Backward tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltex

This unit pulled in by us at Rockwell RV park in Oklahoma City last week.  I spoke to the lady (her husband was busy hooking up to the utilities) saying that I hadn't seen anyone pull backwards before, and how does it pull?  Her response was that because it was front wheel drive they had to pull it with the rear wheels on the dolly, and it towed very well. This was their first trip in the new rig.  Does this make any sense?

Attachments

• Backwards_tow.jpg
    Backwards_tow.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 65
Robert,

Surely that has to be a rear wheel drive car for the reverse tow to make sense  ???

Robert,

Doesn't make sense. Why would you tow a front-wheel drive with the fronts down? Seems to be defeating the purpose of the dolly. Maybe it was their first (and possibly last) time with the car too! Or maybe the MH motor was dead and the car was pushing it! ;D ;D ;D

Do you know what make/model car that is?

The last 3 MH's we've had, we've always used a tow dolly to tow our Lincolns backdwards until we bought this enclosed 24' carhauler. ?Still have the dolly, Just don;t use it anymore. We;ve probably pulled them a total of 90,000 miles that way.
They tow great, mostly a little off center, due to the steering locks. ?Sure a pain if you over shoot your goal and have to back up. Could see the things going 3 or 4 different ways at once. No way to tow a front wheel drive that way.

Shayne,

Are you saying that the Lincolns were all rear wheel drive?

I have to agree with the crowd here, Drive wheels on the dolly, "Free" wheels on the ground.

Or use a nice REMCO product and make all the wheels free like I do and forget the dolly, much easier to hook/unhook

Tom said:
Do you know what make/model car that is?

Tom,

That appears to be a Chevy Tracker. It must be a 2 wheel drive which is a rear drive train. Therefore they would have to tow it backwards.

Thanks Jim. That makes sense and would explain the tow orientation.

No Tom, But all Lincon Town Cars are    Sorry for not stateing it correctly.

It's definitely a Chevy Tracker, the 2 door model and probably a 2WD version. They are rear wheel drive and thus need the rear drive wheels on the dolly.

"Backwards" is the standard mode for towing rear drive cars, but so many cars are front drive these days that you don't see it much any more.

Shayne said:
No Tom, But all Lincon Town Cars are

Thanks for clarification Shayne. One reason I was confused was that some years ago I had a Lincoln Continental and IIRC it was front wheel drive.

Back
Top Bottom