the latch right now, so maybe I'll just plug along for a while. Before you jump in, the "awning up" part of the latch works just fine, it's only the "awning down" that is worn out.
Rankjo

If I'm understanding your problem correctly you might want to consider sooner rather than later.  The ratchet assembly is what keeps the awning rolled up and if worn can allow the wind to unfurl it as you travel down the highway  :eek:  this can really wake you up on a late night drive in a good stiff crosswind ... as they say, don't ask me how I know!!  ::)  And when it happened the second time, within 10 miles of the first place on another night it was only slightly less exciting.  ;D 

Needless to say we learned more about it soon and had the ratchet replaced and no further problems.

Howard

Gary, thank you for that encouragement. I think I'll just get on with it.
Rankjo

Thanks for the offer. I imagine that when I let the news out that I have a project on the go, a crowd will form ;)
Rankjo

Well it's done, and as RV Roamer suggested, it was easy.
Most of the problems I imagined were, as is often the case, imaginary.
Only minimal hand tools were necessary, headed by a vicegrip, a drill, and a pop-riviter (rivits provided in the kit).
A ladder is handy, but your site picnic table would suffice.
The instructions were excellent, and the whole replacement unit was $66.24 inc shipping from Dometic, or PPL in Texas.
The unwinding and rewinding of the spring needs care but is not difficult.
The old latch had lost all its cogs and was completely round.
Was a pleasure to have the awning working easily again.

Thank you RV Roamer for your encouragement.
Rankjo

Re "another awning pro in the crowd"
actually, the two members of the crack team I assembled to complete the job were so tickled with the simplicity of the repair that they have both decided to do their own awnings and one has already ordered the parts!!
Rankjo

I wish I could've been there to see it!  It seems I may need this repair soon too.  Following my recent unfurling adventure , I've noticed the cam lock does not operate like it should anymore.  :-\  It's never facing the right way (UP) to lock the roller in place when the awning is retracted.

One thing we noticed is that the ratchet wheel in the latch seemed to be a much better quality than the old one. It makes a very satisfactory "click-click-click" which the old one never did.
Only time will tell though. I bought the MH in mid O6 (it is an 01) and the latch mechanism has already been replaced once.
Rankjo

One thing we noticed is that the ratchet wheel in the latch seemed to be a much better quality than the old one.

I've noticed the same thing on our awning.  I replaced the torsion spring assembly on the right side and all new fabric on our awning.  Here's a picture of the new ratchet type on the left and the older cam type on the right (it was really worn out).

Attachments

• PIC 1 (reduced).jpg
    PIC 1 (reduced).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom