batteries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pghcmper

this whole rv thing is new to me, so i have many questions.

i was wondering what is the difference between deep cycle batteries and regular car batteries?
is there a reason why i should use one over the other?
i can get regular car batteries for nothing, any reason i should purchase another type?

Deep cycle batteries are best suited for running the various appliances and lights in your RV.  They are designed for a continuous current draw over a period of time.  Car batteries are designed to supply a large current for starting for a very short period of time.

pghcmper said:
i was wondering what is the difference between deep cycle batteries and regular car batteries?
is there a reason why i should use one over the other?
i can get regular car batteries for nothing, any reason i should purchase another type?

Car starting batteries have many thin plates and are designed to deliver a sudden, short time,  high amperage current to operate a starter motor in turning an engine over.  Deep cycle batteries have few thick plates and are designed to deliver a steady moderate amperage current over a long period of time.  Starter batteries are vulnerable to deep cycling, repeated deep discharges will quickly degrade them.  The thick plates of the deep cycle batteries resist this degradation and are better suited to deep cycling as in powering the lighting and appliances in an RV. 

Trying to push a starting battery into RV house applications is going to quickly wreck the battery and adversely affect the operation of your appliances -- like your water pump, fridge, and furnace.  Nothing like running out of the juice to run your furnace at 3am on a morning in the low 40s.

With all the discussions about batteries, I decided to check mine.  Sure enough those sap-suckers were dead.  Took them out last night for a slow charge.  This AM  Na Da. Nothing.Oh Well off to the Interstate store tomorrow after Horseshoes at Happy Trails.  Dang and these are only 19 months old.  Maybe they'll give me a break on them.

The others gave you true advice, but if you can actually get car batteries for free on a regular basis, you may as well use them.  Just plan on replacing them every 12-18 months or before any planned heavy use (e.g. a week of boondocking).

Shayne,

Check the warranty on the batteries.  You may get a prorated price.

thanks for all the good advise, i plan on replacing the car batteries twice a year, unless problems arise.

I will Ned  Thanks  already figured on that.  Bought back home via NAPA Store and they Replaced the starter battery a few months ago.  I do have the paper work so will be no problem.

Back
Top Bottom