Battery and electricity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevesquires

I'be posting once before on this- but have no solution. I have a brand new deep cycle marine battery. I re placed the old one because it would never hold a charge. Figured a new one would work.

Installed if and I'm having the same problem. Not charging when I'm plugged into the house, the 30amp at campsites. When I check the batter it registers as zero. 

Please - what and I doing wrong here. Is this a battery problem or electrical problem?  The bigger issue is that I can't run my refrigerator off propane since there is zero electricity to spark it on.

HELP :)

stevesquires said:
Installed if and I'm having the same problem. Not charging when I'm plugged into the house, the 30amp at campsites. When I check the batter it registers as zero. 
How and where are you checking the battery voltage?  Are you checking directly across the battery or elsewhere?  Do you have lights where plugged into shore power?

Check your charger fuses? (Look carefully like mine are on the back side of the charger out of sight)

Is the 120 VAC breaker for the charger tripped?

Is the charger creating any output voltage? (Possibly the charger failed?)

Suspects include the installation (Reversed?) The converter, fuses and circuit breakers and the disconnect switch

Recommendation, since this battery may have been destroyed by the ZERO charge state,  (They really do not like that, no battery does) Look for a TROLLING motor battery next time you shop for one. They are a bit more forgiving, but still not this much.

Molaker said:
How and where are you checking the battery voltage?  Are you checking directly across the battery or elsewhere?  Do you have lights where plugged into shore power?
I'll ask these again because the likelihood of a battery reading zero right after it is installed is nil - without a lot of smoke.  I suspect the battery is not in the circuit - open connection somewhere (battery cutout switch, loose cable, etc.).

As it turned out both the 40 amp fuses the supply power to trailer and battery were blown - I replaced them and voila all worked fine :)

Thanks for all your responses!

Double check the polarity of your battery connections - blowing dual 40 amp fuses on the output of the converter is usually caused by hooking up a battery backwards.  The converter looks like a dead short to reversed voltage and the fuses blow.

Incandescent lights will work with either polarity, circuit boards and other electronics not so much.

Back
Top Bottom