Bass boat replacement cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
When the original cover for my Tracker Pro Team 185 bass boat gave up, Chris made a new one using her pro/industrial sewing equipment. This cover has lasted may more years than the original. I'm now trying to find a replacement online, and keep running into issues such as:

- Covers don't extend to the outboard motor, resulting in the ability for rain to enter at the stern of the boat (our winter rains blow directly at the stern of the boat).

- Most covers don't provide for a bow-mounted trolling motor. Chris provided extra space to accommodate the trolling motor, and also added protection for the cover from the trolling motor blades.

- Prices range from $100-$200 to $800+, but there's no assurance that the higher-priced covers will do what I need.

Meanwhile I have an alternator issue (need replacement stator), but I can manage this for the time the boat is on the water.

I keep thinking I should just buy a replacement boat. But, at $30K-$40K, that's an expensive cover and alternator.

Here in the midwest, we have custom boat covers made as the norm. Pull it to see your kids in OH for the holidays, drop off passing through. This place is top notch. You probably have something as well close by ;)
Thanks. I've had custom covers made for small boats locally, and might need to resort to that, but price here will be $$$ high.

I have been happy with this brand, off the shelf on a center console. It comes with or without a motor cover. I do assist the cover with a support frame and forward bow arrangement over the front deck.

shrink it
Not a bad idea, except for long term you get a lot of mildew and dampness that attacks the interior. A lot of people thats close to their stored boats have a flap created inside their shrink wrap and will open it on any good days.

They sell vents that slit into the shrink wrap and provide cross ventilation and keep water out, been shrinking my 31' for 23 years.
1664977691676.png

Attachments

• 1664977646821.png
    1664977646821.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
I have been happy with this brand, off the shelf on a center console. It comes with or without a motor cover. I do assist the cover with a support frame and forward bow arrangement over the front deck.

Thanks. When I looked at them previously, I missed the fact that they offer a "sewn-in" OB motor option. Front and rear pedestal seats perform the same function as support poles.

Oh, I thought you were discussing winter storage.
Sorry I didn't make it clear in my first post. The boat lives full time on a hydrohoist behind the house. When I want to go fishing, I exit the patio door, walk down a ramp (trying to beat the dog to the bottom), and hit a button to launch the boat.

The berth has a full-time cover that inhibits sun and 'vertical' rain. But, some times of the year, wind and rain come horizontally towards the stern of the boat. Most boat covers I've tried don't come low enough at the stern to keep those rains out.

Can you rotate the boat on the lift? Then the rain would hit the bow.
Not easily; I had the hoist & berth reconfigured to specifically point in this direction. In any event, it would require me to reverse the direction of the boat when the winds change direction.

Not easily; I had the hoist & berth reconfigured to specifically point in this direction. In any event, it would require me to reverse the direction of the boat when the winds change direction.
The only other option is to make sure your bildge pump is working and have a very strong battery. Maybe two of each

The only other option is to make sure your bildge pump is working and have a very strong battery. Maybe two of each
Been there, done that. Our main boat had 6 bilge pumps and 15 batteries ;)

When the original cover for my Tracker Pro Team 185 bass boat gave up, Chris made a new one using her pro/industrial sewing equipment. This cover has lasted may more years than the original. I'm now trying to find a replacement online, and keep running into issues such as:

- Covers don't extend to the outboard motor, resulting in the ability for rain to enter at the stern of the boat (our winter rains blow directly at the stern of the boat).

- Most covers don't provide for a bow-mounted trolling motor. Chris provided extra space to accommodate the trolling motor, and also added protection for the cover from the trolling motor blades.

- Prices range from $100-$200 to $800+, but there's no assurance that the higher-priced covers will do what I need.

Meanwhile I have an alternator issue (need replacement stator), but I can manage this for the time the boat is on the water.

I keep thinking I should just buy a replacement boat. But, at $30K-$40K, that's an expensive cover and alternator.
Took the old cover off to clean up the boat today, ready for Fall fishing. It's not in as bad shape as I thought; Should do for another season or two.

Waterproof boat covers that only protect the boat from the elements really aren't appropriate for boats that are in the water. They only extend a couple feet from the hull, and are designed to keep the boat free from leaves, dirt, bird droppings, and other debris, which makes sense for boats that are in storage. If your boat is going to be in the water, then you need a cover that has the capability to absorb water and repel water, not just keep the boat clean. This is why the boat manufacturer offers a cover, and why they are much more expensive than the covers that are made simply to protect the boat from the elements and keep it in storage.

Back
Top Bottom