Backup Alarm - Yay or Nay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the kind of drivers I'm worried about. It does not take much for someone in a rush to loose control of the vehicle, trying to squeeze where there's physically no space, and cause an accident.
I put one on for a friend but also installed a switch that could prevent it from operating. He only used it in places that he didn't have anyone to act as a ground guide behind while he was backing in.

Our Travel Supreme has one, and it was loud. I felt bad the few times we were backing up in a campground. The diesel engine is loud enough. Not only that but when I was spotting, and that was going off, DH had a hard time hearing me. But I didn't want to disconnect it, kind of liked the idea of it. So after getting opinions on this forum, we put tape over it to mute it. Much better & if anyone hears it they "recognize" it. I like the idea of having a reset switch though.

ABSOLUTELY NO!

I have a mirror that allows me to see down the right side. I have another mirror that allows me to see down the left side. I have a camera that allows me to see directly behind me. I don’t want - or need - a backup alarm or a spotter.

The only time I ever hit something when backing up was the one time I used a spotter. Someone was trying to “help” me back out of a spot, and to be polite I followed his directions. I watched him instead of my own mirrors and camera, and hit something. Never again.

I have one that I installed with a switch so I can shut it off. Hooked the hot wire to the backup lights wire and ran a ground wire to the dash area where I have the switch and another wire to ground for the other terminal on the switch. So I'm turning the ground on and off not the hot wire.

Thank you all again for your input!

I decided to go ahead and install a basic alarm, controlled by a remote 12V ON/OFF switch, which I can operate from the cabin.

I managed to do a pre-installation test of the wiring and it seems to work well. I'll update once I have it installed.

Back
Top Bottom