Bath Layouts, Pros and Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodgeman

We have been looking and learning about new and used class A's as much as possible the last couple of months in anticipation of our first purchase.
We note that there seems to be a couple of different schools of thought in the location of the toilet. Some layouts have the toilet separate, some have them with just the sink, and others (not many) have the toilet, sink and shower all in one space. (room).
My question has to do with which is better other than personal preference. That is, are there reasons for having the toilet isolated in its own little room? Or maybe a reason not to? Do RV toilets have an inherent problem that doesn't exist with home toilets? (do they tend to cause more odor?)
Sorry to bring up this delicate question, but having never owned a RV with facilities before, I don't want to make an obvious mistake.
Regards,
Dodgeman

We have what is called a walk-through bath, the toilet is in the same room as the shower and sink.  The alternative floor plan for our motor home with the private head would have lost one set of cabinets in the galley, an unacceptable option.  Also, private heads tend to be very small rooms and can be uncomfortable for larger people.  I suggest you look at the options in any RV you're considering and see if it would work for you, but be sure to identify all the tradeoffs.

I have found that guests are uncomfortable with the head in the shower room rather than a seperate area.  Anyone else notice this?

Joe Bee said:
I have found that guests are uncomfortable with the head in the shower room rather than a seperate area. Anyone else notice this?

That's what the doors are for.  We have not had anyone complain.

Get a head with a SEPARATE toilet room with a door.  Most people do not like to be defecating while someone else is brushing their teeth, showering, or doing something else in the same room 2 feet away.    Also get a Fantastic Fan (brand name) in the ceiling.  Furthermore, any smell can be controlled by running the Fantastic Fan with the door closed.  There are just some things in this world that need to be private. 

JerryF

We could not live in an RV that did not have a separate head as well as a door that closes off the bathroom from the bedroom and front of the coach.

Sue is up early using the bathroom while I snooze away. Also being able to finish our daily toilets while someone is using the head is a must.

Sue would like a 1 1/2 bath but I am not sure we want to waste that much space.

We take turns, it's much easier that way and everyone has their privacy.

We have the all in one room without the toilet in a separate room and like it.? ?We heard once, as we were looking at motorhomes, to try everything, sit everywhere, move around in a coach as if you were living in it to see if everything was comfortable for us.? If you can view the coach without a salesman, go into the separate toilet area, put down the toilet lid and sit on it to see if it is comfortable for you.? Move your elbows in and out to get a feeling of space.? If the room has a sink, stand over the sink and simulate brushing your teeth - do you have enough elbow room?

Also, check the floor plans to see what, if anything, you are giving up in space in other areas.  Each has there own preference on the bath configuration.  You need to find out what works for you.

D2

Jeff Cousins said:
Sue would like a 1 1/2 bath but I am not sure we want to waste that much space.

Interesting Jeff. We consciously looked for and bought a floorplan that had:

• Separate toilet/WC with sink.
  • Separate shower.
  • Additional sink/vanity in the bedroom.

We never used the sink/vanity in the bedroom so, while at Davis Cabinets last year, they provided a sheet of corian that I used to cover the sink and create a counter top.

We also have

Separate toilet/WC with sink.
Separate shower.
Additional sink/vanity in the bedroom.

However, my wife constantly uses the bedroom vanity partly so my shower steam does not interfere with her putting on her make-up and doing her hair, and partly so we're not bumping into each other in a one-cubical bath.

Sometimes we have a guest travel with us.  It's a huge help to be able for one person to use the main bath area while the bedroom vanity is available to a different person.

My brother-in-law has the toilet in the main bath area and calls my separate toilet a "gas chamber."  However, I'd rather have a gas chamber that is confined, private, and EASILY vented than to gas the whole blasted bath, and have it more likely than not to permeate the rest of the coach.

IMHO

Most newer coaches seem to be designed with the premise that only two people (presumably husband and wife) will be using the facilities.  This is likely the case most of the time.  However, privacy trumps convenience when guests are present.

We have a combined shower/tub, vanity and stool in one enclosed room with solid door, along one side of the coach.  This allows access to/from the bedroom without compromising anyones privacy while using the facilities.  Granted this  limits the use to one person at a time unless they are very friendly folks.  We find this layout best when we have traveling guests and or grandchildren with us.  An additional 1/2 bath would be welcome, however.

I have seen a lot of units that have a split bathroom with a glass enclosed shower on one side of the aisle and the remainder of the toilet on the other.  In this arrangement, I would be denied access to my bedroom if say... a guests wife were in the (see through) shower.  It may be physically possible to reach the bedroom by walking past a closed shower door but, I assure you,  the Admiral would deny me that access.

I love my Newmar's plan.  Seperate head with sink and upper and lower  cabinets with sink.  Great overhead fan, window.  Large sized porciline toilet.  Just outside the door is another set of upper and lower cabinets, sink and shower.  Two can get ready at the same time with ease and I have my privacy.  When living with three girls, you need a little privacy ;D

I just wish it had a bigger shower.  I fit fine but my 7'x5' shower at home with tons of water pressure spoils me.

My wife and I like the separation of the Head and the shower/sink.  I think when they are combined you do get more storage space such as a closet for storage.  Our current rig has an all in one configuration which we tolerate and have not had any major issues with.  We do not spend a lot of time in there but if there were more people then we would want them separate.  I guess it is all a tradeoff.

OnaQuest said:
I have seen a lot of units that have a split bathroom with a glass enclosed shower on one side of the aisle and the remainder of the toilet on the other.  In this arrangement, I would be denied access to my bedroom if say... a guests wife were in the (see through) shower.  It may be physically possible to reach the bedroom by walking past a closed shower door but, I assure you,  the Admiral would deny me that access.

I seen 2 new coaches now with 1 1/2 baths; a commode/sink in the normal midships location and one full bath across the back of the bedroom. Of course the design loses some storage and the coaches list for $391k (American Tradition) and $550k (Newmar Essex).

I saw a 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 40DFT, with a full wall slide with the bath-and-a-half configuration.  It was in the low $200K range as equipped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom