Awnings in the wind . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take pics. I like food pics! I like to see what restaurants serve!
Wendy's is just a fast-food place. Don't they exist in Maryland?

I like the Breakfast Baconator here at Windy's. I fairly often go to these fast-food places for breakfast, when they are open inside (many are not during this Covid thing). I normally only go to such places for my breakfast.

I am still at the Wendy's. Headed to Wal*Mart from here that is just down the block.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Sounds like you have been out and about seeing the town, I will try to swing by when passing by your side of town this afternoon and see if you are home.

What happens to heat pumps when it's extra cold? At least mine is still working okay, it's running right now.

-Don- in sunny 26F DeRidder, LA
When the outside temperature drops below an efficient operating point for a heat pump operating in interior heating mode, an exterior thermostat shuts it down. When that happens, the unit typically either turns on auxiliary electric heat or a gas fired heating unit if available. All refrigeration units are actually heat pumps, but the ones typically marketed as "heat pumps" are unique in that they use a set of valves to transfer or "pump" heat in either direction. Getting into physics just a touch, A/C units don't actually cool anything. The lowered temperature is just the result of the A/C unit transferring some of the heat energy elsewhere.

When that happens, the unit typically either turns on auxiliary electric heat or a gas fired heating unit if available.
Mine fires up the propane furnace and I was wondering why it came on when electric was selected. Anyway, even though it comes on once in a while and uses a little propane, it sure saves a lot of it.

This motorhome has two electric and one propane furnace. They all work very well. I wish I could say the same for my tankless water heater, which is a big disappointment after having one in a house for many years that worked perfectly.

This town isn't bad after it warms up a bit. I just came back from the Wally*Mart.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

DonTom, what is wrong with your water heater?
We have the same in our Vison and it works well.
The only time I saw our's "not working" was when the water pressure was too low.
You can try "resetting" it by turning it off and on on the panel in the bathroom. I assume that's where it is.
And you can do the same on the home screen of the FireFly system.
And then there is an on/off switch outside by the heater itself. Right next to the exhaust.

But how many RV awnings? :)

What do you guys do out here when those hurricanes hit? I know nothing about them since I have always lived on the west coast.

-Don- DeRidder, LA
There are basically 2 options, shelter in place, or run away, until now I have always sheltered in place, but after the double blow from Laura followed by Delta which hit within a couple of miles of the same landfall as Laura 3 weeks later in 2020, I am going to leave next time there is a major hurricane. Laura was the strongest hurricane to hit the Louisiana coast in over 150 years, being a strong Cat 4 at landfall (1 mph short of being a Cat 5), and it was like no other hurricane I have ever experienced, I thought Rita was bad in 2006 with 95-100 mph winds at our house 80+ miles inland, but that was nothing compared to Laura with 130+ mph winds when the eye passed over our town. For those of you not in hurricane territory, picture being inside an F2 tornado for 3-5 hours, with a path of total distruction 50+ miles wide. Here that meant 80% of houses having roof damage, 1 in 5 houses rendered uninhabitable, many of which are still waiting to be repaired or torn down 18+ months later. The local timber industry estimates over $1.2 billion in lost timber with 1 in 4 trees downed or damaged to the point of being unharvestable. Over 200 trees downed or uprooted at the local city park (well over half the trees in the park), with the park just reopening in the last month or two, many of those being 100+ year old trees. Power being out for weeks afterward, over 10,000 power poles in our parish (county) had to be replaced (we were very lucky at our house we are on the same grid section as the local hospital and government buildings so we were within the first 3% getting power back on day 6 post storm). Then of course Delta hit while many people were still without power from Laura, its track went about 40 miles east of us thankfully, so we only experienced 95 mph winds from it, yet local downed tree damage, and roof damage was nearly as bad as from Laura with many trees that were weakened by Laura falling during Delta, and temporary roof tarps put up just days earlier being ripped away. Driving around the area today the destruction is still apparent, many twisted and mangled trees everywhere you look, houses that are sitting empty with visible damage, appliances sitting outside, many houses still have blue tarps on the roofs, some are awaiting repairs, many with home owners that can't afford repairs due to limited or no insurance coverage.

Did not see that post of yours.
It does take a little to get warm water and I wish they would have made it a closed circuit to circulate the water until it's hot.
Other than that I have no complaints. I have ours set to 105F. That way I don't need to mix in cold water.
There is a brief second of cooler water after stopping the shower, but it's not enough for me to consider that an issue. Play with the temperature settings and see if it makes a difference.
Keep a bucket handy to catch the initial cold water and use it for the toilet.
Works for me.

Other than that I have no complaints. I have ours set to 105F. That way I don't need to mix in cold water.
Thats the same temp I use, and the same way I do it, no cold water used.

But we get enough of that cold water from the hot being on with a tankless! Way too much of it.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Thats the same temp I use, and the same way I do it, no cold water used.

But we get enough of that cold water from the hot being on with a tankless! Way too much of it.

-Don- DeRidder, LA
Same units, similar if not the same settings, different outcomes. Why am I not surprised?

My wife and I went out to eat dinner with Don tonight at a local chain cajun / seafood restaurant (Steamboat Bill's), and none of us took photos. So here is the next best thing, images of what we had from their web site:

Don and my wife both had the Shrimp & Crab Gumbo, I had the Shrimp Etouffee and we had an order of 3 Boudin balls as an appetizer, though they ended up being so late getting to the table that they were more like dessert

p.s. I am feeling ripped off now, our ranch dressing dip for the boudin balls did no have any chives on top like as seen in then photo

Attachments

• Shrimp Étouffée.jpg
    Shrimp Étouffée.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Shrimp & Crab Gumbo.jpg
    Shrimp & Crab Gumbo.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Boudin Ball (1).jpg
    Boudin Ball (1).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2
My wife and I went out to eat dinner with Don tonight at a local chain cajun / seafood restaurant (Steamboat Bill's), and none of us took photos. So here is the next best thing, images of what we had from their web site:

Don and my wife both had the Shrimp & Crab Gumbo, I had the Shrimp Etouffee and we had an order of 3 Boudin balls as an appetizer, though they ended up being so late getting to the table that they were more like dessert
LOL, we loaded up the freezer with all kinds of goodies while we were in New Orleans last week. We stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park. Lots of markets right next door there.

Oh, I did not know they had reopened since the hurricane damage, we had reservations there when Covid first hit, which were canceled due to FEMA using the state park as a Covid command center / quarantine area for New Orleans (one of the first places hit in the US by covid in March of 2020), we received our deposit money back, as well as a gift card from the state for double what our charges would have been, we need to use it as I think it expires in a few months.

Ours seems to have fewer issues than yours.
I think the issues I have are expected with tankless in RVs. Which issues do I have that you do not? Other than the "Fd" error I got this morning for being too cold to work at all? Perhaps you have not yet been to such a cold place where you needed the water heater.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Back
Top Bottom