Basic impressions and things I have learned about Motor Homes in a couple months - For those Brand New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiercel

If you have had a Motor Home for a couple of months, you already know all of this.

I am almost 72. I grew up driving farm equipment of every description, including logging rigs from the age of twelve. I worked driving a straight truck for three years as an adult. The first thing I noticed when I looked at this Class C is how much vehicle sticks out beyond the rear wheels. It looked weird, but I dismissed it. Instead, I should have pondered the significance this has.

What I did not consider is the effect of having the pivot point of the rear axel that far forward. It makes it very easy to turn corners without encroaching on the opposing traffic lane, but it has a trade-off. When turning, it swishes your tail end around like a Brontosaurus (I am old enough to have seen a few). The second time I drove this class C, I parked close to some upright guard poles at a gas station. The poles were near the passenger side, further back than my rear axel. As I pulled out, I had to turn hard left. Fortunately, I had a car in front of me and was going no more than 4 miles an hour. The rear swung far more than I instinctively expected and made contact. The damage was only some cosmetic paint from the post transferred to the rear storage door. It actually buffed out, but it taught me a VALUABLE lesson I won't forget.

RVs take a LOT of maintenance. You have to be a DIY person or set aside a significant budget. I bought an old one from a family member but no matter the age, inspect caulk at every seam every few months. If you see a tiny crack that looks closed and too tight for water to get in, YOU ARE WRONG! It needs to be recaulked. Water is starting to destroy your RV. Ignoring it is like ignoring the early warning signs of cancer as far as the RV is concerned. There are many other maintenance issues, but you are in a constant battle against water, driving at full hurricane strength against seams undergoing earthquake strength movement.

RVs are so space-efficient that every inch is accounted for. Layouts and size vary, but there is little room (in the living space) for additions like a vacuum cleaner, ironing boards, a suitcase, even any significant food storage (close to the kitchen).

No matter what you first think or even "second think," your stuff is going to move around far more than you ever imagined. Bottles will turn over. Tall things will get tossed with significant force that will surprise you. The higher they are stored, the harder they will get tossed. The further they are from the pivot point of the rear axle, the harder they will get tossed.

I am sure I have lots more to learn. I am convinced there could be a Bachelor's Degree offed for RVing.

Cheers!

Last edited:
What I did not consider is the effect of having the pivot point of the rear axel that far forward.
The subject is the wheelbase ratio and it is much discussed in motorized RV circles. It is also far more involved than just the vehicle track. I suggest that you read this article.
I am sure I have lots more to learn.
I am sure that you do. A lot of it is in the various RV forums and there are also several websites that have posted maintenance check lists if you do an internet search. I suggest that you take the time to read several of them. There are also places that you can go to learn more such as the Escapees RV Club RV boot camp course. Another option would be to visit the Escapees Online University and take a few courses there.

Rare is the Class A that has less than 50% wheelbase ratio and 51-53% is common. However, they can still have a long rear overhang, especially the gas chassis models in the lowest price tier. RV builders too often skimp on the chassis size to keep the price down.

Longer Class C coaches, however, may get down to 45% wheelbase ratio AND have a long rear overhang too. The longest Ford E450 van cutaway chassis is 176", so a Class C of 29 ft or more will be 50% or less in wheelbase ratio. That's one of several technical reasons to avoid a long conventional C. If you need a 29+ foot coach in the "C" style, make it a Super-C, i.e. built on a larger medium truck chassis rather than a van cutaway.

We just took our first trip in our 32' Class C. Standing back and looking at the length was very intimidating to me. Once I got behind the wheel I felt very comfortable. All total I've got 700 miles behind the wheel. The only thing I've got to figure out is looking down the passenger side using the side mirrors I can't get a solid feeling where the rear corner of the RV is. Looking down the driver side I can see exactly where that rear corner is. The only thing I think might be screwing me up is the folded up awning mechanism is blocking my view of the RV corner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom