Based in Texas and new to the Forum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LivinLight

We are a waiting the arrival of our new Grand Design Solitude just in time to make it to Indiana to the National Rally. We won't have much time to check everything out between arrival of the new rig and departure for Indiana. Hoping it all goes well! Anyone else have a GD and going to the National Rally?

Welcome to the forum. Where in the United State of Texas do you hail from? If you have any questions, let us know. There is a lot of knowledge here...someone will have the answer. Again, welcome, and hope to see you down the road!

Thanks so much edjunior! We are Mike and Pamela and are currently in Pilot Point, Texas, northeast of Denton. I do have a question...how many miles do you typically put on your truck tires before replacing? Do you just go by the amount of tread? I think we are on the verge of needing new tires before we make this trip from Texas to Indiana. Mike says so, I just hate spending that much money right before a big trip. I do know it is best to be safe. I was just wondering what everyone else does?

Where is Roman Forest, TX?

Mileage on tires will vary a lot, depending on the specific tire model (thus its relative expected "tread life"), how it's driven (hot rod, Sunday-go-to-meeting), frequency of operation and maybe other conditions, but cars are generally in need of replacement with 2/32" of tread depth remaining, big trucks with 4/32" and assuming otherwise in good condition and haven't aged out (see below).

Typically RV trailer tires (5th wheel, Travel Trailer) should be replaced around the 5 year mark, and most motorhome tires around 7 years, given that RV tires rot from the inside because they don't usually see enough miles to wear the tread down, so they tend to age out.

So if Mike thinks they need replacement, chances are good that he's right. Safety and vehicle integrity suggest that you err on the side of caution, given the possible consequences.

It looks like you got the answer to your tires above. Sage advice. How many miles are on the tires?

I can't say as I've been to Pilot Point, but I have been to Denton a few times. I had a stepdad (bad person) who was from there. I can't really remember much about it. Anyway, Roman Forest is about 35 miles north of Houston. It's a small place, but really nice. Except for the taxes.

Anyway, good to have y'all aboard. Anymore questions, bring 'em on!

Welcome to the forum. We are from FW area but right now we are on a trip and in Freeport Maine now. If you have questions just ask there are a lot of experienced people hear.
If you have any doubts replace the tiers.
Bill

Welcome, my wife and I just recently moved from Midland, to Coleman. I still work in Midland, the Mrs is retired.

Mileage on tires will vary a lot, depending on the specific tire model (thus its relative expected "tread life"), how it's driven (hot rod, Sunday-go-to-meeting), frequency of operation and maybe other conditions, but cars are generally in need of replacement with 2/32" of tread depth remaining, big trucks with 4/32" and assuming otherwise in good condition and haven't aged out (see below).

Typically RV trailer tires (5th wheel, Travel Trailer) should be replaced around the 5 year mark, and most motorhome tires around 7 years, given that RV tires rot from the inside because they don't usually see enough miles to wear the tread down, so they tend to age out.

So if Mike thinks they need replacement, chances are good that he's right. Safety and vehicle integrity suggest that you err on the side of caution, given the possible consequences.
Thanks so much Larry. Makes perfect sense.

It looks like you got the answer to your tires above. Sage advice. How many miles are on the tires?

I can't say as I've been to Pilot Point, but I have been to Denton a few times. I had a stepdad (bad person) who was from there. I can't really remember much about it. Anyway, Roman Forest is about 35 miles north of Houston. It's a small place, but really nice. Except for the taxes.

Anyway, good to have y'all aboard. Anymore questions, bring 'em on!
Thanks Ed! It is good to be here! I think the tires have around 45K. Mike is taking it in for tires tomorrow.
We plan on making a trip down your way a little later in the fall. Going to try and enjoy Galveston. Any advice on where to stay down there is much appreciated. I've been looking! Have a great day!

Welcome to the forum. We are from FW area but right now we are on a trip and in Freeport Maine now. If you have questions just ask there are a lot of experienced people hear.
If you have any doubts replace the tiers.
Bill
Thanks for the welcome and the advice Bill. Both are much appreciated! Have fun in Maine! Great place to be in summer I bet.

Thanks Ed! It is good to be here! I think the tires have around 45K. Mike is taking it in for tires tomorrow.
We plan on making a trip down your way a little later in the fall. Going to try and enjoy Galveston. Any advice on where to stay down there is much appreciated. I've been looking! Have a great day!
Sorry, I can't help you with Galveston. I stayed at Bolivar Peninsula when I was down that way, and Hurricane Ike destroyed that place in 2008. I never got back down that way. I went a lot of places in East Texas (and the Hill country when I lived in San Antonio). But someone will be along that can help. I've heard the State Park there is pretty nice.

Back
Top Bottom