Back up camera Help and solar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDaddyD1

Hello again,
Just bought a 2018 Tracer Breeze 26DBS on Tuesday and of course we have to get all the goodies. My question is what in vehicle system can I get that will work with a prewired trailer? My tow vehicle is a 2017 1500 Silverado that doesn't have a backup camera system. I asked the tech at Chesaco RV and they tried to sell me a $500 furrion system. All I need is the screen for the truck and how I would sync it to the trailer.

Also any info on the prewired solar system? Is there a certain panel that I need or does "one size fit all"?

I'll post some pics when I get the on the computer.

The only reason I have a backup camera on my rig is to help hook up the boat. Is there a reason that you need a camera on the trailer instead of just the truck?

All I need is the screen for the truck and how I would sync it to the trailer.

Ummm.. No!! you need the "system". As to a "pre-wired" trailer, I don't know what that means in the context of a camera system. But there are two types of camera systems generally available, a wireless system and one which requires a cable between the screen and the camera, both to power the camera and transmit the picture to the screen. In this case power would have to come from the trailer

This is one good source and they are very helpful according to others who have called them.

http://www.rvcams.com/

I suggest that if you are a little bit handy, you NOT go to an RV dealer as you will pay through the nose at $100-125 an hour that most charge for labour + the markup on the equipment. There are many sources available for equipment. Google is your friend.

cerd said:
The only reason I have a backup camera on my rig is to help hook up the boat. Is there a reason that you need a camera on the trailer instead of just the truck?
I like to be able to see behind me and it is already wired up so why not.

Alfa38User said:
Ummm.. No!! you need the "system". As to a "pre-wired" trailer, I don't know what that means in the context of a camera system. But there are two types of camera systems generally available, a wireless system and one which requires a cable between the screen and the camera, both to power the camera and transmit the picture to the screen. In this case power would have to come from the trailer

This is one good source and they are very helpful according to others who have called them.

http://www.rvcams.com/

I suggest that if you are a little bit handy, you NOT go to an RV dealer as you will pay through the nose at $100-125 an hour that most charge for labour + the markup on the equipment. There are many sources available for equipment. Google is your friend.
I already has the camera on the back of the rig.

BigDaddyD1 said:
I like to be able to see behind me and it is already wired up so why not.

A backup camera on a travel trailer has limited value, and great potential to get you into trouble.

While driving, a camera on the rear of a trailer has zero functionality. You need to use your mirrors to see what's beside you and coming up behind you. The camera won't show that, and is only a distraction.

While backing up, the camera won't show obstacles once you've passed them. This means that the entire length of the trailer and tow vehicle have potential to hit something that you can no longer see in the camera.

A good set of towing mirrors is a better investment than a camera system. Cameras can be of limited use, as long as the limitations are understood.

BigDaddyD1 said:

Knowing the brand and model of said camera might get you some better ideas. That said, much of the operation is probably controlled from the screen itself through powering it up from the vehicle and turning it off and on and using the backup switch function or another source of steady power. Camera power could be controlled from the back up lights if equipped on the trailer. Regardless you will likely require another umbilical cord from the tow vehicle for the video portion unless it is a wireless version.

BigDaddyD1 said:

What model of camera is it on the trailer? My Salem Cruise Lite came prewired with a Furion mount, so they were pushing the Furion system for it at about $400. The benefit is that it will bolt right on, and plug right in for power.

Is the currently installed camera a wireless, or wired camera?
I would think that you can go to the manufacturer of the camera and buy the correct corresponding head unit for in the vehicle. This (to me anyway) would be the easiest option, as I am sure they all have their own proprietary connections between the camera and head unit. If you go with a different brand screen then you might end up having to get a new camera as well to work with it.

I can definitely see the benefit from having a camera on the back of your rig. I am looking at options for ours that will bolt onto the furrion mount. I am sure with all the options out there that someone is using a camera with the same bolt pattern/mount style, for a little cheaper price.

HappyWanderer said:
A backup camera on a travel trailer has limited value, and great potential to get you into trouble.

While driving, a camera on the rear of a trailer has zero functionality. You need to use your mirrors to see what's beside you and coming up behind you. The camera won't show that, and is only a distraction.

While backing up, the camera won't show obstacles once you've passed them. This means that the entire length of the trailer and tow vehicle have potential to hit something that you can no longer see in the camera.

A good set of towing mirrors is a better investment than a camera system. Cameras can be of limited use, as long as the limitations are understood.

I beg to differ...my backup camera on my rig (42 ft FW) is a great help when passing.  If I can see the car in my rear view camera, I know it's OK to return to the lane.  Hard to tell from mirrors if the guy is trying to crowd you.  You use mirrors AND camera when backing.  Mirrors do no good if something is inside the sides of the trailer.  If something might be directly behind, use the camera.  Not all of us are fortunate enough to have a "spotter" to help.

Meternerd, how fast do you drive that you actually PASS people??  ::)  I do not remember ever doing that with the FW attached!

As for the camera, it is clearly a nice to have, not a requirement for most folks.  It only shows you where you have been and can be a distraction.  Good mirrors provide more vital current information about your surroundings and other vehicles.

If you travel alone or drive fast, then it becomes more necessary.

grashley said:
Meternerd, how fast do you drive that you actually PASS people??  ::)  I do not remember ever doing that with the FW attached!

As for the camera, it is clearly a nice to have, not a requirement for most folks.  It only shows you where you have been and can be a distraction.  Good mirrors provide more vital current information about your surroundings and other vehicles.

If you travel alone or drive fast, then it becomes more necessary.

You mean you don't normally go ten MPH over the speed limit......just to temp to cops?

I'll have to confess that after I put on the G rated LT tires, I do go faster.  I can still pass a semi going 25 up a grade.  The passing lane is just too tempting....but I do try to get out of the passing lane ASAP.  Guess I'm just a fan of seeing what's behind me.  "To each his own, said the man who kissed his cow!"

My 5er came prepped for the Furrion system. I bought the camera and head unit as a set (FOS48TAPK-BL) from e-trailer for about $360 delivered. Looking at the box as I type this.  8) Haven't installed it yet. I bought it to see behind the camper while parking and to hook up my boat. I don't have the luxury of a spotter most of the time when I go tournament fishing.

Oddly enough I have passed people on the intestate and needed to know IF I cleared them or not. Always that one little ol' lady doing 15 under the speed limit through town.

As for looking at it while driving, been numerous times where I can't see the vehicle behind me with my mirrors. I can see there shadow, but not them. Hang it from the rearview mirror, your not using it anyway, and it's natural to look at it when you want to see what's behind you.

The recommendation to get the same brand as your camera is a good one, provided they still sell the matching head unit.

I have a wired Voyager camera from rvcams.com on my cargo trailer in my profile pic.  I also bought from them sockets and a umbilical to get it across the hitch and then wired it up to a CTS Edge digital gauge (it has a RCA video input).  The CTS knows when the truck is in reverse, so no screwing around with figuring out the power off of the back up lights.  If you want the video on not in reverse, it can be turned on there as well.  I rarely use it when I'm driving, but constantly when backing as I don't feel like walking the 50+ feet back to check that I'm not backing into something that the mirrors can't find

BigDaddyD1 said:
Hello again,
Just bought a 2018 Tracer Breeze 26DBS on Tuesday and of course we have to get all the goodies. My question is what in vehicle system can I get that will work with a prewired trailer? My tow vehicle is a 2017 1500 Silverado that doesn't have a backup camera system. I asked the tech at Chesaco RV and they tried to sell me a $500 furrion system. All I need is the screen for the truck and how I would sync it to the trailer.

Also any info on the prewired solar system? Is there a certain panel that I need or does "one size fit all"?

I'll post some pics when I get the on the computer.

I see that your question about solar didn't get answered in this thread. May I suggest that you start another one in the Solar child section of the Tech Talk section?

I added this Yuwei wireless system to my 5th wheel:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wireless-Waterproof-Reversing-Horse-trailer/dp/B071WW8Q8M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1538758515&sr=8-3&keywords=yuwei+wireless+backup+camera

Great image, no distortion. Very limited issues with signal interruption. Super quick 15 minute install.

Forget what all the old school "mirror" drivers say, the camera gives you additional information that makes it safer for everyone, even if you have the Biggest, widest tow mirrors available.

But if you have a wireless furion camera installed on you camper, just get the matching furion screen.

TimbrSS said:
Forget what all the old school "mirror" drivers say, the camera gives you additional information that makes it safer for everyone, even if you have the Biggest, widest tow mirrors available.

Maybe us old school guys actually know how to use mirrors.

HappyWanderer said:
Maybe us old school guys actually know how to use mirrors.

The situation with a 5'er and trailer may be different, but I use my mirrors and my blindspot mirror diligently. With 50 ft to the back of my dinghy it is very difficult to judge at that distance with mirror alone when you are really past the vehicle you are passing, but my rear camera makes this trivial.  On the other hand side mirrors seem to be virtually useless.

Yes, a motorhome with a toad is an entirely different story. I can't even see my toad in the mirrors, except on sharp corners.

However, a motorhome without a toad and while pulling a trailer... everything you need to see is right there in your mirrors.

We have the Furrion backup camera we got for our TT and hubby loves having it. Going down the road, I t gives him a good visual for behind the TT about 100 feet, I believe. We spot each other when backing up the TT and don?t rely on the camera for that. It?s been nice for us.

Back
Top Bottom