Battery cable connector crimp tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

Anyone know a good source for 1/0 cable connector lug crimping tooll ?

Leo

Have you tried a welding supply shop? If you just need a few crimps on a new cable, some battery shops will make them to size for you.

A long handled bolt cutter will work (if the jaws open enough)--- much to my amazement as I watched a dealer mech deftly use one. He got the leverage he needed but was careful not to  go too far!!!
Regards from Memphis

Tweedy said:
A long handled bolt cutter will work (if the jaws open enough)--- much to my amazement as I watched a dealer mech deftly use one. He got the leverage he needed but was careful not to  go too far!!!
Regards from Memphis

That's an interesting thought. I'll check it out. Thanks

Tom said:
Leo

Have you tried a welding supply shop? If you just need a few crimps on a new cable, some battery shops will make them to size for you.

I have a place in Nashville that custom makes new cables for me and does a great job. But I need to do this on cables in the motorhome that I can't remove at least not without sisassembling the power compartment. The design is defintiely not user friendly.

Ron said:
Have you Googled for crimping tools yet?  Might turn something up.

Yes, did that for some fairly long period of time before posting on here. Found only same tool at all sites and very expensive.~$200
Have since recalled that I used a hammer crimp tool years ago and found they are still made so bought one for $20. Problem will be that I can't get either a solid surface to use the hammer and in any case the swing would be limited by the compartment size. I'm hoping to jury rig a C clamp to apply presssure like a vise.

Leo

My suggestion re a welding supply house was for the possibility that they might sell crimpers.

Ron said:
How about a large pair of Vise Grips.  I have use vise grips with a piece of metal rod to crimp large connectors.

Don't have and probably nearly as expensive as crimp tool to get one large enough to do 1/0 cable. However, I may have come up with another way based upon the earlier message suggesting bolt cutters. I have tree branch loper that has about 30 inch handles which should give plenty of leverage. The one blade is very sharp but think a couple wraps of duct tape might make it usable. Give it a try this afternoon if weather (gees a hurricane all ready) permits.

blueblood said:
tree branch loper.....a couple wraps of duct tape

Pretty darned creative Leo, and a lot cheaper than buying a big crimper. Let us know if it works.

Tom said:
Pretty darned creative Leo, and a lot cheaper than buying a big crimper. Let us know if it works.

Well, it worked great. Got a good crimp although it doesn't look as professional as I'd like. I'm leaving on a 4 month trip soon with a lot less concern than an hour ago. ;D

Thanks for the feedback Leo. I'll have to remember that one. Of course, professional cable guys would scoff at your solution because there's some math involved with calculating the correct geometry of a crimp. But, if it works, who needs math?

Can not help you with a battery cable tool, but for smaller wires I recently picked up a professional grade tool

I have used the bolt cutter (well wire cutter in the case of smaller wires) method before, I imagine a bolt cutter modified would be an excelnt tool (Modification,,, Hold the sharp edges to a grinder and smooth them a bit so they don't cut the connector, You want a rounded instead of a sharp... Using ascii,, They come like this ><  and you want them like this ) (

(Gee, Ascii works great for that one)

Anyway... Tried it out and to be honest.... The results look "Factory" to me, best crimps I've ever done

John In Detroit said:
(Gee, Ascii works great for that one)

Don't know what you mean John, although I know what ASII means. Just type regular old text and it works here just fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom