Base loaded 36" CB antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Looking for recommendations for a base loaded 3' CB antenna. I've always had good luck with Firestiks but way too much wind noise. Have one currently on a NGP RV mount and it's very noisy, as-is the mag mount one I used temporarily on the roof of my truck - had to move it to the bed for a recent long trip, very irritating.

This will be fender mounted near the windshield.

I didn't know people were still using CB radios...45 plus years ago I use to install them for my Dad's CB shop. Can't recommend anything because I'm sure everything has changed.

If I wanted to go digging though our stuff that's in storage I could probably find my old Cobra 29 radio with the K-40 Ant.

In-fact I think I still have my first CB radio a Johnson Black face.

When you say too noisy are you referring to wind noise or interference over the radio?

I didn't know people were still using CB radios...

It's not the "everybody has one" fad, but they still have their uses. Truckers, of course, still use them on the road, and many 4 wheeler groups use them to keep in touch when on the trail, just to name a couple of places they're still in use. In fact, most any truck stop has radios, antennas and accessories  for sale.

Looking for recommendations for a base loaded 3' CB antenna.

I googled for 'base loaded 36" CB antenna' and found a number of them. You didn't say what mount you want, whether mag, trunk, etc., but most any of them should work just fine.

I've seen them in the truck stops and I think even our Walmart has them. I was just surprised that someone would install one on a personal vehicle. But what you said makes sense.

The last time I turned one on was around 1996. My daughter was 2 and wanted to know what that man said....CB got turned off and I pop in a cassette... 

I use it for long distance drives, just an attempt to find out about potential issues up ahead.There have been a couple times I exited a freeway and used surface streets for a few miles to circumvent an accident I'd heard about on the CB.

Mount will be a truck specific fender bracket that uses existing bolt holes.

The noise I referred to is wind noise.

I had a 48" K40 many years ago; might consider a 36" version if there is one

Back2PA said:
The noise I referred to is wind noise.
I had a 48" K40 many years ago; might consider a 36" version if there is one

you Made me go look...LOL They have a K30...But it mag mount only

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2W270/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

The fire stick is a heilcially wound (not base loaded) far as I knwo.

When you complain of the noise.. RF or Wind?  WInd you can't fix. RF. well the better the antenna the more noise it will pick up.. (Also the more signal) Now there is a way to get rid of the noise but it costs as I recall 100 dollars and requires you use two antennas.. Cross polarized.  and a box that mixes them in such a way noise is cancelled.  Not sure how effective it would be for you as it's all MANUAL.

Better choice might be a "Clear Speak" type speaker. these have digital signal processing that can block much noise.. but again manual attention needed to completely clean it up.

John From Detroit said:
The fire stick is a heilcially wound (not base loaded) far as I knwo.

When you complain of the noise.. RF or Wind?  WInd you can't fix.

As I mentioned, it's wind noise, and a lot of it. Exactly why I'm looking for base load with metal whip

Larry N. said:
I googled for 'base loaded 36" CB antenna' and found a number of them. You didn't say what mount you want, whether mag, trunk, etc., but most any of them should work just fine.

Thanks Larry. I've been on Amazon as well, was hoping someone had some experience with one. Apparently it can be difficult to get SWR down on the base load vs. a wound mast like the Firestik.

Back2PA said:
Thanks Larry. I've been on Amazon as well, was hoping someone had some experience with one. Apparently it can be difficult to get SWR down on the base load vs. a wound mast like the Firestik.
A lot depends on where it's mounted, too. Ideal would be the center of a metal roof, with hood or trunk being next, but I've seen many mounted right next to the vehicle body, which can cause all kinds of performance problems. A base load needs to have a lot of clear space around the base to get much performance, since so much of the signal is generated there. So they're all tradeoffs, but it looks like you have already decided the location. I presume that the 36" requirement has to do with clearance problems somewhere.

Luck...

Larry N. said:
A lot depends on where it's mounted, too. Ideal would be the center of a metal roof, with hood or trunk being next, but I've seen many mounted right next to the vehicle body, which can cause all kinds of performance problems. A base load needs to have a lot of clear space around the base to get much performance, since so much of the signal is generated there. So they're all tradeoffs, but it looks like you have already decided the location. I presume that the 36" requirement has to do with clearance problems somewhere.

Luck...

Ya I know the chosen location is far less than ideal, but I'm not putting a hole in the roof and I don't want a temporary install (i.e., magnet mount with wire through door). So with that I'm kinda out of locations.

I was trying to keep the height at 3' simply due to the fact that my truck is tall enough as it is. Realistically though a taller antenna will just bend if I'm just going under a momentarily low spot, and I suppose if there was a parking garage or something similar I could just remove the mast. So I might do a 4 footer. Maybe a center load would be better?

That Firestik was whistling so bad on my last trip over the holidays (not towing) that I pulled over and moved it off the roof and stuck it on the fifth wheel hitch. On my previous truck I could hear the whistling unless I moved it to the extreme rear of the crew cab roof, then it was OK. But that truck had a camper lid so airflow was probably different over the roof.

The Firestik on my motorhome starts whistling at about 35MPH but once I get up to 55 or so there's just enough other wind noise that the whistling is largely masked.

https://www.wearecb.com/cb-antennas/
Have you looked at these guys I bought my firestick from them.

If you want to mount a good ant in the bed of your truck use a 102 inch whip.  It will work as good or better than any thing made to day. And don,t make wind noise . I build and install radio all the time Old C.Ber

snow bird said:
If you want to mount a good ant in the bed of your truck use a 102 inch whip.  It will work as good or better than any thing made to day. And don,t make wind noise . I build and install radio all the time Old C.Ber

Unfortunately that won't work towing a fifth wheel

You are mounting on a Fender.. Metal or fiberglass?  IF metal.. you have a ground plane.

Best option is a CB shop. there still are some. 2nd is a Good Size Truck stop.

I'm not a big fan of base loaded antennas so I can not advise other than this

Are you SURE it is the antenna that's making the wind noise?

John From Detroit said:
You are mounting on a Fender.. Metal or fiberglass?  IF metal.. you have a ground plane.

Are you SURE it is the antenna that's making the wind noise?

Metal fender.

Mount antenna on motorhome, immediate wind noise. Place mag mount on roof of truck #1, wind noise. Move antenna to rear of roof, less wind noise. Place mag mount on roof of truck #2, immediate wind noise. Move antenna to fifth wheel hitch, noise goes away. I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom