Backed into garage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They may not total it because you said it was $71000 new. Then how much did it depreciate the minute you drove it off the lot. Good luck.
the way it works with total losses is: cost of original appraisal,+ potential increase of cost after disassembly,(or as we call it tear-down), + SALVAGE VALUE. So the initial estimate is $41,000...we generally assume at least an additional 20% supplement cost, that brings it to almost $50,000...then they put the unit out to bid on salvage auction site, they may get $25,000...voila! Total-Loss.

generally speaking, if a total loss vehicle was purchased BRAND NEW in the current year of the loss, they should be paying you exactly what you paid, including sales tax. There should be NO depreciation of value,(unless there is prior damage, but in your case there isn't so you should be good).

My ego has been put back in to check.

Just catching up to this thread... and I've seen worse damage in the trucking industry, lol. Trucks all torn up, wagons made into convertibles under low bridges, the usual mishaps, 10-4? I know I've "kissed the dock" pretty hard a time or two, once my wagon left an impression where it struck the building... and I've tweaked a few chain-link fences in drop lots in my time, lol. Meh, remember my personal slogan for trucking: "ANY DAY YOU DON'T KILL A WAGONLOAD OF KIDS IS A GOOD DAY!!!" Property damage sucks, and so does dealing with insurance reps or adjustors, but at least nobody got hurt. That's the most important thing, I reckon...

One of these days, I'll post up some wreck shots from my "trucking daze"---then ya won't feel so bad, Bigdog. I have quite a few wreck shots, I used to hang a 35mm automatic camera out my window and photograph wrecks as I eased past... there were some doozies too, made the damage in this thread look minor, lol. I know that doesn't offer much consolation, OP, but it does put things into perspective. Hope the insurance outfit doesn't jack you around, that's a pretty large investment you've made... maybe not to the rich swells at this site, but certainly to me. BTW, whenever I sprayed that slogan of mine over the CB, I said it in such a way that it sounded like I occasionally killed a wagonload of kids, lol.

Just catching up to this thread... and I've seen worse damage in the trucking industry, lol. Trucks all torn up, wagons made into convertibles under low bridges, the usual mishaps, 10-4? I know I've "kissed the dock" pretty hard a time or two, once my wagon left an impression where it struck the building... and I've tweaked a few chain-link fences in drop lots in my time, lol. Meh, remember my personal slogan for trucking: "ANY DAY YOU DON'T KILL A WAGONLOAD OF KIDS IS A GOOD DAY!!!" Property damage sucks, and so does dealing with insurance reps or adjustors, but at least nobody got hurt. That's the most important thing, I reckon...

One of these days, I'll post up some wreck shots from my "trucking daze"---then ya won't feel so bad, Bigdog. I have quite a few wreck shots, I used to hang a 35mm automatic camera out my window and photograph wrecks as I eased past... there were some doozies too, made the damage in this thread look minor, lol. I know that doesn't offer much consolation, OP, but it does put things into perspective. Hope the insurance outfit doesn't jack you around, that's a pretty large investment you've made... maybe not to the rich swells at this site, but certainly to me. BTW, whenever I sprayed that slogan of mine over the CB, I said it in such a way that it sounded like I occasionally killed a wagonload of kids, lol.
Thanks brother. It was a huge investment for us. That being said, the insurance company seems like they are going to hook us up pretty good. supposedly A third party will be helping us buy the next one for the same comparable price + 20%. We’ll see how it works out. We went and cleaned all of our stuff out yesterday. we were heartbroken and can’t wait to try this again. We’ll keep you posted.

generally speaking, if a total loss vehicle was purchased BRAND NEW in the current year of the loss, they should be paying you exactly what you paid, including sales tax. There should be NO depreciation of value,(unless there is prior damage, but in your case there isn't so you should be good).
It sounds like progressive is going to go above and beyond. We’ll see.

Okay here is the latest. Progressive insurance paid out $93,800.00. For the payoff and down payment on a new unit. I only owed $70,500. I would highly recommend progressive. I am now looking for a 2021 unit to purchase less than $110,000.00. Biggest issue now is trying to find a new unit comparable to our last one. Not having much luck.

BTW. Thanks for all of the encouragement and insight. it did help in the long run. Progressive insurance is highly recommended. I will pay the extra for the same kind of service.

You could head up to Tennessee and check out this one.

I dont have the luxury to travel around the country. Plus there is a third party holding our down payment. Thanks tho. We are looking for a classA now,for safety reasons. The Alante 29S is what we really want.

So, what would happen if you just decided you would rather stop rving and not buy another one?

Would they give you that down payment money?

Interesting to me.

So, you have 11,500 plus 20% which is 16,400 for a total of 27,900 to put on a new motorhome?

Lol. No. I paid total for old RV $82,000. My payoff was $70,500. If I don’t buy a new RV the insurance company gives me $82,000. I use that to payoff $70,500 loan and keep the rest for myself. BUT, I had total replacement insurance, If I decide to get another RV( which we have decided that) they give us what we paid plus up to 20% more to purchase a new one. So, they gave me 92,500 - my deductible of 1,000. With that I paid off the old loan. That leaves me the remainder for a down payment on the new RV. If I find one cheaper that 92,500. I would give the remainder back to the ins company. I third party is holding the down payment until I find the RV we want. But it has to be new.
did I confuse everyone? I am confused myself.lol

Lol. No. I paid total for old RV $82,000. My payoff was $70,500. If I don’t buy a new RV the insurance company gives me $82,000. I use that to payoff $70,500 loan and keep the rest for myself. BUT, I had total replacement insurance, If I decide to get another RV( which we have decided that) they give us what we paid plus up to 20% more to purchase a new one. So, they gave me 92,500 - my deductible of 1,000. With that I paid off the old loan. That leaves me the remainder for a down payment on the new RV. If I find one cheaper that 92,500. I would give the remainder back to the ins company. I third party is holding the down payment until I find the RV we want. But it has to be new.
did I confuse everyone? I am confused myself.lol
So we will have $21,000 for down payment

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom