Backsplash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungfamily

Thinking of removing the wallpaper border in the bathroom and putting up the self adhesive backsplash tiles that are at Home Depot or Lowes.
Two questions -
Should I remove the border or put it over the border ...and....very curious how long these will actually stay on the wall.  We live in southwest FL - in the summer, it bakes in the camper - wondering just how well adhesive will hold up.  Our previous 5th wheel all the border was coming off the walls and curling at the tops and bottom due to the heat. I just don't want a big mess down the road....literally!
thanks in advance

The problem is that sticking anything to wallpaper IMO is not going to hold long especially during traveling vibration.  Even the small stick on hooks eventually will pull the wallpaper away from the board behind it. 

So IMO either remove the paneling or i suppose its possible to prep it in a way that your stick on tiles will stick to the backboard and not the skin in enough places (especially corners) that it will hold up.  Im not sure if scratching the skin will work you may have to peel the skin way in the corners. 

It really depends on the type of glue on the tiles.  You also have to consider if there is steam in the bathroom, that too could cause it to come apart.  You may have to use some kind of additional type glue to really get it to hold.

When i tried to put up some pushbutton lights around here and there, they would not stick to the paneling, they all fell off after a day, poor glue i suppose. 

my wife put some of those tiles in the kitchen area and, they look great but, they do let loose some and we have to rub them back tight. They went over the wallpaper board that she scrubbed down per instructions. I'm thinking the heat has something to do with it as it gets over 90 in there during the day all closed up

Attachments

• IMG_20180530_29264.jpg
    IMG_20180530_29264.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 71
Most of the "wallpaper" in RVs is actually prefinished wood panels, with the "wallpaper" bonded to the panel at the wallboard factory.  It's not something a guy on the RV assembly line slathered on.  Unless it's really cheap stuff, the covering is not likely to come loose from the backer, so it's probably ok to apply over it.

Realistically, any covering near the sink and stove has to be pretty well adhered or the moisture will soon cause separation.

looks great, nice job to both..

I would like to put some kind of backsplash around my kitchen sink because water gets everywhere but mine is one of those that sticks out in the floor and there is no wall around it.  I thought about getting some tile blocks 1" thick x 12" long x 3" wide and glueing them to the countertop around the sink but i dont know how they would hold up with just glue.  I would probably have to drill holes in the countertop and also holes in the block and use strong screws along with the glue.  Its such a pain because i end up with water all over the countertop behind the sink.

This image is not mine but it looks alot like my setup, so how do you put a backspash on this.

Attachments

• kitchensink.jpg
    kitchensink.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 59
You might think about getting some close matching color Corian or other solid surface material about 2 1/2" -3" wide (tall) and glue that with a super glue or epoxy, that will hold pretty well on laminate. If you can't find something close in color you can contrast it.

That came out beautiful.  Exactly what I had in mind.  Just not sure in the FL summers how well it would hold up.  It has got to be over a 100 degrees with it shut up! Thanks for sharing.

theyoungfamily said:
That came out beautiful.  Exactly what I had in mind.  Just not sure in the FL summers how well it would hold up.  It has got to be over a 100 degrees with it shut up! Thanks for sharing.
yea, that kind of heat might be a problem, we will see if that's the actual cause for some of these letting go, once she gets cooking on the cook top there in the corner. There are thinner glass or other types of backsplash options out there but, we just didn't want to spend the money, might wish we would have down the road :-[

Here is an idea just in case it comes off in the heat. 

What about covering it up with clear plastic. You could screw the plastic to the wall which would hold the tiles in place and also allow you to see them through the plastic.  Plus easy cleanup.    You might even try some slightly smoked plastic so it looks more asthetic.

We live in Arizona and it definitely gets hot here.  We used the glue on tiles from Lowes.  We did remove the border that was peeling back and removed any loose wall paper.  We haven't had any issues.  It took between 4 and 6 hours to complete the work.  Some before and after pictures. 

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 38
mhhorowi said:
We live in Arizona and it definitely gets hot here.  We used the glue on tiles from Lowes.  We did remove the border that was peeling back and removed any loose wall paper.  We haven't had any issues.  It took between 4 and 6 hours to complete the work.  Some before and after pictures.

Looks great! Fresh update and more modern. Nice!

Thanks.  Sometimes you just need an update :).  The tiles are pricey but sometimes they are on sale.  They also sell them on Amazon.  They are certainly light-weight and repairing an issue is straightforward. They are also heat resistant, which makes using them near the stove possible.  We are definitely pleased with that project. 

Originally I put up those peel and stick tiles, the ones that are made of a vinyl.  Didn't stay up in any kind of heat.  Took it all down and put up the ones that are made of metal.  They haven't moved in 3 years.  The adhesive on the back is much, much stronger than what is on the back of the vinyl tiles and IMHO the metal ones look better.  I put them in my kitchen and in my bathroom.  They come in many styles and colours, check HomeDepot and Lowes.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Inoxia-SpeedTiles-Linox-11-88-in-x-12-in-Self-Adhesive-Decorative-Wall-Tile-in-Stainless-Steel-USID811-1/206643376

mhhorowi said:
Thanks.  Sometimes you just need an update :).  The tiles are pricey but sometimes they are on sale.  They also sell them on Amazon.  They are certainly light-weight and repairing an issue is straightforward. They are also heat resistant, which makes using them near the stove possible.  We are definitely pleased with that project.

Are the tiles already grouted or did you have to do it?

Rene T said:
Are the tiles already grouted or did you have to do it?

The "grout" is built in.  There basically a vinyl line between each raised area that serves as the "grout". 

Deano2002 said:
here it is complete

Very Nice ! 

Maybe some self grab construction adhesive ?  Locktite makes some that works very well, and I would bet it would withstand the heat of a closed up trailer.

mhhorowi said:
you say glue on meaning you applied glue to them or peel and stick?

mhhorowi said:
They are peel and stick.

Here's a link to the product at Lowes.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Stick-Mosaics-4-pack-Verona-Beige-Linear-Composite-Wall-Tile-Common-10-in-x-10-in-Actual-10-in-x-9-7-in/1000204483

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom