Bathroom Fan replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvanony

I have a standard RV bathroom fan with plastic cover that uses a 12 volt one speed fan. It's becoming at time noisy, I tried lubrication but still produces an irritating noise at times.

After looking around for a rv bathroom fan I wasn't able find a replacement fan that's either 2 or 3 speed.

The single speed fans run at one high rpm speed. I would prefer to be able to have fan speed options of low, medium or high or low and high as the only vent in the entire rv is the bathroom. I would like to be able to run the fan at lower speeds in order to  help vent out the rv at a slower and quieter rate.

The only fans found so far are a few range hood fans (two or three speeds) which appear can be adapted? The range hood fans are larger in size and use a similar cross member for fan support.

Is that  pretty much my only option is to look for a multi speed range hood fan or there are other multi-speed fan options?

I don't really want to replace the entire fan with an expensive 2 or 3 speed bathroom fan.

I did find this one that's less expensive than some running $150.00+

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vortex-Ugrade-Multi-Speed/dp/B00APSSPEA

However what I would really prefer is a multi-speed bathroom fan with a screen that can be easily removed and installed again.

Sounds like you might like a Fantastic Fan:

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-802250-Roof-Vent-Thermostat/dp/B001MXH9FS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536090425&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fantastic+fan&psc=1

They make several versions so look around.

If you're talking about those tiny fans most RV manufacturers use, their noise is unbelievable.  We've replaced every one we've had (immediately if not sooner) with the Fantastic Fans which are far superior.  You can get variable speed as well as in/out and temperature sensitive (e.g. turns on when it gets warmer).  They even have moisture sensors, but you have to be careful of them if they're right next to the shower.  We disabled that function.

ArdraF

Definitely replace with a Fantastic Fan, you'll be glad you did

We replaced the noisy bathroom fan in the trailer with the Fantastic fan that had been in the bedroom, and then we replaced the bedroom fan with a MaxxAire fan. The models differ in how quiet they are, but our MaxxAire was by far the quietest fan we have ever had. Ten speeds IIRC plus a very handy remote with thermostat control.

I recently replaced my little screen banger fan with a Hengs Vortex...single speed version.  It actually does what a fan is supposed to do for less money and easier install than a fantastic or max fan....but wackymac is right.  It's not quiet exactly.

They have a multi-speed version for a bit more money....I'm sure it wouldn't be silent but maybe something to consider.

I wasn't opposed to getting a fantastic fan or similar, but figured
a) this thing is only for very occasional use...just to run a couple minutes at a time at most.
b) a noisy fan will help me to be aware when someone leaves it on
...so I don't mind it.

oh, and if you look on amazon, you'll see under "commonly purchased with this item", that a lot of folks buy a cheap variable speed control with the single speed fan to make it basically infinite speed settings

I ended up putting a 200mm computer fan with LED light (great night light). I was going to use the fan for another purpose that I changed my mind. 20 buck. Quiet.

Not sure how to post a pic....

I replaced mine with a Fantastic and found it to be much quieter than what I had before, but my DW still finds it to be too noisy.

I replaced mine with a 1 speed and noticed that the fan scrapes the screen and made a noise or if you want to control speed you can get a potentiometer but you will need to know the impedance ( resistance ) of the fan. Here is a link in how to calculate
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-wire-a-potentiometer-to-a-fan

After reading your recommendations, I'm looking at a Fan-Tastic Vent Fan Model 1200 3 Speed  with manual lift, appears to be a perfect replacement fan.

Also found a Fan-Tastic Fan on eBay which appears to be only replacement parts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113121311035?ViewItem=&item=113121311035

I suppose I could purchase a new single  speed rv bathroom fan motor and then add a potentiometer to it.

I did come across what is described as a 120mm 3 speed computer fan, apparently has some sort of control line for variable speed control. It comes without any documentation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12-volt-DC-120mm-3-speed-computer-fan-in-original-box/142903396440?hash=item2145b4c858:g:M~gAAOSwB-1YzaLV

I did find several potentiometers that can handle up to two or three amps. The standard single  speed motors I believer are from around ~1 to 2 amps.

2 amp

ttps://www.amazon.com/RioRand-RR-PWM-15V-Voltage-Motor-Controller/dp/B00N30UK2M/ref=asc_df_B00N30UK2M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193988463246&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8923182168528069730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033530&hvtargid=pla-307401650806&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/uniquegoods-1803BKW-Controller-Adjustable-Driver/dp/B00RYKR83Q/ref=asc_df_B00RYKR83Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135564802&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8923182168528069730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033530&hvtargid=pla-306997671815&psc=1

3 amp

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Controller-Adjustable-Reversible-Reversing/dp/B071H2YQG5/ref=asc_df_B071H2YQG5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198082911489&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8923182168528069730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033530&hvtargid=pla-414082996277&psc=1

One question I have is how would you keep the potentiometer clean and protested from air-born dust and moisture from taking showers.

Rene T said:
One question I have is how would you keep the potentiometer clean and protested from air-born dust and moisture from taking showers.

In the Heng's vortex it would be mounted in place of the on/off switch inside the housing.  Wouldn't be a jury rig at all...

I purchased the  potentiometer with the switch which I'll try installing in the same location as the existing fan switch. All I would need to do is run the wires to the bathroom fans motor.

As someone stated not all motors can be controlled by a potentiometer. I'll give it a try to see if it works.

I replaced my small bathroom fan with a Heng's Vortex II 2 years ago and it works great. It is a 3 speed reversible 9" fan that pulls so much air thru an open window we don't need to run the AC as much. It does not require modifications to the existing vent. Its pretty much plug and play with any brand of vent so you don't have to remove the existing vent or recaulk. Just remove the inside trim, unscrew and remove the old fan, splice the new wires into the old, screw the new fan in, and replace the trim. It took about 30 minutes to install. I had read it was extremely noisy but I also read an easy way to stop the noise. It will suck the screen up into the fan blades which makes the noise. Just cut a 1/8" wide piece of aluminum flashing (or whatever) about 10" long, bow it slightly and super glue it to the screen so the screen dips down away from the fan blades. This keeps the screen from hitting the blade so it is as quiet as a Fantastic fan for 1/3 the cost.  Here it is for $65:

https://www.recpro.com/exterior-parts/vents/roof-vents/hengs-90046-cr-vortex-ii-fan-kit-multi-speed/

blw2 said:
In the Heng's vortex it would be mounted in place of the on/off switch inside the housing.  Wouldn't be a jury rig at all...
If the motor has resistance ( impedance) it will work except the motors in a Dyson:)
If motors have impedance it will work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom