Bad First Experience....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RatherBFishin

Hi Everyone,

We just had our first trip out in our recently purchased older Starcraft pop-up camper  :( We left Friday and came back Sunday evening. Here's how it all started: We were going to purchase my brother inlaws, 1987 Jeep Cherokee w/ tow package ( instead of putting a hitch on my 1995 Ford Windstar ). Anyway, the air conditioner went out in the Jeep part way down to the beach ( Rehobeth, Delaware ) and then the Jeep started to over heat, hose blew and we were stuck on the highway. After 2 1/2 hrs and help from a nice mechanic on his way to his vacation w/ wife and kids, we got the parts to fix the Jeep. We're driving alittle further and Jeep starts to over heat again, so we have to drive the rest of way with th heat blasting to keep the engine cool. We get to the campsite ( Holly Lake Campground ) and everything was fine. Ate, dropped the kids off with mother-inlaw and went back to camp w/ father-inlaw and nephew. Chartered a bay fishing trip for Flounder next morning so had to get some sleep. All night two drunk guys singing, yelling and playing music loud, baby crying and Emu's ( petting Zoo onsite ) making niose everytime a car passed by. 2 hrs. of sleep :(  Caught one sea rock ( yes a rock w/ sea urchins and all ) and some unrecognizable fish ( even stumped the Captain and Mate ). Got off boat and we're in search of a storage place to for the pop-up because we can't tow it back to Pennsylvania without breaking down. Found one ( Cheap 35.00 a month ). Got back to kids, ate and went back to campground. Next day was good ( Sunday ), dropped off pop-up, went crabing and swimming and started home. Jeep starts to over heat ( thank god we desided to leave at 7:30 pm, not soooooo HOT! ), drove ALL the way back home with heater on. AND that folks is my story...LOL! Oh did I forget to mention that when I called the campground to see if they had eletric hook-up they assured me that they did....but failed to mention that it was for a 220 line and my RV takes a 110, so we have no, fans, lights, toaster or anything else for that matter.

I've learned alot this first trip. We've already made reservations to stay at Treasure Beach RV Park from Aug. 11th-14th. And YES I asked plenty of questions  ;) We're having a tow package put on my Windstar next week and we're getting another cellphone ( hubby left ours on work truck and someone loaded a skid on it *CRUSH*.

Thanks for letting me vent...LOL!

RBF

RBF

Sorry to hear about your first trip experience. Reminded me of an okd Buick station wagon I used to tow with. Overheating was a way of life for this car and we used to time our trips to go over the hills either early in the morning or late at night. Any other time and overheating was a certainty.

Oh did I forget to mention that when I called the campground to see if they had eletric hook-up they assured me that they did....but failed to mention that it was for a 220 line and my RV takes a 110, so we have no, fans, lights, toaster or anything else for that matter.

220!!? What was that campground, a refuge for diehard Brits?? That is the British standard voltage.? ?I have never seen a CG in the US with anything except 120VAC service, or for that matter an RV with anything but 120VAC circuitry.? ? Could you have mistaken the service outlets for 220 service.? ?RV 30amp and 50amp circuits have special three prong and foor prong plugs.? But they are nevertheless 120VAC circuits.? I suspect you may have a standard 15 amp three prong plug on your power cord.? Simply buying an 15amp/30amp plug adapter in an RV store will cure your problem.  Plugging a 15amp load into a 30amp service is not a problem -- other than the plug adapter. 

Of course, if the campground told you that the circuits were 220VAC, one should believe them -- and never camp there again

You know... I was surprised recently when I found a campground WITH 50 amp,240 volt service

They make adapters that will tap 110 volt off that outlet for you at eitere 30 or 15/20 amps, Any camping store should have them,this includes the campstore where you parked... COmplain to management about that.

Sorry about the jeep, Sounds like it needs a new radiator or a good rodding out

Carl Lundquist said:
220!!  What was that campground, a refuge for diehard Brits?  That is the British standard voltage.

Amost, but not quite Carl. Their standard voltage is 240V RMS at 50Hz.

I have never seen a CG in the US with anything except 120VAC service, or for that matter an RV with anything but 120VAC circuitry. 

You have led a sheltered life, Carl.  :)  Standard 50A service in campgrounds is 220V and RVs with 50A plugs are designed to work with it. And some high end motorhomes do indeed require 220V because they have things like electric stoves and ovens.  Park model Rvs may also require 220V/50A service for the same reason.

RV Roamer said:
You have led a sheltered life, Carl.? :)? Standard 50A service in campgrounds is 220V and RVs with 50A plugs are designed to work with it. And some high end motorhomes do indeed require 220V because they have things like electric stoves and ovens.? Park model Rvs may also require 220V/50A service for the same reason.

Evidently, however, it still surprises me that a park would have only 240VAC service.

Carl Lundquist said:
it still surprises me that a park would have only 240VAC service.

Carl,

A long time ago I stayed in a park in Pendelton, OR that had only 50 amp outlets and I had a small Class C with a 30 amp cord.  That resulted in the purchase of my very first power cord adapter.    That adapter has remained unused for more than 20 years.  :mad:

Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom