Baking Fresh Homemade Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

How's the best way to bake fresh homemade pizza in an RV?  All frozen pizza is a poor substitute for anyone who has ever enjoyed homemade yeast dough pizza with fresh ingredients and baked in a 500 degree oven.

Can this be simulated in an RV setting?

Steve said:
How's the best way to bake fresh homemade pizza in an RV??

I recently discovered a Jiffy mix called Pizza mix.  It comes in a little box and you  only add water.  We  used a Pampered chef pizza stone and made a vegetarian pizza on it.  It makes a very thin crust and we  loved the results. used a jar pizza sauce .  Yummm.

BB

Betty,

I believe it was Chef Boyardee who had a pizza in a box many years ago, but the dough was very hard to work with. It was very sticky and hard to spread evenly; forget even trying to 'toss' it. Is Jiffy pizza mix better?

Ron,

Couldn't agree more! Dijorno, IMHO, makes the best frozen pizza and now they have thin crust varieties that are square and fit in the freezer much easier than the round ones. Tried Freschetta (sp?) but found the sauce to be too acidic. Betty, you may want to try the chicken and spinach variety - very tasty.

I can't tell you about making it..

But J.C.Whittney (A company that just loves to send out both electronic and paper catalogs) features a 12VCD pizza oven

I wonder if the 12VDC pizza oven is designed for de thawing frozen pizza?  If I am not mistaken, pizza is usually baked at 450 to 500 degrees!  Has anyone ever tried baking pizza in a BBQ?

I just got a copy of yet another cookbook,  Beter Homes & Garden's grill cookbook

It does list pizza pans among grill accessories (Grill pizza pans are religous, yup, they done got religion, you can tell cause they are HOLEY so the ...... Well you get the idea,)  Also useful for grilling selected other foods which might fall through the regular grilln(per the book)

Karl said:
I believe it was Chef Boyardee who had a pizza in a box many years ago, but the dough was very hard to work with. It was very sticky and hard to spread evenly; forget even trying to 'toss' it. Is Jiffy pizza mix better?
Karl,
The Jiffy mix was sticky at first then I added lots of flour to the board and to my hands.  This is not a good boondocking recipe.  The pizza dough had to  raise a bit too so it is not a hurry up meal.  Frozen pizza's may be the way to go but it was fun for a couple of times on a long rainy day.

Betty

Gotcha, Betty. :) Thanks! Thought I was losing it there for a moment (not that I'm discounting that possibility).

Steve,
A pizza brick or pizza stone is nothing more than a flat piece of fired clay, usually about 1/2" thick. You put this on the oven rack and preheat it along with the oven, then put your pizza on it to bake. Serves to distribute the heat evenly and you end up with a nicely done pizza and crust, and no burned-on sauce or cheese to clean up from the oven. Truth be known, I like an electric oven for pizza 'cause you can turn on the broiler element for a few minutes to brown the cheese. Or you could use Betty's Creme Broulle torch ;D

Grilled pizza is wonderful!  Get some dough or make your own, roll it to desired shape, spray on some olive oil.  Put on grill oil side down and cover.  Let it go about 4 minutes, then oil top and flip it.  Now put your sauce, cheese etc on and cover.  Another 5 minutes or so.  Just be careful setting it down first time, sometimes an edge will get between wires on the rack.  I suppose the accessory someone wrote about would tame this portion, but  it is not much of a problem.

Have all stuff for the pizza prepped and ready! 

Steve said:
Would you elaborate on what is a pizza brick and how it is used?

I usually hear it called a pizza stone... It's a large flat stone, (I'm not sure what stone but soapstone should work) that you cook the pizza on instead of or in addition to a pizza pan.  This thing heats up very nice and evenly and insures consistant cooking, doing away with hot spots that would otherwise ruin you creation. 

I have seen them... never used one though

You can go to Home Depot and buy an unglazed 12 inch saltillo tile...basically a clay pizza stone.  Except most people mortar it into floors and patios. 

Merry

Right!  Pizza stones are unglazed tile.  I've also used fireplace liner brick, but unglazed tile is better.  If you plan to use it in an RV convection oven, buy a commercially made round pizza stone at one of the kitchen supply stores found in factory outlets for about $10.

Back
Top Bottom