Basement a/c capacitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste1148watt

RE: Itasca basement ac/heat pump.
Looking to replace capacitors #1499-573. Existing capacitors show 45uF +- 10%..... new ones 45uF +- 5%. Is this an issue? Thanks

I just replaced all 5 caps in the electrical box, even though the originals were only 24 years old. Be advised, if you don't buy Mallory replacements, other brands have a larger physical size and may not fit in the limited space in the electrical box; look before leaping.
Tried the system and the indoor fan cap requires replacement too. Shucks, gotta pull the basement unit out, gotta find help, at 80 I'm not trying it by myself. (had both shoulders broken)

I have a while to go to hit 80 but I'm finding that I need help with some physical activities (I have two new knee joints and a new shoulder joint.)

The number two compressor on my basement air needed to be replaced so I pulled the unit and while it was out I replaced all of the capacitors (also the hard start relays) and relocated the condenser fan cap to where it could be replaced without pulling the unit. Talk about a brain-dead design :rolleyes:.

Had time to do a bit of testing today John; fan motor is running very slowly. Could still be a bad cap, motor or dry shaft bushings dragging after sitting for a year unused. When the indoor fan motor starts, the initial surge is 3A, then falls to running amp-draw is 1 amp. That leads me to suspect the shaft bushings.
The service manual makes it clear how to follow the trouble-shooting tree.
I was inspecting the mechanics of removing the unit and it appears the unit cannot drop straight down or it will hit the outside metal framework that protects the 6535 from damage, plus that framework is where the dress grill attaches to the MH at the bottom.

More inspecting in the future when I get time. It's a good project for a rainy day, but no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. Owning a hobby farm, isn't a hobby @ 80 it's work. Dr. wants me to have shoulder replacements, I said nope, just keep giving me those cortizone shots every 4 months to ease the pain and I'm good.

I bought a lift table to use for removing/working on/installing the basement AC - thank goodness. It was the right tool for that job and I've found the table very handy once in a while. I also used it when I replaced the coach water heater.

My condenser fan bearings seemed fine but I oiled them via the little orifice. Duner (Bill) replaced his with ball bearing pillow block, I considered that but decided enough was enough as far as rehabbing the unit.

As far as the shoulder - I'm very happy I had my joint replaced but therapy was painful and a lot of work but after a year or so I couldn't tell it apart from my still good one. So that was a total success.

I have a while to go to hit 80 but I'm finding that I need help with some physical activities (I have two new knee joints and a new shoulder joint.)

The number two compressor on my basement air needed to be replaced so I pulled the unit and while it was out I replaced all of the capacitors (also the hard start relays) and relocated the condenser fan cap to where it could be replaced without pulling the unit. Talk about a brain-dead design :rolleyes:.
I can hardly wait…

I bought a lift table to use for removing/working on/installing the basement AC - thank goodness. It was the right tool for that job and I've found the table very handy once in a while. I also used it when I replaced the coach water heater.

My condenser fan bearings seemed fine but I oiled them via the little orifice. Duner (Bill) replaced his with ball bearing pillow block, I considered that but decided enough was enough as far as rehabbing the unit.

As far as the shoulder - I'm very happy I had my joint replaced but therapy was painful and a lot of work but after a year or so I couldn't tell it apart from my still good one. So that was a total success.
I wound up buying a hyd. lift table from Harbor Freight ($250) pulled out my 6535-871, and the IDFM was good(indoor fan motor). Went back and retested the 12V thermostat via the service manual and this time found the 12V>120VAC relay is bad for the IDFM. Got a new PC board on order. Meanttime I'll try to find a replacement relay at local electronics shops.
If I find a new relay I'll repair the old PC board for a spare.

This is the complete repair parts list for the 6535 RVP basement unit; including capacitor listing.

Good on you buying a lift table! I used ours a couple of weeks ago which made a difficult project easy.

Jameco and Mouser are two good sources for electronic parts, there's another major parts house but the name escapes me. Jameco focuses more on the electronics hobbyist and Mouser leans towards industrial users but I've used both.

Still playing with my 6535. New board, and 'stat installed, still no IDFM/indoor fan motor running.
Today I made a jumper cord for 120VAC, removed the IDFM low speed wire from the board, attached the jumper cord to it, then the neutral side of the cord to the neutral bus for the 6535 and left the cap wires attached. Plugged in the jumper and the IDFM hummed just like before. Tested the new cap and it's within limits.
Now I have 2 new compressor relays on order from Digi-Key, $10.69 ea. compared to $48 everywhere else.
Now I'm stumped, what could be preventing the motor from running? I had it tested at the local electric motor sales and service, they said it was good.

Ray - can you swap motors (not physically) for testing?
I found and corrected my mistake, one cap wire on the wrong terminal. What tripped me up was the RVP color-code vs the wiring instructions for the new PC board. RVP used yellow wire for compressor #2 neutral, but the Coleman Mach instructions denoted white for the ground, like Comp. #1 had Then of course W uses yellow wire for 12V+___.
facepalm.gif

The unit runs great now after the tune-up, even pulls 2A less than before, after running for 30 min. yesterday.
The new caps made a huge difference in fan speeds, the difference between low and high IDFM speeds is quite noticeable now.

Back
Top Bottom