Backup camera for 5th wheel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveMoo11

Hi all!
I recently purchased a 5th wheel trailer that is half camper, half livestock trailer-we show our goats throughout the region and this combines us into 1 vehicle instead of hauling our tow behind livestock trailer and camper on separate trucks! It is my first 5th wheel trailer and it is quite large compared to what I am used to-32 feet long and over 7 feet in height. I am practicing but haven't taken any major trips yet-hoping in a couple weeks. I am wondering about backup cameras to put on the back of the trailer itself-not so much to use when backing up, but really for situational awareness and seeing what is behind me (I am thinking this will be especially important on the interstate). I have noticed when I am out practicing that if someone gets right behind me, I can't see them. Wireless is definitely key, since it is not for the truck itself and the receiver will be in the truck. I drive a Chevy 2500 HD if that makes a difference, and I have replaced the original bed with a flatbed. I would prefer something with its own screen, as I generally use my phone for navigation (the truck is a 2007 so it predates Bluetooth) and I don't want to be toggling back and forth. Thank you very much for your recommendations!

Coming from a x TT driver, don't worry about whats behind you. If they ram into you, its their fault. Stay focused on front and sides. Your trailer goes where you go! Plus keep your distance for stopping in case you have to lock it up. Make dam sure your trailer brakes are set correctly. Cheaper to replace the trailer brakes than your truck brake pads. I keep might high to grab quick.

Goose neck or 5'er...same-same as far as towing.
I have a wireless bought from Amazon for less than $100 that the camera is mount at the center clearance light and the 4" monitor on my dash. Worked so good that I ordered another one and mounted the camera in my 23' boat.
It's nice to see who's behind tailgating and especially when changing lanes.

IMG_4045.jpg

Goose neck or 5'er...same-same as far as towing.
I have a wireless bought from Amazon for less than $100 that the camera is mount at the center clearance light and the 4" monitor on my dash. Worked so good that I ordered another one and mounted the camera in my 23' boat.
It's nice to see who's behind tailgating and especially when changing lanes.

View attachment 147897
Thanks. Do you happen to have a link or remember the brand?

I bought it on Amazon but see it's currently unavailable.
Do an Amazon search using, "Wireless Rear Camera".

Here's what I bought.
Amazon.com: HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera High-Speed Observation System for RVs/Trucks/Campers/Pickups/Trailers with 5''Monitor Rear/Front View IP69K Waterproof Super Night Vision R15: Car Electronics

HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera High-Speed Observation System for RVs/Trucks/Campers/Pickups/Trailers with 5''Monitor Rear/Front View IP69K Waterproof Super Night Vision R15​

I have had my FW camper for almost four years without a backup camera and find no need to add one. At first, I thought it would be useful. It is would be one more gadget on the dash distracting my attention from the road. As Beracatrp said, if they are behind you, it's THEIR problem. Side mirrors allow safe lane changes, which do not matter if someone is behind you.

You don't want just a backup camera. Look for an observation camera. They have a longer range. Some are also available with a remote antenna that can be mounted closer to your tow vehicle.

I put a Furrion camera on my 5th wheel because that is what it was prewired for. As far as something right behind me goes, it doesn't make much difference, but it really is helpful when passing and being able to judge the room you have to cut back into the right lane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom