B.C.,Alberta, Alaska Info Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NTXFLTMR

We are spending the winter in Sunnyvale Tx. one of the small suburbs of Dallas. I retired from Dallas Area Rapid Transit ( DART ). My wife retired from The Dallas County Auditors. We have made 1 long trip thus far of 55 days last August in our motorhome and then we decided to trade it for the 5vr. We will make our next trip in July to Br. Columbia; Alberta; and Alaska. We would appreciate all the replies that you have from people that have made the trip. Were not sure where to go on the way up there and on the way back. Suggestions would be appreciated.

David C.

Welcome to the RV Forum!? Several of our Forum members have made that trip, so you should get some good insights in the days to come.

In the meantime have a look at Bob Howen's RV Travel Videos.website.? Bob and and Judy Howen are professional film makers who happen to be RVers and have produced a series of wonderful RV travel videos.? Included in their selection are RV Travel in Western Canada? and Alaska by RV.

In addition to an itinerary, they show points of interest, campground facilities and tips on travel to the regions the video covers.

NTXFLTMR said:
We will make our next trip in July to Br. Columbia; Alberta; and Alaska. We would appreciate all the replies that you have from people that have made the trip. Were not sure where to go on the way up there and on the way back. Suggestions would be appreciated.

David C.

David,

Welcome to the Forum.

The very first thing you need to get is a copy of the Milepost. You can order it direct or buy it from most any large bookstore. It is the bible for northern travel.

The next thing to remember is that the Alcan Highway and the roads in Alaska are excellent 45 to 50 mph roads. If you try to drive them at lower 48 speeds you'll just tear up you 5er. Besides, you want to be going slow enough to see the scenery.

Have fun, it's a great trip.

David

Click here to read about the Alaska trip made by Don & Betty Jordan. One caveat - it's a long article, but is good reading. Enjoy.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

The first question is how long is your trip?  People usually underestimate the huge distances involved and the shear amount of scenery and towns to visit.  3-4 months is not a long time for the vast area you have described.

By the way, you can't get to Alaska proper unless you add the Yukon to your itineray or plan on a long ferry ride on th Alaska Marine Highway.  You can get to a bit of the Alaskan panhandle from BC, though, via the town of Stewart, BC.

recommend my route of 3 yrs ago: up the Alcan to the Yukon; further up to Dawson City; into AK at Chicken; back down to Alcan>Fairbanks>Denali>Kenai>Valdez>Yukon.

Was in AK from June 1 till end of July. Met up with Gary Brinck at Haines for 3 days as they were entering AK.

Went south on the Casair and viewed bears feeding on salmon at Hyder. Do this stop in August.

That year was great for little rain, few mosquitos and warm weather.

Go slow, give yourself plenty of time. I did not need reservations in June/July, but from the vast hordes of RVs heading in as I was leaving, you may need them in Aug.

My suggestion is to do EITHER BC/Albert OR Alaska but not attempt both if you do not start until July.  Just too much to see and its a shame to rush through it.  The Canadian national parks  that run from Banff to Jasper on the Alberta/BC border are worth a couple weeks by themelves. The Vancouver city area and Vancouver Island should be another 7-10 days, even for a quick trip.  Then maybe several days for the route from Prince George to Prine Rupert.  I am personally fond of the Cassiar Highway route to the Alcan and a stop for at least a few days in Stewart(BC) and Hyder(AK) to see the bears feeding on salmon and to experience life in these tiny, remote towns  where the national border is a line on a map but irrelevent to the community.

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I forgot to include in my post that we will be doing most of our trip with Alaskan RV discovery tours Co. that is run by Spike Fortier. It sounds like a great tour and it includes a lot of the places that you have mentioned. We will be going into the yukon also and I didn't mention that. I would still like to have replies from everyone about places that we should try and see on the way up there. Thanks again.

David C.

Does your tour start in Dawson Creek?  If so, consider touring Banff and Jasper (Canadian Rockies National Parks) before heading there. Allow a couple extra weeks.

David,

Yes indeed BC and AB is worth a trip by itself. Without rushing through these pace you will need a good 2 months just for Vancouver Island, going from Vancouver city to Jasper, Banff, Calgary, the Fraser and Thompson valleys, going just North of the USA border West to East or vice versa, the road to Whistler, Kootenay Nat Park, Revelstoke. Of course one could rush through in a few days but visiting is taking time to smell the roses and not beating distances.

Roger  ;) or  :p

Back
Top Bottom