Backup Cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mississippiriverguy

I recently purchased a Class A 2008 Hurricane. It has a BW backup camera. Has anyone ever updated to a color camera? Would the cost be prohibitive? Can it be done? TIA David

I installed a color backup camera system in my previous motorhome as it had no camera at all.
My current coach has the factory installed black and white system with the large monitor hanging from the overhead.
I actually like the black and white better than the color system I had on the other coach because it's got a clearer picture.
My Jeep is black and concrete road surfaces appear as gray. That's about all I see in the monitor unless I'm trying to back into a campsite, so I don't really see the need for a color camera.

Check out tadibrothers.com I was happy with the system I got from them. Just don't see the need to spend the cash until this b&w system dies.

Ah, heck, now you want me to remember back 7 or 8 years :unsure:. I think I paid in the vicinity of $300 for the system. It only had one wireless camera and the monitor. It wasn't the cheapest they offered, and it wasn't the highest price one either.

You can get a plug in play color system for the Voyager system. There are some on the Voyager website (Voyager) or on the tadibrothers.com website. Our 2006 Hurricane has the Voyager VOM-78 system. Going to wait a bit before we upgrade ours to a color unit and possibly install side cameras and upgrade the rear camera.

Received this info from ASA (makers of the Voyager products) - about retrofitting our VOM-78 unit.

The extension cables that run through the coach for the rear and side cameras can be used still - no need to run new wire. The monitor can be replaced but if you use the existing cameras and they are black and white, the image will be in black and white. There are adapters needed when replacing - that part is OCA85E.

Our friends at RV Cams specialize in retrofitting older systems with new. Please reach out to them at 877-378-2267 and they will be able to help with the new install of either the monitor, cameras or both.

Last edited:
Received this info from ASA (makers of the Voyager products) - about retrofitting our VOM-78 unit.

The extension cables that run through the coach for the rear and side cameras can be used still - no need to run new wire. The monitor can be replaced but if you use the existing cameras and they are black and white, the image will be in black and white. There are adapters needed when replacing - that part is OCA85E.

Our friends at RV Cams specialize in retrofitting older systems with new. Please reach out to them at 877-378-2267 and they will be able to help with the new install of either the monitor, cameras or both.
Thanks for the great info!

If your current system is Weldex it can be upgraded to color. You'll need a color monitor and camera. You may also need a mounting adapter.
Muddy, I've probably got the same sytem in my 05 Pace Arrow. Are you saying that the old wiring will work and all you needed to do is buy a new camera and monitor? If so what did you buy? If not, what else did you have to do?

Oh man! I've been asleep for a long time!

I replaced the Weldex CRT (tube) with a flat LCD display. It came with an adapter to hang it from the old CRT bracket. I painted the adapter black.

The new display worked with the old camera but really wasn't that good so I bought a color camera. The weird thing was that the image had to be flipped horizontally with the new camera.

The signal cables are the weak link. I had to replace mine. After that the system works for about a year before I had to tinker with it to get it working.

I got everything from these guys: https://www.rvcams.com/

I don't think I get the point of side cameras. If I had just a backup camera I think I would be more than satisfied.

I purchased the Dohones digital wireless backup camera kit for my 30-foot travel trailer. This setup is really a great value for the money and such a helpful tool backing up. I have 2 cameras, both on the rear. One is pointed down to get a good view of the bumper and help judge how close I am to objects behind me. The other is pointed back to get a good view of traffic behind me while driving. It is very convenient to be able to swap between the two without needing to have a separate monitor. We have not taken it on the road yet but I believe it will make the next camping trip much easier to park and back up.

There are lots of affordable colorful backup cameras on the market, such as the Haloview RD 7, budget-friendly enough. The wireless camera will be easier to install. We can finish it by ourselves. Have a try and you will find a new world!

Anyone remember what the rear view monitor that was shaped like a rear view mirror and attached to same?

I think you're referring to the wireless mirror dash cam backup camera, which acts as a mirror and attaches to the mirror. There are brands on the market that have such cameras!​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom