Back up camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1carguy

I've got a 37' long Jayco FW and store it where it's pretty tricky to back into, especially by myself. I've been thinking of installing a multi camera back-up cam system that has one in the back, and one on each side. That way I could see on my blind side when backing into my space without getting out of the truck 2-3 times. I want to go wireless to avoid having to run wires all over. Does anyone use a multi cam system? Any recommendations for a brand or model that provides a decent image?
I also thought it might be useful as a security system. I could take the monitor inside the RV at night and if noises were heard outside, just flip on the porch lights and look at the monitor to see what's going on.

Didn't know they made em that can see the sides as well. Hope you get some good info because I'd like to do this as well.

I too am searching for a wireless rear view camera, probably without side cameras but perhaps that would be useful. Undecided if I have space in the cab for a 7" monitor, might go 5

This is something I am contemplating as well since my RV will be in the same size range as what you describe.

I recently had a trailer stolen from a property I don't live at so I went looking for security cameras and ended up getting the Wyze cams.

They run around $30 for the camera and SD card to record and are fantastic. Drawback: they are not weatherproof so when I find a solution for that I will install a few on the trailer and have a wireless router or hub in my trailer. I could theoretically connect to that from my phone and see the live feed in the cab of my truck when backing so this could work.

That's what I have and I can do all the maneuvering by myself, I highly recommend it. I have a camera on each sode mirror and one in the back.

This is what I have and am very happy with it. They also have one with a 7" screen. It claims a 492' wireless range.
It also will support up to 4 cameras on the 5" and 7" systems.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera/Furrion/FOS05TASF.html

Gizmo100 said:
This is what I have and am very happy with it. They also have one with a 7" screen. It claims a 492' wireless range.
It also will support up to 4 cameras on the 5" and 7" systems.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera/Furrion/FOS05TASF.html
Nice set up but that's a little too pricey for me. We got a big RV show here next month so I'll look around for something that might work for me. 

1carguy said:
I've got a 37' long Jayco FW and store it where it's pretty tricky to back into, especially by myself. I've been thinking of installing a multi camera back-up cam system that has one in the back, and one on each side. That way I could see on my blind side when backing into my space without getting out of the truck 2-3 times. I want to go wireless to avoid having to run wires all over. Does anyone use a multi cam system? Any recommendations for a brand or model that provides a decent image?
I also thought it might be useful as a security system. I could take the monitor inside the RV at night and if noises were heard outside, just flip on the porch lights and look at the monitor to see what's going on.

I have several GoPro cameras that I use for other projects and I can mount one or more of them on the rear or side of the coach, turn on the GoPro's wifi and connect to it with either an Android or Apple phone/tablet and see what the camera sees. Especially useful when the GoPro is set to it's "wide" mode as the field of view takes in a lot of area.

Works great. Of course the downside being you have to have a GoPro camera however you can find used GoPro 3s on sites like eBay for under $30 and they would work just fine.

I have the Yuwei wireless system off amazon. Less than $200. Install was less than 1/2 hour. Works perfect. Great picture day and night, never any dropouts. I added some elastic straps to the monitor and actually just mount it over the rear view mirror of the truck while I have the 5th attached, which works better than a suction cup or dash mount for the monitor, and also makes it so you don't loose any forward vision.  The rear view camera is on at all times and is an asset while driving down the highway. I went with the Yuwei system because it has the the ability for up to 4 channels of cameras to be used. I thought I'd want the side cameras, but the rear camera helps with 90% of the vision I was missing. I doubt I'll ever add extra side view cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wireless-Waterproof-Reversing-Horse-trailer/dp/B071WW8Q8M/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1547671588&sr=1-5&keywords=yuwei+wireless+backup+camera

Based upon TimbrSS's comments I purchased the Yuwei over another system I had picked out for about half the amount, very glad I did. I went with the 5" monitor. Instantly paired, very sharp picture. Camera seems very sturdy, all metal construction. Thanks for the review, very helpful.  :))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom