Bathroom skylight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

My bathroom skylight is developing the yellowish look outside.  I wonder if there is something to clean it and make it look new.  Any suggestions? Any recommendation based on first hand exoerience?

I have never cleaned one but be very very careful, that plastic can get very brittle from exposure but seem strong until you handle it.  The one over my shower crumbled in my hand when i removed it but seemed strong enough before i broke it.  Just be carefull it may turn into a bigger job than just cleaning it..  :)

You might consider the kits they sell at auto stores to clean up and polish headlamp plastic covers on cars.  Basically a sanding process to remove old top layer with a compound, then a finish sealer.

Here are some suggested methods.  Results vary, and "plastic" covers a wide variety of materials.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-whiten-yellowed-plastic/

I used peroxide on several yellowed plastic pieces and they turned out white again. best if you can get a black light on it but the sun has enough UV to bleach it out.

My brother told me if I spray my yellowed headlight lenses with Insect repellent..... they'll look like new.  ???

sightseers said:
My brother told me if I spray my yellowed headlight lenses with Insect repellent..... they'll look like new.  ???

That actually works but don't spray the lens directly, it can be damaged. Get the highest Deet concentration pump spray you can find, spray a paper towel and scrub, yellow comes right off. As soon as you're done wash the lens so there's no residue remaining

I don't know about a skylight, but I've used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on headlights. Worked pretty well. As fragile as some skylights feel, one may not be able to use enough pressure to do any good.

kdbgoat said:
As fragile as some skylights feel, one may not be able to use enough pressure to do any good.

Good point. May want to use softer towels rather than paper towels

Back2PA said:
That actually works but don't spray the lens directly, it can be damaged. Get the highest Deet concentration pump spray you can find, spray a paper towel and scrub, yellow comes right off. As soon as you're done wash the lens so there's no residue remaining
That stuff melts plastic (and does weird stuff to brand new leather seats - dont ask!).... is it safe to leave without washing it off straight away?

jackiemac said:
That stuff melts plastic (and does weird stuff to brand new leather seats - dont ask!).... is it safe to leave without washing it off straight away?

No it's not safe, which is why I mentioned "as soon as you're done wash the lens". You're definitely right Jackie, I melted two fog lenses when someone told me to spray the lens directly, so thanks for emphasizing this.

As mentioned and I found out, they get very brittle.  Went to clean mine and it broke.  I'll replace eventually but for now, some white duct tape gently applied is keeping it from getting worse.

Here's a link for a replacement.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/PREMIUM-Heavy-Duty-17-x-24-rv-INTERIOR-replacement-SKYLIGHT-WHITE-plastic-roof-trailer/166461263

Back2PA said:
No it's not safe, which is why I mentioned "as soon as you're done wash the lens". You're definitely right Jackie, I melted two fog lenses when someone told me to spray the lens directly, so thanks for emphasizing this.

Missed the 'wash the lens' bit!  ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom