Banks v/s Gibson exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

I can find price quotes for the Gibson exhaust/headers/system but can't seem to get a Banks quote without a purchase order.? Can anyone provide a ball park figure for a system for the ford 460 - F53 combination?? ?Performance comparisons would be welcome as well as price comparison.? thanks in advance.
lou

Lou,

I did some price checking last year and IIRC, it was around $2700 w/o installation. Rep said install would be around $750. Went with a Walker system specifically for the F53/460 combo for around $400 and installed it myself in a day. Stock headers, but full 3" all the way back. Significant gain in h.p., so I will be adding the Banks TransCommand to help protect the tranny.

Karl,

By "stock headers" do you mean you reused your existing exhaust manafolds?  New ones?  Or, are they actually added headers?

Also on the other thread (about the added batteries) I'll send or post some pictures and details when I can. 
lou

Lou,

I should have said 'stock manifolds'; the original ones that came with the 460. There is a known problem with them shearing manifold bolts and I have that problem right now, but I can't see shelling out the money for headers when the largest gains will be gotten by just eliminating the restrictions of the stock exhaust system - from the downpipe back.

Pictures would be great!
Karl

Banks has two packages for the F53/460,  the full Power-Pack (manifolds, intake, pipes, muffler & cat, Transcommand) and a Stinger kit with intake, muffler and exhaust only.  I think you have to call Banks sales department to get a quote for a direct purchase - (800) 438-7693.  The $2700 + install for the Power Pack might be a bit high - mine was $2400 installed  but that was 10 years ago and install labor was cheap  in my area at the time (about $50/hour).

I found some parts prices online at www.proficientperformance.com

Here are  header only prices:  http://www.proficientperformance.co...ry_Code=banks_torq_tube_exh_manifold_ford_7-5

And here's a Power Pack labeled for a 1993 F53/460 at "only" $1750 (but the kit description is for a Cummins 5.9):
http://www.proficientperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BKS-49091&Category_Code=&Store_Code=PP

Thanks Karl and Gary,

Since I currently have a small (sure to get worse) exhaust leak now, I think I'll go for new headers as well as exhaust relief.

The transcommand looks to be a good additional option .

Karl, if/when you install it, please post any installation problems or tips.? ?
thanks, lou

Lou,

I downloaded the instrall. manual and it looks to be pretty straightforward. Unscrew a cover plate on the tranny, remove a couple of connector pins from the original connector, replace with the TransCommand wires, mount the unit (2 screws), and you're all set. If you get the full kit from Banks, it includes the TransCommand.

Gary,

I'm sure you meant this, but just to avoid any confusuion, the 'intake' is a replacement air cleaner/scoop kit; not the intake manifold itself.

That's gotta be for the diesel. Fine print under the picture says "Image is a representation. Actual part may very (sic)"

Actually it even looks [to me] like the diesel kit. It's only the title that says 1993 Ford motorhome.  I agree it is probably incorrectly identified and the diesel kit is priced lower than the gas Power Pack.

And oh yeah, I did indeed mean "intake" to be a generic for the scoop, air cleaner, etc. and not an intake manifold.

Camping World installed the Banks on our Pace. I received a quote over the phone from the Bolingbrook, IL C/W for complete job.

They have done many installs and mine  worked perfectly for the four years and 38,000 miles we owned the coach. I had two busted head bolts they drilled out at a chearge of 80.00.

I installed the entire Banks System and the Transcommand unit on our 1996 Vectra, and could not have been more pleased by the results.?? ?:)?I highly recommend going the full treatment to include the HEADERS, as that is the only way to avoid blowing manifold gaskets, warping the factory cast iron manifolds, broken stud bolts, etc.? Those long exhaust tubes do a great job of getting the excessive heat away from the heads, not to mention the increase in torque.? I installed them 3 years ago and the system works as advertised! I bought directly from Banks...about $2,200 for the Power System and $250 for the Transcommand.
Now we are in the process of buying a pre-owned Monaco Diplomat (1999) with the Cummins ISB 275 Turbo (yes, Cummins has already replaced the defective cylinder block).....and guess what?? I'll be installing another Banks System...HP will go from 275 to 349 and torque from 600 lb-ft to 775 lb-ft! ;D

Back
Top Bottom