Axle Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cic317

Hello,
Time to pick the collective brains here
Have a 2018 RB21 Funfinder, rear axel is badly bent, both sides, front axel slightly bent on right side- inner tire wear . I believe this was caused by a combination of load, sharp turns to get into parking area.
Plan on changing both axels, would like to upgrade from the OEM 3500lb units w/ 5 lug 4.5" pattern. Upon looking it seem the next step up is 5200lb w/ 6 lug 5.5" pattern . Is this to much, will it result in a harsh ride?
I had hoped to reuse springs & wheels, but it looks like I need to move to larger rims. Possible to reuse existing springs?
Any other things to watch or check before moving forward?
Thanks

Attachments

• trailer axel.jpg
    trailer axel.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 6
On our single axle trailer, I changed the 3500lb axle (along with springs,wheels, from 5-lug to 6-lug) to a 6000lb one. It wasn't bent but I didn't like the low CC capacity. Leaf springs are a little stiffer obviously. Once you change wheels to bigger ones you have to make sure spacing in the wheel well is Ok.

You realize that axles are suppose to be bent. The middle should be bent up. That way when you put a load on it, it will straighten out.
Also if you do change them out, make sure you have enough clearance in the wheel wells otherwise they’ll rub on every bump.

You realize that axles are suppose to be bent. The middle should be bent up. That way when you put a load on it, it will straighten out.
Also if you do change them out, make sure you have enough clearance in the wheel wells otherwise they’ll rub on every bump.
Yes camber on tube, but tire riding on inside edge to point of wearing tread drastically is a problem. I guess the proper term would be bend spindles. Are there any guideline to what can be swapped? I guess if I start with measurements from hub center point and workout?

I had my axles aligned at a place called Tampa Springs in Lakeland FL several years ago. It was unbelievable how far out they were. They bent the axle tube here and there to get them aligned again. What a difference it made.

I just had them done on my new tri axle not only were they way out but the bearings all had to be repacked and this is a new 4 month old unit.

Look at my thread "Questionslble"

Have tried local shops, nobody wants to try aligning. So I'm heading to replacement
The place I went to manufactured leaf springs and mounted them on tractor trailer trucks. I think they primarily work on big trucks but they did do alignment of RV axles. Try looking for one of them

The heavier axles will be fine, just reuse the old springs or get new springs of about the same wt capacity as the old ones. Nothing wrong with having good sturdy axles. Yes, if you go to 6 lug you will need new wheels, less than $500 for good Sendel alloy wheels. I kept my 3500 lb axles and changed the hubs to 6 lug when I was replacing the wheels. Someday I may replace the axles.

I think the 4000 lb axles are basically a thick tube version of the 3500, as the bearings and seals are the same, and when you get to the 4400 lb axles the outer bearing finally changes, and then on the 5200 lb axle the inner bearing jumps up to a larger one.

All trailer wheels are zero offset so if you specify the spring spacing and hub outer surface (wheel mount point spacing) the same as the old ones, you will not have clearance issues.

Charles

This thread that you replied to was 10 months old
So? Is there a problem with that? I just found I may have a problem so instead of asking a question and being told “there are already threads on that” I made a comment, but thanks for your observation!

So? Is there a problem with that? I just found I may have a problem so instead of asking a question and being told “there are already threads on that” I made a comment, but thanks for your observation!
On this forum no one will ever tell you there are already threads on that. Usually it will be better to start your own post. Some posts are very long and by starting your own post, we wouldn’t have to read the long posts to get to yours.

Last edited:
So then I guess there IS a problem that I replied to an old thread....at least in some opinions, sorry!! And yes I HAVE been informed to use search as something has been discussed before!!

So then I guess there IS a problem that I replied to an old thread..
I believe that they are wondering what problem you have as they might be able to offer advice if they knew what the problem is? Guessing that it is an axle problem, but what sort of problem? Bearings, bent, alignment, ..........

What problem do you have? I did not see anything in your post about a problem.
I don't feel I must explain myself to you.....what were you a trial lawyer??
I believe that they are wondering what problem you have as they might be able to offer advice if they knew what the problem is? Guessing that it is an axle problem, but what sort of problem? Bearings, bent, alignment, ..........
Thank you Kirk for trying to help. New 2022 CAMEO 5th wheel. Have learned a lesson with this...NEVER buy new!! LOL Its been one thing after another. Problem, and it seems others have had the same problem. Thread has been a great help to me. To be honest I didn't notice...or really care that its an older thread.
It sounds maybe I need to get the bend in the axel checked. Tires are wearing considerable more on rear axel mostly, although some on the front axel on the very outside, both sides off the trailer. I believe the air pressure is good, I will ck again. I know it was when I started the trip, its sat for a month now so it seems if there was a slight leak they would be way down now. Plus I know it CAN happen but kinda unusual for two tires on same axel to have the same slight leak.
At first I wondered if the axel was crooked but it seems it would wear inside on one side, outside on the other. At least that's how it works on an 18 wheeler trailer. I am considering having the tires flipped over on the wheel to get them to last longer, they are by no means worn to the danger point....yet! Thanks again Kirk!
Oh also I need to try to find a scale that I can weigh one axel then the other or both to see how the weight distribution is. Loved the 5th wheel but with all the storage up front it is hard to distribute it the way I'd like. With the equalizing suspension the theory, as you know is that it is distributed evenly between the axels...maybe it is.

There are several possibilities that come to mind but I do think that getting axle weights is a good idea and if possible, get individual wheel weights as well. I think that most CAT scales can give you the axle weights but for individual wheel weights you need someone like the Escapees Smart Weigh or the RV-SEF weighing program. In addition to weight distribution issues you might have an alignment problem or an axle problem. A good tire shop might be able to advise you by looking at the wear patterns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom