Awnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlady daddy

On MH, what is the purpose of the Slideout Awnings that is directly above the roof of each slideout?? Is it necessary to have a slideout awnings? I am not talking about curbside awning or the window awnings.

Are the roof of the slideout insulated ?

vlady daddy said:
On MH, what is the purpose of the Slideout Awnings that is directly above the roof of each slideout?  Is it necessary to have a slideout awings? I am not talking about curbside awning or the window awings.

Are the roof of the slideout insulated ?

Most of us have one but not all. The main purpose is to keep debris and leaves off so when you put it in the stuff does not get caught up in seal.

They are pretty maintenance free and not a problem on road, somewhat unlike the big ones which sometimes come out in the wind.

I have had mine on slideout for nearly 7 years without a problem.

My neighbor did not think one was necessary but after having to climb up and get the leaves off a few times he went and had one installed. Just a data point.

Bob

As stated above the awning protects the slideout and seals from junk.  It additionally provides a layer of insulating air between the hot sun and the roof of the slideout in effect cooling the slide out roof and saving you some AC.  They are generally maintenance free and need only be lubricated and replaced if and when the fabric deteriorates.

All in all they are a good thing.

;)

How do you wash and wax the roof section of the slideout  with  slideout awnings in the way ? Do the slideout awnings detach on one end for cleaning?

I also read members here using product like Protectall without using running water to wash and rinse.
Is it a good idea to use running water to wash the MH slideout with the slideout extracted? I hear no mention of using running water to wash and riinse the MH  with the slideout in the out positon.  You don't want to rinse rubber seal directly with a water hose in a convertiable car, is this similar with a MH slideout?

I use protect all on a long handle and wipe it on and rub in off the same way. 

Why would you want to wax the top of the slideout?  Washing can be done easily with a hose and long handled brush, but the point of the cover is to keep the dirt off of it.  I don't think we've ever washed the top of our slideout.

What Ned says - rarely any need to wash or wax the top of a slideout.

As for washing the rig, don't be afraid to hose it down.  While I wouldn't intentionally spray directly into a slide out seal with a pressure nozzle, the normal wash & rinse kind of activity is a non-problem. Or if it is, it is best to know about it and have appropriae repairs made before the next thunderstorm.

A side note on slide toppers: Some Safari & Beaver coaches of around 2000-2002 vintage had slide out roofs that were molded to provide water runoff and did not use toppers. The design worked well for water but only fair if there were leaves, branches, etc. on top.  I believe this sort of slide roof is no longer offered..

Ned said:
Why would you want to wax the top of the slideout?  Washing can be done easily with a hose and long handled brush, but the point of the cover is to keep the dirt off of it.  I don't think we've ever washed the top of our slideout.

I have never washed mine either.

I was 'visiting my motorhome' in storage this AM and looked at the top of the slideout. Its a driver's side on Newmar Dutch Star. Very interesting to see after several years its reasonably clean!!!

Also its pretty accessable from the inside and could be cleaned with short handle mop and/or vacuum if you desired.

So those seals are pretty effective in brushing it clean as it is retracted.

Bob

I washed mind a couple of time with Protect All, but don't think is was nor is necessary.

Dirt accumulates on top of our slideouts over time, so I've occasionally "washed" them  using a damp towel on a long squeegee or wrapped around a brush. Ignoring the dirt will eventually damage the seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom