Balance Beads, Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We put new tires on our coach about 18 months ago and used the beads all the way around. They’ve worked great and so far have had no problems. We’ve traveled from Florida to Montana and back with the beads and no drivability problems at all.
Scott,Orlando

Are beads recommended for pick up trucks or a car?
Yes, that's where they were introduced, smaller packets than truck tires though. Every tire balanced with beads require the special valve cores that have a filter to prevent beads/dust from getting into the core and causing an air leak.

After I had my fronts done I immediately returned to the Goodyear (truck and bus) shop and told them the balance was super bad. I was getting a lot of shaking at 50 mph on the freeway and was concerned to go faster. He explained they needed to settle in.

I got back on the freeway for the 40 mile drive home and pushed up to 70. By the time I got to the exit for my house they were fine and have been fine ever since.
This is exactly my experience. At 50 the coach was really shaking. On the drive home it did improve quite a bit but not completely. Chuck

After I had my fronts done I immediately returned to the Goodyear (truck and bus) shop and told them the balance was super bad. I was getting a lot of shaking at 50 mph on the freeway and was concerned to go faster. He explained they needed to settle in.
They don't actually settle in (or anywhere), but on large tires they just toss in a bag or two of the beads and expect that driving will cause the bags to break open and let the beads scatter to do their thing. Once in awhile the bag may not break right away. Until that happens, there is no balancing action. Might even make it worse.

They have work great in my motorcycle tires. When I have to add air I make sure that the valve stem is not in the bottom so that if there are any of the beads near the valve they don't block the valve and cause it to leak. At times, I have experienced this. after replacing several valves I landed on this technique when having to add air.

Another point of view.

Tire warranty is important for most people. A more than 50% average of tire manufacturers will void any warranty coverages where balancing beads have been used.

Another point of view.

Tire warranty is important for most people. A more than 50% average of tire manufacturers will void any warranty coverages where balancing beads have been used.
Can you name some of the tire manufactures that void warranty with some type of Documation

Whatacrock.. In the old days folks were trying everything from BBs to golf balls and warranty was a problem.. That was a long long time ago before the present day systems..>>>Dan

Last edited:
I have read the full warranty info on my present Goodyear G670 RV tires and on the Toyo tires I put on the previous coach - nothing about beads.

I think that's a misinterpretation. They will void the warranty if you try to use some ersatz "foreign material" as a dynamic balance medium, e.g. golf balls, beach sand, Styrofoam pellets, and various liquids (antifreeze, vegetable oil, etc). People have tried using all sorts of stuff rather than buy the beads made for the application, unsurprisingly resulting in tire damage. I don't believe that any manufacturer disapproves of balancing products such as Equal, Dynabeads. EZTirebeads, etc. Most heavy duty tire shops use them and the warranties are not affected..

Last edited:
I think this thread has drifted off into tire warranty and that was not my question. Please stick to the topic. How have others found them to perform? Chuck

Every time you start the engine, the beads must balance the tire. This means the first few miles of EVERY trip you feel the imbalance.

That IMO is the only downside to Dyna Beads. I've never read of any tire mfgr. warranty mentioning balancing beads.
Beadlocks OTOH will void a Michelin tire warranty.

I've received a lot of good information. Not sure where you got I'm not satisfied. I just don't want my thread hijacked. If that's a problem, don't respond.
Tried to provide useful information. Chuck says I failed. After 2 pages he still isn't satisfied.

Every time you start the engine, the beads must balance the tire. This means the first few miles of EVERY trip you feel the imbalance.
It's speed (tire rpms), not miles that affects dynamic balance beads. The beads rely on centrifugal force to distribute the beads, so every time you stop moving the beads fall to the bottom of the tire and balance is temporarily "lost". Then the beads spread out again as you pick up speed. But tire balance is irrelevant when stopped or even very low speeds - you could drive at 3 mph all day long on a badly out-of-balance tire and never know it, but a few seconds at 25 mph would surely be be felt (and seen if watching from along side).

Back
Top Bottom